PDA

View Full Version : Quick Natty`s & Souveran Comparison

TW85 HHI
01-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Vehicle: 2002 F-150 Supercrew, black

I did not have the time to do a wash and really just wanted to quickly see what Souveran and Natty`s looked like on black paint, so I Spray & Wiped the front fender and two left side doors. The fender was my "control" in that it is still AIO + SG + S100 (if there is any S100 left) from September. The driver`s door received a coat of Natty`s while the rear driver`s door received a coat of Souveran.

Honestly, the appearance between the two waxes is nearly identical, with Souveran having a slight edge because it is clearer. The Natty`s put an ever so slight white tint (haze like) to the paint while the Souveran was extremely clear. As far as wetness and warmth, they were identical in my opinion, and I think the difference(s) would be too minute to even see.

Souveran looks great but so does the Natty`s, and for a daily driver or a car that is not shown, I really am not able to justify the extra $45+ that Souveran demands. A difference is really only noticeable upon close inspection (why I mentioned car shows).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/TW85/Comparison.jpg

Left side: Natty`s ------ Right Side: Souveran

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/TW85/January.jpg

This is before applying wax...in theory it is just AIO + SG + S100, though I bet it is really just AIO + SG.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/TW85/Nattys.jpg

With Natty`s.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/TW85/Souveran.jpg

With Souveran.

Again, this is just a quick comparison that I wanted to do and the results surprised me.

Flame suit on, if need be.

mtodde
01-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Interesting comparison Greg...I think you really just wanted to play with your new camera, LOL.

I guess it is possible you would have seen more differences with more prep work, but even for the average Autopian Natty`s is a great value.

stilez
01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
We tested Natty`s vs. Souveran at the Poorboy`s detailing day over the summer.

The results were extremely close.

We felt Natty`s was a touch wetter, whereas Souveran had a touch better depth of color (clearer like you said). All in all, too close for me to justify the large amount of extra money.

Have you tried Trade Secret?

imported_Burlyq
01-03-2005, 04:59 PM
You can tell that sealant alone makes it look more reflective and with either nuba it looks less reflective but more wetter. Pretty much what I`d expect. Why didn`t you try the s100 too, just curious? The one thing that is said about s100 is that it is more reflective than any nuba out there, maybe not the wettest though. I`m going to try s100 against natty`s to see for mYself, I like them both. Keep the flame suit for next time you don`t need it here.

Pats300zx
01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Have you tried Trade Secret?

I know some tests were done on a red Lexus SC300 between TS and Souveran (prior posts). I believe it was hard to tell the diff. I guess for a daily driver it can be hard to justify the extra money when Natty`s, S100, and TS look the same in comparison.

TW85 HHI
01-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Burlyq,

Never know. Like with Zaino, there are Souveran fanatics and comparing it to a $15 jar of wax may not set well with them. ;)

I topped AIO + SG with S100 back in September when I did a full detail on the truck and I was not pleased with the look S100 gave. In fact, I`m not pleased with S100 on silver either so I may trade it for something.

Sean,

I have not tried Trade Secret. I was going to order it but then decided to buy a Pinnacle kit that included Souveran. Supposedly they`re very similar so I decided to not spend an extra $30.

I`m glad I have Souveran to try and use but unless I had a show car, I would not spend the $60-70 for it. Its benefits just aren`t worth the extra cost for a daily driver.

Scottwax
01-03-2005, 05:37 PM
The Souveran side looks ever so slightly darker, based on how the reflections look. It also looks like you missed a little because it looks like there is some hazing too. :nixweiss

Where I find Souveren to be superior is when looking at the paint at an angle, it seems to look a bit richer than other carnaubas. Is it worth the difference? It is to me, but it might not be to others.

TW85 HHI
01-03-2005, 05:51 PM
The hazing is in the picture for some reason, not on the actual paint. I agree that the Souveran side is slightly darker...I pointed it out to my dad to see if he noticed too but of course he couldn`t tell a difference.

SuperTDI
01-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I totaly agree with Scott.

I can tell the diference on my car and like it better. Of course, I understand that the majority think diferently. :)

SilverLexus
01-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I can tell the diference on my car and like it better.

Me too. $15 for S100 or Natty`s is a great deal however.

I have tried both extensively and I find Natty`s to be slightest let wet than Souveran. It is more reflective like S100 on black paints. It`s a great look also, but Souveran has a special "paint melting in the driveway" look. It is pricey but I am getting tons of applications per jar so cost per app may be not so bad.

Greg, thanks for the review and test. I`m glad you are enjoying your new camera. :)

TW85 HHI
01-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Don`t get me wrong, I did notice a slight difference between Natty`s and Souveran and there was certainly enough difference to justify using Souveran on a show car. My only question is if there is enough difference to justify the extra cost for use on a daily driver. It is all a matter of opinion.

SilverLexus
01-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Maybe for a basic daily driver no, but if you have a Porsche 997 or are just Autopian and want the best, then buying a jar for $48 during a sale that will probably last all year is not so bad. :)

What`s great about the review is the clarity of the pictures. You need to take some pics of my car...and Todd`s.

TW85 HHI
01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
You two will have to come to Hilton Head for that. I can`t stand Atlanta traffic! :eek:

:)