PDA

View Full Version : wet sanding?

imported_DARKSTI
01-02-2005, 07:38 PM
i am thinking about trying wet sanding my paint on my cobra in certain spots because of the factory orange peel:rolleyes: , is it hard, and does anyone have any links?

JeffM
01-02-2005, 07:44 PM
ON your cobra???

And you really have no basic idea of how to do it?

Your crazy, find the best auto body guy in town and ask him to do it.

Sorry for being kinda harsh, but being a PC cowboy is one thing, wetsanding, is another.

imported_DARKSTI
01-02-2005, 07:59 PM
wow, great post! ive seen other people do it, they said it isnt to hard. i just want to learn.

Eliot Ness
01-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Here are a couple of links:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46148&highlight=wet+sand

http://www.autobodystore.com/rsw.htm

Now for the disclaimer: I haven`t read the 2nd link very closley, so I can`t comment too much on it, I`m only offering it as something to read. Also, please read as much as you can and practice on a beater or a junk yard hood/trunk lid before going after your car.

You may also find that if you do a good polish and remove any swirls, marring, or hazing on your finish that the OP may not bother you as much. Just my 2 cents ;)

imported_DARKSTI
01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
yea, i may not do it, i just was keeping it in reserve.

03COBRA
01-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Don`t do it. There is not enough clear or paint on a late model mustang paint. I wanted to do the same thing with my 03 Cobra, but from what everyone of the Mustang guys I talked with said no way. There just is not enough material to cut. And if you have never done it before, I wouldn`t start with your Cobra. And I hope you have a rotary to get the wetsanding marks out of the paint!

imported_DARKSTI
01-02-2005, 08:52 PM
alright, thats why i posted, thanks guys :)

JasonD
01-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately, Ford really does a great job on their factory installed orange peel. My dad bought and 04` Mach 1 a couple months ago and the op was so bad that the dealer volunteered to repaint it after he purchased it. Thankfully, their paint shop did a great job and it looks 100% but it was so bad before that it didn`t have a shine. Unbelievable they would put something out like this.

As far as wetsanding, I`ve wanted to try this for years but have yet to take the leap. If you decide to take a stab at it, I recommend going to the junk yard and buying a fender or something (black if you can so it will show the most defects) and practice on that. The problem here is removing the marring left over from the wetsanding. Some say you can remove it with the PC and some say only a rotary will do and you have to be proficient with the rotary to not screw that part up either. Lots to think about before jumping to the paper.

vick-e
02-13-2005, 06:14 PM
i know this is an old post but i just want to tell you about my experience wetsanding and removing the marring it does.

i have wet sanded a lot of paint and cars. I recently baught my pc and it works great taking out the left over marks. I just found out what orange peel is, and figured out that orange peel is what my moms car had and wet sanded it couple months ago and removed the left over marks with 3m product.

I used 1500 grit (only for really bad spots) and mainly 2000 grit then 3m perfect it series swirl remover, by hand. It worked great. when i got my PC I did more parts of my moms car and using the pc is MUCH better for my hands and elbows. by hand i put almost no pressure on the paint though just about 10- 20 strokes per section and sanded with A LOT of soapy water.

I would like to mention that you should always count your strokes. thats how i know im not removing to much paint in one section and even more in another. Seems to work good for me.

my friend has a mustang and he wet sanded part of it with no problem, he did not wet sand any of the edges, just the rear side panels and then used 3m autobody rubbing compound fine cut (its supposdly part of perfect it series and as strong as the light swirl remover) from walmart to take remove left over marks.

Jesstzn
02-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Only wet sanding I have done is on chip repair and a couple weeks back I tinted and cleared my tail lights and I had a bit of OP in the clear so I wetsanded with 2000 and DACP on a white pad took out any marks.