PDA

View Full Version : quick anwser nxt & Megs #7

randomman84
01-03-2005, 08:24 AM
im gonna try this combo on my black camry today unless anyone has any objections. lemme know, quick i need an anwser bc im in the process of cleaning right now. i guess the worst i could do is put it on and not like the way it looks. if i dont here from anyone i guess ill try it and post pics. i was also thinking s100 and nxt. ideas?

milky
01-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi :) I think the nxt will remove the #7 though. Nxt has cleaners in it. Do you have some #16? Try it you won`t be disappointed:xyxthumbs

edit: you might have a hard time removing #7 also.. It can really be a bear to remove.

imported_wblynch
01-03-2005, 09:48 AM
I use #7 under NXT on my Red single-stage `97 Mustang. The reults are stunning. The #7 really brings out the red.

I also used #7 under the NXT on my metallic black Jaguar S-Type. The results were fine but on that car I think either #81 under the NXT or just NXT would have been better.

I think #7 is good for dark single stage paints and probably less effective on base/clear coat paints.

joyriiide1113
01-03-2005, 09:55 AM
i may be wrong but i had intended the use of 3m imperial hand glaze topped with a sealant (non-carnuba) and they highly suggested iw ouldnt for the bonding issues associated with glazes. they told me that glazes leave behind oils that make it hard for synthetic waxes to bond to the finsh. which is why glazes are always set to be followed by a pure carnuba.

the same way u cant layer a sealant over a carnuba. i think the same thing applies. oh and whats up everyone. ive always read a lot here on autopia.org but always posted on detailcity. so this would techinically be my first post.

Accumulator
01-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by wblynch

I use #7 under NXT on my Red single-stage `97 Mustang. The reults are stunning. The #7 really brings out the red.

I also used #7 under the NXT on my metallic black Jaguar S-Type. The results were fine but on that car I think either #81 under the NXT or just NXT would have been better.

I think #7 is good for dark single stage paints and probably less effective on base/clear coat paints.

The above reflects my experiences with #7 too (which I`ve used on/off since the `70s). Great on SS, not so great on b/c. #81 works better on b/c and so does #5 (my favorite product of this type). The stuff #7 is designed to do just doesn`t really apply too well (you can take that literally too ;) ) when it comes to b/c paint due to the different paint technology.

But #7 will still add a little something to most b/c and NXT`s cleaners will not (supposedly, at least according to the folks at Meguiar`s) strip it all off.

hirosh
01-03-2005, 01:43 PM
i`ve only had experience with #7 on a SS paint, and it seemed difficult to use. but if you are going to use #7, meguiarsonline.com has an article with tips on how to use #7.

topnotchtouch
01-03-2005, 02:08 PM
NXT does have very mild cleaners but, it will not completely remove #7 unless you treat it like a cleaner wax and really rub it in. If you apply NXT like a LSP and just apply it with minimal pressure you should be just fine using it over #7. People tend to exagerate the cleaning abilities of NXT.

Not sure if you have used #7 yet but, here is a great thread on how to use it as it can be finicky.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740

Inzane
01-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I`ve used the #83/#81/NXT combo very successfully on my black Z. Looks awesome!

#81 Hand Polish is more or less the same as #7 Show Car Glaze, just more specific to basecoat/clearcoat as others have stated.

tripper_11
01-03-2005, 09:14 PM
you can apply #7 under NXT if you really want. NXT`s mild cleaners won`t remove so much of #7. but mind you, by the time you finish #7 by hand (see Mike Philips` instructions on the Hall of Fame), you won`t have enough energy to do NXT.

And also, don`t expect best result with NXT upon INITIAL application.

NXT "ultra deep wet look shine" will be achieved only after 12-24 hours from the time you buffed it off...

I guess this is the reason why some people dislike NXT...coz they don`t see that "ultra deep wet look shine" immediately after application...

I have 3 coats of NXT and on my way to the 4th...my silver metallic CR-V looks like liquid silver! I`ll be posting the pics and the process as soon as achieved 5 coats, and see if it`s still creating that which I call "deepening effect."

EDIT:

For those of you who may be wondering, I`ve just given NXT a good deal of experiment (during the holiday season), specifically on layering. Just wanted to push NXT`s limit! and I`m not promoting it neither do I intend to bash another product, just pure experiment. :D

txz28
01-04-2005, 07:50 AM
I have done the #7/NXT combo several times and like the results. I use it mainly on my 2002 dark blue camaro. I definatly notice a difference of with and without #7. It seems darker and more wet with the #7.

I don`t feel that it it tiring or cumber some to remove #7 by hand, just follow Mike`s suggestions. It works well for me. I am in a humid climate, so that may affect my #7 experience. It never dries very hard.

tripper_11
01-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by txz28

I have done the #7/NXT combo several times and like the results. I use it mainly on my 2002 dark blue camaro. I definatly notice a difference of with and without #7. It seems darker and more wet with the #7.

I don`t feel that it it tiring or cumber some to remove #7 by hand, just follow Mike`s suggestions. It works well for me. I am in a humid climate, so that may affect my #7 experience. It never dries very hard.

just to add to your post, #7`s oil wet look under NXT is only apparent in dark colors. I`ve tried this combo on silver and dark blue metallic. the human eye wasn`t able to distinguish #7 under NXT from those NXT only in silver.

However, #7`s presence under NXT is fairly noticeable on a dark blue metallic F-150. So I guess it has something to do with the color.

Yes, humidity is one very important factor especially #7`s gumming characteristic!:D