PDA

View Full Version : My initial Shokar twins review

Scottwax
01-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Here is Anthony Orosco`s review as well.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48594&perpage=12&pagenumber=1

I will have the pics in a few days. ;)

My first thought is I sure hope if the products are made available for purchase is that they probably won`t be in old Tabasco bottles! I guess glass bottles is really old school. :xyxthumbs

I finally got some more pads so I can start testing some new stuff. I had 3 details and a wash at one of my customer`s houses this weekend. Feels like I spent the whole weekend there because...well, I did! 17 hours total! The F250 just back from the deer lease got Poorboy`s SSR2.5 and Race Glaze Sealant Polish yesterday, I was told not to kill myself detailing it because it is going back out to his ranch to get torn up again anyway. I decided not to use Shokar on that beast. ;)

This morning I went back out to detail his kid`s vehicles, a silver 2003 Honda Accord and a white 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser. Both were in pretty good shape, although the LC has a single stage white paint job that was somewhat oxidized.

It was raining when I got to his house and both cars were sitting outside. I washed them in the light rain conventionally and then pulled them into the garage and dried them off. I went ahead and detailed the interiors so the rest of the water in the body seams could dry up (guess how well that works when the humitidy is 90% :rolleyes: ). Anyway I finally started on the exteriors. I used a Propel blue pad (finishing pad that is the more aggressive of the two Propel finishing pads) with the multi-step prep (the AIO-like cleaner) on the Accord. I polished a couple sections at a time and then removed the excess. Of course, there was still water hiding in the seams that the MF towel found. http://www.scottwax.com/rice/videos/smilies/pat.gif and that caused some slight streaking but it wasn`t the product`s fault.

The first thing I noticed after removing the excess was how much better the paint looked. It now had a very nice, wet glow, seemed very similar to the look I got on my brother`s silver Odyssey when I used AIO and Z2 Pro. The paint seemed to have a somewhat brighter look than AIO does. Slickness seemed similar to AIO. I then turned my attention to polishing the Land Bruiser. The Shokar cleaner is definitely not very aggressive as even though the SUV has a single stage white paint job, I was getting very little color transfer on the pads. The paint on the sides and roof were in pretty good shape though and they really brightened up while polishing. The hood, on the other hand, was slightly oxidized and I got some hazing and streaking from the Shokar cleaner. It just wasn`t aggressive enough to break the haze. This seems to be the one area it loses definitively to AIO, oxidation removal. I then went over the hood with Poorboy`s SSR2.5 and a Meguiars Polishing pad which really cleaned up the hood. I then went back over it with the Shokar cleaner and the hood looked as great as the rest of the truck.

Now on to the sealant. Like Anthony noted, it is very watery, very much like 1Z Glaz Wax. It also separates when it sits for a while, so you need to give the bottle a few shakes. I used a foam hand pad to apply and also like Anthony mentioned, it takes very little product to cover a fender, door, half a hood. Maybe 2-3 drops is all. Once the pad it primed, even less. Spreads easily, the only real drawback is the product goes on practically clear, so you have to look at an angle to make sure you didn`t miss anything. You can remove the excess immediately or wait. I tried both ways and it wipes off with ease.

The sealant added a wetter look to the paint, again very reminiscent of the AIO/Z2 Pro combo I used recently. The rain had stopped during the late morning and by around 4:30PM, I backed out the vehicles for pics. It was still gray and gloomy but both vehicles looked really good and I expect the pics will turn out nicely.

Rain or shine tomorrow, I have a metallic black 1998 Mercedes SL500 to detail. I`ve been taking care of it since new and the paint is in excellent shape, mostly driven on weekends. I doubt other than maybe some minor blemish polishing it will need anything more aggressive than the Shokar cleaner so it should be an easy Shokar twins two step (maybe we can create a new dance? Or not). Since the product looks very clear, it ought to look pretty good on a black metallic. Hopefully the expected afternoon storms will hold off long enough for me to get pics of the Benz too.

The white Land Bruiser I will never see again. Been in the family for 6 years but it is for sale. I`ll next get my hands on the Accord in June sometime when the kid is back from college. It was not beading at all when I washed it today, so I am sure the non-waxing regiment by the kid will continue so I can see how Shokar holds up to that type of abuse. I see the Mercedes every week, so I can monitor how it holds up very closely. This is a car I wash conventionally, so the sealant won`t get any passive help from QEW.

I hope to have pics up tomorrow (Monday night). Any further impressions of the twins will be added to this thread.

To sum up:

Shokar Multi-prep-it is an AIO like cleaner that is best suited for paint already in very good condition. It will remove very light paint transfers but isn`t very good on oxidation. It leaves the paint looking bright and wet.

Shokar Sealant-on true on and off sealant. Very user friendly, no streaking even on single stage paints. Excellent `wet glass` shine. Durability is unknown at this point.

SpoiledMan
01-02-2005, 10:31 PM
This sounds like a promising product! So far the only thing I don`t like about Z is having to mix the products and then use up the mixed portion. SG is difficult at times but when it works it`s very nice. This should be a nice replacement if it comes to market.

Nice write up Scott!

eShine
01-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Here is Anthony Orosco`s review as well.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48594&perpage=12&pagenumber=1

I will have the pics in a few days. ;)

My first thought is I sure hope if the products are made available for purchase is that they probably won`t be in old Tabasco bottles! I guess glass bottles is really old school. :xyxthumbs

LOL, Like I said, the product is so early into creation we don`t even have bottles! We had to send the samples out in Dollar Store Glass Bottles LOL!

I am glad you like the Products. The ShoKar Twins were designed for just that, Show Cars. We were not overly concerned with oxidation removal but rather how the product works on vehicles that are already in good condition. The two products work very well together and I am particularly happy with the Sealant! It sure is different! Keep in mind the final products will have,

a. Color

b. Added Scents (Possibly)

c. The Sealant CAN be thickened but...

I think it works well the way it is! I even thought about having them in spray mist bottles for easier application by hand.

Scott, besides the oxidation removal capabilities of the Multi-Prep how would you compare the appearance compared to AIO?

Thanks for the review Scott!

Scottwax
01-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Chris-the appearance compared to AIO seems a touch brighter, really nice on both white and silver. Even on a gloomy, overcast day, both vehicles looked terrific.

I agree about the sealant. I can handle Glanz Wax, so I can handle your sealant. If you start production, you might want to consider throwing in a 2oz misting bottle for application. A small bottle would be easier to handle. Just pour in what you need and leave the rest in the original, larger container.

Scottwax
01-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Pics here:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=469676#post469676