PDA

View Full Version : how do i remove waterspot(s) (etching?)

accordmaniac
01-02-2005, 05:15 PM
i have a three month old white car that is parked outdoors 24/7 and i live in florida and i think that the condensation in the morning has created waterspots in the paint. i think its etched in, because i washed it and it is still there and i tried ssr1 but it`s still there. tools i have are a porter cable, ssr1,ssr2.5,meg`s polishing and cutting pad,meg`s deep crystal paint cleaner, and aio. using these what can i do? will meg`s dacp do anything? if it can i think i can pick some up at the local napa. thanks!

Accumulator
01-02-2005, 05:27 PM
If the spots are so deeply etched that the SSR 2.5 won`t get them, then I doubt that the DACP will do much better. Much of the etching I`ve seen has been just too deep to safely remove. Products like AutoInt`s Paint Correction Cream will sometimes do it by rotary, and there`s always wetsanding, but after doing such things the clear`s usually too thin for much future polishing. IMO some problems are best lived with.

See how the SSR 2.5 works and try to keep your LSP fresh (and the car frequently washed) so you don`t get more of the etching.

You might look at the spots with a magnifying glass. If they look like little depressions in the paint, you`ll be able to see how much clear you`d have to take off to solve the problem (probably too much). If, on the other hand, they look like *raised* areas, you might be able to remove them with clay, distilled white vinegar, and regular polishing.

At least they wont jump right out at you on white....

Bill D
01-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by accordmaniac

i have a three month old white car that is parked outdoors 24/7 and i live in florida and i think that the condensation in the morning has created waterspots in the paint. i think its etched in, because i washed it and it is still there and i tried ssr1 but it`s still there. tools i have are a porter cable, ssr1,ssr2.5,meg`s polishing and cutting pad,meg`s deep crystal paint cleaner, and aio. using these what can i do? will meg`s dacp do anything? if it can i think i can pick some up at the local napa. thanks!

I`ve noticed the mositure build up down here ( my cars are put away) too immediately come sundown inevitably leading to often SEVERE water spotting come morning. If no garage is present, I couldn`t recommend a car cover more all year round down here. I`ve even seen some obvious non-Autopians using them :up because the potential consequences are so bad .Hopefully you`ll be able to remove all exisiting damage.

accordmaniac
01-02-2005, 06:34 PM
If, on the other hand, they look like *raised* areas, you might be able to remove them with clay, distilled white vinegar, and regular polishing.

if i were to try the distilled vinegar method what is the process? i know you have to wash afterwards but is it okay to just quick detail it? i live in an are were water use is restricted, and i already break that rule by washing my car so i don`t want to get caught by doing it too much.

imported_Burlyq
01-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Try QEW for washing, you don`t have to rinse. Just put the vinager on, it wipes out water sopts depending on how much damage is there.

http://www.protectall.com/qe.aspx