PDA

View Full Version : Got buffing pads and poorboys??

stluciedetail
11-12-2004, 09:00 PM
ok, i just got these today. http://www.autopaintersupply.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/3m5700sm.jpg http://www.autopaintersupply.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/SC2003.jpg http://www.autopaintersupply.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/SC2004.jpg

I dont know what the white one is for?? the green one is light cutting. the blue is for polishing, i know that :) . but the thing is, i got the rotary and the pads. now its what products to get. ive seen that a lot of people on here have used poorboys products are they good? and if i do go with them what do i need. im starting a detailing biz but the only thing im not sure on is buffing. if i get a car that has oxidized paint and some scratches, what is are good steps to follow and what products to use. something that will buff, remove the swirls (if any) and polish. thanks alot

ZACH

rollman
11-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Its hard to tell from the pics but that white pad looks like a wool pad not foam. Do you have experience with using a rotary ? If not I would suggest before you start learning on cutomers cars that you get yourself a hood and practice on it . Also do some reading here. Use the search feature and it should help you out . Good luck

stluciedetail
11-13-2004, 03:29 PM
and where do all of you buy your poorboys products from?

dimedrol
11-13-2004, 03:35 PM
and where do all of you buy your poorboys products from?

Here at PAC:rockin

Poorboy
11-13-2004, 03:39 PM
You can check my distributor page on my web site www.poorboysworld.com for a distributor near you...

or you can buy from one of Detail City`s sponsors:

Premium Autocare .. www.premiumautocare.com ..10% discount code is detailcity

Autogeek www.autogeek.net 10% discount code is detailcity

Specialty Motoring ...Scott has some specials and kits www.specialtymotoring.com

and also the newest sponsor of DC ..OCDpharmacy www.ocdpharmacy.com

and of course there`s me:D

stluciedetail
11-14-2004, 06:45 PM
anyone? i know all of you guys use poorboys! what do i need?

Eliot Ness
11-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Please don’t take this the wrong way Zach, but if you don’t know what polishes to use I don’t think you have any business going near a car with a rotary buffer. A PC is very forgiving and you almost have to throw it at the car to do any damage, but with a rotary you can burn through a finish in a heartbeat.

Like rollman said, you need to read up on using a rotary, practice on some scrap hood or fenders, and if possible find someone willing to teach you how to use it properly.

Here is one link on rotary usage:

http://www.repairnation.com/paint_n_bodywork/buffing/wetsand&buffing1.htm

I don’t think this is the best how-to on the subject but it will at least get you started.

As for the Poorboy’s polishes you’d be hard pressed to go wrong with SSR2.5 and SSR1. If you run into more serious defects you may want to have some SSR3 on hand.

John

stluciedetail
11-14-2004, 09:33 PM
what is soo good about the porter cable? doesnt it spin like a rotary?

Eliot Ness
11-14-2004, 09:49 PM
The PC doesn’t spin like a rotary, it sort of randomly oscillates. The benefit of the PC is it is much faster than working by hand, it has almost no learning curve, and you don’t have to worry about burning paint, trim, etc. like you do with a rotary. It also has much less product splatter than you’ll get with a rotary.

The advantages of a rotary is it will remove more severe paint defects, and do so faster, than a PC. The only problem is unless you are skilled in using a rotary you run a very good chance of damaging the finish you’re working on.

There are a LOT of paint defects you can correct with a PC and do so much safer than with a rotary. The rotary is a valuable tool for a detailer skilled in it’s use, but until you have experience using one you may want to start out with a PC.

stluciedetail
11-14-2004, 10:05 PM
so by ocsillating do you mean like an orbital buffer?

sQuashed
11-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Your going to start a detail business with a rotary and no knowledge of what pads and products?

Eliot Ness
11-14-2004, 10:30 PM
so by ocsillating do you mean like an orbital buffer?
Similar, but the PC uses a random orbit, it`s more like a vibration but in multiple directions.

mtodde
11-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Your going to start a detail business with a rotary and no knowledge of what pads and products?

At least he is asking questions and seems willing to learn...

stluciedetail
11-14-2004, 11:25 PM
i know how to do it, just seeing what other people do. i already have the business. just tired of doing it by hand all the time. usually i start with megs. cleaner wax. and than use megs. gold class paste wax. want to try something new.