PDA

View Full Version : Rotary novice needs practice

rmaurin
01-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi All,

I have been using a PC for a few months. I kind of got the hang of it. Not a pro...but pretty good. I think I understand what the machine is capable of.

I just got a Makita rotary. Nice machine. I would like to learn how to use it before I put it close to my car.

Since I donâ€â„¢t have a spare car or junk trunk lid to practice on, I looked around my home for something to polish. My wife gave me the OK to use the washer and dryer.

I installed a 6-inch Megs polishing pad with DACP. Started at 1000 RPM and went to 1500 RPM. It did not make a dent on the scratches. I then tried the Megs cutting pad and Diamond Cut. Same speeds. Both polishes dusted and the top of the dryer was very hot. Scratches looked exactly the same. I thought at least that I would have burnt the finish since I am a rookie. Oh well.

Have you had success with your washer/dryer as a rotary test bed? The finish on my dryer is now very shiny...but still scratched. Is it because the porcelain is hard as granite? Or did I do somthing wrong? Any other things to polish around the house? What did you practice on?

Thanks

Rich Maurin

Bill D
01-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Could very well be.

Often times a body shop will give you a scrap panel or two for free! I`d highly recommend trying to get on to practice on.

HTH

imported_Burlyq
01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
You have a great machine and it`s not as dangerous as people think. Just remember, medium speed and no or very little pressure. Let the speed, pad, and polish do the cutting. As for washing machine, I`ve never tried it on one so I can`t say. Also, try the menzerna line of polishes, they are great for rotary`s and you can renue them with water, and moisten applicator with water prior to using, that is a benefit when using your machine. Stay away from high speeds and pressure and you`ll be alright. I`m not sure about the "continuous pressure pads" i`d do a search before buying this type of pad. I don`t use them so I can`t say. I like 2000 to 3000 rpms, for polishing.

Celly
01-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by rmaurin

Hi All,

I have been using a PC for a few months. I kind of got the hang of it. Not a pro...but pretty good. I think I understand what the machine is capable of.

I just got a Makita rotary. Nice machine. I would like to learn how to use it before I put it close to my car.

Since I donâ€â„¢t have a spare car or junk trunk lid to practice on, I looked around my home for something to polish. My wife gave me the OK to use the washer and dryer.

I installed a 6-inch Megs polishing pad with DACP. Started at 1000 RPM and went to 1500 RPM. It did not make a dent on the scratches. I then tried the Megs cutting pad and Diamond Cut. Same speeds. Both polishes dusted and the top of the dryer was very hot. Scratches looked exactly the same. I thought at least that I would have burnt the finish since I am a rookie. Oh well.

Have you had success with your washer/dryer as a rotary test bed? The finish on my dryer is now very shiny...but still scratched. Is it because the porcelain is hard as granite? Or did I do somthing wrong? Any other things to polish around the house? What did you practice on?

Thanks

Rich Maurin

If you goto a junk yard you can get some 1 off body skins for cheap. I know I have been to a few junk yards that have "No Clue" piles they sell to be used as scrap. Or Split Fiberglass / Plastic panels from accidents that they simply throw away. I see this as a decent option for practicing...