PDA

View Full Version : Not all that impressed with Menzerna IP

Ed Hartman
01-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I tested this out on my black conversion van in 2ft by 2ft area.The swirls/defects in my opinion were not that bad. I pounded the same area 3 times with my PC and Orange power pad and not a whole lot of results,better but ho hum. And yes I worked the dog meat out of this polish. I guess this polish isn`t really very aggressive at all. Gloss was nice, shine was nice, not very hard to remove at all, but not a whole lot of cutting ability. Maybe if I had followed up with FP2 after the fact it may have helped, but I was just testing. I guess this is better suited to a rotary. I have some 3m Perfect It 2 Fine Cut compound on the shelf I guess I will try next.

6']['9
01-03-2005, 08:04 PM
what would you perfer to use? if you dont want that IP if i have anything you want ill trade ya.

Bill D
01-03-2005, 08:20 PM
I would say calling it "Intensive" Polish is rather misleading. Not particularly intensive in my experience either. I`ve found it to be slightly more effective via Cyclo but I would say it is highly dependant on your paint: I wouldn`t be surprised if it performs better on some paints than others.

Carl Anderson
01-03-2005, 08:41 PM
I also agree that this is not an aggressive product. I used it with my rotary on some scratches on my 93 Volvo last week, and found it didn`t do a great job. It is not any more aggressive than DACP, that is for sure.

l33
01-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Not that it isn`t agressive, but best suited for the rotary. Even with that you may need a couple of passes. But it DEFINITLY is agressive. I rarely need to use the Power Gloss. This takes out most defects when using the rotary with the white or yellow pad.

What was teh RPM you used it with the rotary, usually i`ll get it up to 1800.

Corey Bit Spank
01-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Didn`t do a great job by PC for me. Hoping that by rotary it will:)

imported_Burlyq
01-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Ed Hartman

I guess this polish isn`t really very aggressive at all. Gloss was nice, shine was nice, not very hard to remove at all, but not a whole lot of cutting ability.

IP was designed with the intention of being able to get fine scratches out and then being able to go straight to sealant, so no it`s not aggressive, but it is very effective. If you have bad swirls, use powergloss that`s what that is for. I too use it with a rotary, and when I polish a light car I go straight to sealant. When I do a Black car I use FPII. I`m not aware of any other polish that is about 5 on abrasive scale that you can go straight to sealant with the same results as IP.

I keep telling people IP is a white pad product, yes you can use an orange, but if the job looks like an orange pad job go bigger or stay home. Ed says, "gloss was nice and shine was nice," you can`t expect that from a heavy cut compound. I also have had great success with this product taking off oxidation, swirls, spiderwebs, and anything that you can`t feel with your nail. If you can feel it good with your nail, you need the big boys.

stevet
01-03-2005, 11:41 PM
IP is not aggressive at all. It is slightly more abrasive than 3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze and MG is very mild. Of course IP is more aggressive when using a rotary, what abrasive isn`t. I have seen IP ranked 5 or 6 out of 10 on a couple abrasive scales and IMO that is an incorrect ranking. IP is a 3 or 4 at best.

Burlyq, 3M Perfect IT III Rubbing Compound is much more abrasive than IP and when used with a polishing pad will leave as nice a finish as IP. You can go straight to a LSP if you want. I usually follow up with a lighter polish but I really don`t see much difference when I do.