PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars deep crystal

ericsscion
01-02-2005, 02:10 PM
what do u guys think about the meguiars deep crystal 3 step system (paint cleaner, polish, and wax)...

Do u think the paint cleaner is abrasive enough for swirls and scratches.

And do u think the polish is any good?

scottabir
01-02-2005, 02:17 PM
If I remember correctly the polish is something Megs calls a "pure" polish which is non-abrasive. I could be wrong but I think that is what I read.

JeffM
01-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I have the cleaner and polish.

The cleaner works pretty good, esp. with a PC. Its non abrasive though, wont remove swirls and scratches.

The polish is more like #7.

lbls1
01-02-2005, 02:33 PM
It is a very good, basic carnauba system. It will yield good results, and it should be compatible with most clearcoated finishes.

It won`t, mind you, bring earth shattering results. I would probably encourage you to use dc`s cleaner and polish, then go and purchase a very good carnauba wax such as p21s/s100 or some of the other waxes mentioned on the board. You could also check out the review section to get an idea of what`s available.

But, DC is a good system to start with. Good luck.

PS: I have found that the cleaner will remove light swirls and scuffs with a vigorous application or more than one application. If you have serious issues, then you may need to look at some of Meg`s more aggressive products. Whatever you use should be clearcoat safe.

imported_FordTaurus
01-02-2005, 02:35 PM
A couple years ago I used the paint cleaner quite a bit. It worked pretty well for an off-the-shelf product, however you won`t find it very effective on swirls. I was able to remove/hide minor scratches with it when I was using it with the PC. I believe the Deep Crystal polish is simply a pure polish, which means it won`t remove swirls or scratches, but will most likely hide them and enhance the gloss/look of the paint.

If you are looking for a decent swirl remover that you could find at an auto parts store/wal mart, pick up some Meguiar`s #9 in the tan bottle. It will work on minor swirls. Scratch-X is something else you can find at the same type of store that will work well at removing or minimizing minor to moderate scratches (i.e. you can`t feel them with your fingernail when running it over the surface).

You`ll find that you can get better results with a PC and some of the products more commonly discussed here on autopia, but the Deep Crystal 3 step system isn`t a bad choice for minor problems if these other products/equipment aren`t an option for you.

-FordTaurus

JustinR32
01-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I think that you`ll find it`s great for finishes in great to "almost new" condition. The step 3 carnauba protects as well as any other liquid carnauba, and the cleaner and polish are as good as any other paint cleaner and glaze.

What it WON`T do, as others have said and as you have asked, is correct defects.

If you are sticking to "by hand", ScratchX and lots of elbow grease, then the DC system. Hopefully you work out a lot.

Otherwise, invest in the PC machine, get some orbital polishes like the Meguiar`s, or the Poorboys, or the 3M, or the Menzernas, and do some learning. There`s nothing to fear with this approach; nothing here is so aggressive that it will damage your paint.

Tom