PDA

View Full Version : have a PC 7424 now what help!

enhanced250
01-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I have a Super Black 350z with light swirls i currently have the Porter Cable 7424 and want to buy pads and products

i was thinking

Sonus SFX-2 with the SFX2 polish (for the swirls)

then

Sonus SFX-3 with the SFX3 polish

the finish it up with the SOnus blue pad and a good carnuba wax(any sugegstions also what is the difference between sealent and wax)

Im up for any suggestions please help because im new with the Porter cable i used to just use a random orbital with a terry bonnet now there are soo many choices i dont know what to do!!!

Thanks

JeffM
01-02-2005, 04:23 PM
I would get a pad "kit" that includes the backing plate, cutting pad, polish, and finish. Reason being is that you will someday need the cutting pad, and the kits are priced so that you basicly get a free pad.

I like to apply my wax or sealent by hand though. They are easy on and easy off, so i dont bother with the pc.

If your paint is in pretty good condition, you will only need to use one polish on it, then go right into your finishing.

One word of advice though, clay. You probably need it. You wouldnt want a particle to come loose while you polish and scuff up your paint.

The "learn" button up top has loads of cool info in it.

Welcome to the forum, i just recently found this place, and the people here are very helpful and friendly.

JasonD
01-02-2005, 04:45 PM
You will soon find that your the possibilities and choices are endless, but in the end, all that matters is that you are happy with your particular combination. Before you get so far into what products to choose, I highly recommend doing some research on what the different products are and how to correctly use them. The process is more important than the product. You can find great info and links here on this site, www.bettercarcare.com, and many others.

04Runner
01-02-2005, 05:07 PM
I`m in the same boat..never used the PC before. Just ordered one today. Been neglecting the autos for awhile now because I just was never up to making myself go out and do all I needed to do by hand. I`m hoping this PC will really speed up the process. Anyone have an idea on how much faster doing a polish and wax with the PC is vs. by hand? Guess I`ll clay first, polish with P21S paintwork lotion (white lake country pad), then go with a coat of NXT.

JasonD
01-02-2005, 05:13 PM
You will spend half the time that it takes doing something by hand if you use the PC if not less, but I wouldn`t look at the PC as so much of a *time saver* but more of a *quality enhancer*. You will be able to accomplish things with the PC that you would have never been able to accomplish by hand.

Your process sounds fine if you don`t have any defects to speak of, otherwise you will need more aggressive products/pads for that. I suggest applying NXT by machine also since it has cleaners in it that will work better by machine.

04Runner
01-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks JDookie. Much better results was another big reason for me buying the PC, as well as the time factor. We`ll see how this P21S stuff works. I felt like just going with something pretty mild for my first try with the PC.

JasonD
01-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Better results is exactly what you are going to get. The P21S is almost the *most* mild product you can buy so don`t expect anything in the way of defect removal (swirls, scratches, etc.) but more of a gloss enhancer. Good luck!

04Runner
01-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Crap, I wasn`t wanting the MOST mild, but something fairly mild. What product would you recommend that would be just a step up from the P21 lotion?

JeffM
01-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I practiced with scratchX.

Was pretty harmless, didnt remove alot of defects, a few, but not alot.

I soon found out i can get alittle more aggressive, now i have used 3m`s PI 2 RC, and it removes swirls from auto washes pretty well :)

JasonD
01-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by JBM

I practiced with scratchX.

Was pretty harmless, didnt remove alot of defects, a few, but not alot.

I soon found out i can get alittle more aggressive, now i have used 3m`s PI 2 RC, and it removes swirls from auto washes pretty well :)

Well, those two are just about the most aggressive products you can get. I reserve my 3M PI II RC for only the toughest jobs. Great stuff, but I am told by everyone that is familiar with it that 3M PI III RC is much better. Less dusting, less harmful (yes, it is carcinogenic believe it or not), and a better looking surface.

Anyway, back on topic, if you are wanting something along the lines of a paint cleaner, surface prep, and *very slight* defect remover I would suggest Klasse AIO. The next step up would be a polish with mild abrasives which will include (but are not limited to) 1Z PP, 3M PI III MG, Sonus SFX2, PB`s PP and PwC (SSR 1 or 2 for more polishing effort), Meg`s #80, etc. Products you can buy local that are very good are the 3M PI III MG and Meg`s #80 and can be followed by Klasse AIO, P21S GEPC, NXT, etc. Actually, now that I say this #80, AIO, NXT would be a very nice combo to start with. All very user friendly and will look very nice, but there are lots of combos that will look great. Trial and error is the name of the game. :xyxthumbs