PDA

View Full Version : Good books on entrepreneurship??

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Jon P. Nusbaum
01-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I don`t know if this is considered off topic or not, but I figure that many of the pros on here are entrepreneurs and maybe you guys know some good books on the subject.

I browsed some books on this subject and there are too many to know what is good and what is crap. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I could have sworn this was addressed in a post some time ago, but I could not find it.

Thanks.

joburnet
01-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I`d be interested in this as well.

I love autopia for car care but I`d like to find a forum that talks about owning a business. There are so many topics when it comes to owning your own business and I`d love to talk to some people that have been very successful at it.

kompressornsc
01-02-2005, 04:23 PM
What Clients Love by Harry Beckwith

A great book on how to deal with clients, sales and marketing. IMHO, a must read for anyone in business for themselves, or anyone who deals with clients on a daily basis.

safetyman2010
01-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Get the "e-myth revisited". It is an excellent book for anyone wanting to start a business.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0887307280/qid=1104709571/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2236016-7585719?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Scottwax
01-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Customers for Life by Carl Sewell

I`d be willing to lend it out if anyone wants to read it. In fact, you guys can pass it around every couple of weeks if you wish, just so long as I get it back eventually. ;)

scottabir
01-03-2005, 02:24 AM
you can start by sending that my way Scott :)

jimmybuffit
01-03-2005, 04:37 AM
I second this:

Customers for Life by Carl Sewell.

Written by a car dealer, of all things!!!

It deals with an approach to conducting your business, and is an important read. But, it does not deal with the nuts and bolts of how to setup your books, etc

Jim

reflex7346
01-03-2005, 06:18 AM
I found that a really good book is Who Moved My Cheese? While not entrepreneur book per se but it was very inspiring as far as getting me to finally go out on that limb

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-03-2005, 06:33 AM
When you consider how many business start-ups quickly end up as business failures, I would highly recommend `You Can If You Think You Can` written by Norman Vincent Peale.

It`s the type of book that will help to keep you motivated, focused on your goals and to always remain persistent in spite of roadblocks and opposition.

Scottwax
01-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by scottabir

you can start by sending that my way Scott :)

Okay, I`m fixin` to send you some CMW and a sample of the new yellow wax (finally found some bottles to send them in) and I`ll toss the book in the package too. :)

scottabir
01-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Okay, I`m fixin` to send you some CMW and a sample of the new yellow wax (finally found some bottles to send them in) and I`ll toss the book in the package too.

:xyxthumbs

Lowejackson
01-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I would recommend any book which teaches the basics of financial control. I know it is not as sexy as marketing but most small businesses fail not due to marketing issues but through poor financial management.

Understand time, money and customers and the rest is easy

imported_Jon P. Nusbaum
01-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the reccomendations guys.

My dad told me about Who Moved My Cheese? awhile back. He said that it described how different mice in a lab situation adapted to change in the location of their cheese, illustrating how different people or organizations adapt and move along with change.

This afternoon I just finished reading The Fail-Proof Enterprise: A Success Model for Entrepreneurs (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0916308510/qid=1104802539/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-6894599-2912642?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) , by Bob Thomas. He describes his experiences in building a couple of companies in the 60s and 70s and various aspects from managerial systems to making the decision to sell out or go public. It is billed as a success model for entrepreneurs and I believe it to be correct.

I am 19 and entering my second semester as a business student where I will plan to earn a BS in Business Administration, majoring in Finance and minoring in Entrepreneurship. I plan on picking up information and skills along the lines of financial management (and other operations-type stuff) in the various classes along the way.

Again, thanks for the tips I will probably end up reading all of the books you guys mentioned and I will try to let you know what I think.

jimmybuffit
01-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I appreciate your desire to improve...

As a recent MBA (IU 98) grad, I`ll invite you intern at as many SMALL businesses as you can associate yourself with. Witness the the style and personality of the individual enterprenuers. Find mentors and emulate their traits. Look for their flaws and analyze them - those `flaws` are often a key to their drive, motivation, and passion.

Ah, passion, that`s the key!

Good Luck!

imported_Jon P. Nusbaum
01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the advice and coincidentally I have already had a recent experience similar to what you described.

I interned at a relatively small investment firm (exploring my interest in finance) which was undergoing rapid growth and I was able to see first hand how they dealt with various growing pains and how they adapted to change.

Infact, just like you said, I did find a good mentor in one of the owners who started the company over 10 years and has been building it slowly since then. The owner has a problem with authority (probably what helped him to become an entrepreneur) and often commented on his extreme dislike of bureaucracy and common office politics.

I will continue to look for opportunities to see other small businesses and a wider range of styles, traits, etc.

Theres is also an entrepreneurship club at the university I am currently attending that I plan on checking out this semester. The club brings in some interesting local entrepreneurs, have social events with other young dreamers, and provide opportunities to take factory/firm tours to see real small business in action.