PDA

View Full Version : Winter rubber mats - get rid of rubber smell?

imported_strega
01-03-2005, 01:17 PM
I`ve searched and haven`t been able to come up with an answer for this. I have a set of Honda OEM rubber winter floor mats for my `03 sedan and they literally stink! All I can smell is that rubber odor coming from them, it`s not over-powering but it is there. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of or minimize the rubber odor? I already have an air freshener in the car and it only helps somewhat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dcswd
01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Just a thought....

what if you dressed the mats really well with 303 or some other product you like and let them sit for a while. Then wipe the dressing off as well as you can.

Assuming the excess dressing would wipe off well enough, the odor should be controlled. Maybe you could try it out on a small section first.

armoredsaint
01-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Use APC and scrub it gently, then hose it off. That`s what I did and it works great.

imported_strega
01-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by armoredsaintt

Use APC and scrub it gently, then hose it off. That`s what I did and it works great.

Didn`t think of that, I`ll give it a try. Thanks.

imported_The Uncle
01-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by dcswd

Just a thought....

what if you dressed the mats really well with 303 or some other product you like and let them sit for a while. Then wipe the dressing off as well as you can.

Assuming the excess dressing would wipe off well enough, the odor should be controlled. Maybe you could try it out on a small section first.

I once put 303 on my All season mats. It was like driving with an ice skating rink under my feet! Mats got real slippery.

Blazern00b
01-03-2005, 06:58 PM
After applying the dressing you have to remove it a bit. I have been applying the dressing, letting it soak in, and then wiping it off, followed by wiping the mats and peddles with a rag soaked with some APC, in my case, some simple green that was cut 10:1 with water. Works great!

Master Gaignun
01-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I just received brand new OEM mats as well today and the rubber smell certainly did bother me. Someone suggested some leather cleaner or conditioner to make the rubber smell more like the leather interior. The rubber smell is seriously overcoming the "new car leather smell". :doh