PDA

View Full Version : How much force do you apply?

Acura92
01-02-2005, 09:24 AM
using the PC, how much force am i suppose to put down on it? I find myself from time to time to put a tad whee pressure on the PC. Am i suppose to let it`s own weight do the pressure?

6']['9
01-02-2005, 09:50 AM
i do a bit of both but i didnt apply too much pressure to where it bogged down. a significant amount of pressure can work some products better IMHO. you dont want to try and put all your weight on it maybe a lb or 2.

Acura92
01-02-2005, 09:59 AM
now next question...

i apply wax onto the car, but how do i know how long to run the PC over the paint? At what point do i move on? As in, how should i apply wax?

lol

SK2003TypeS
01-02-2005, 01:35 PM
I pretty much use the weight of the PC on the horizontal panels. Like 6`][`9 said, depending on the product, you can apply some more pressure. I also don`t use the handle that comes with the PC. I put my left hand over the center of the gray portion.

For wax, I run it at 4-5 and move it slowly. Depending on how much of the product and how loaded the pad is will change my speed of the PC. That is the speed I move it from side to side.

There`s a video of David doing a small demo with the PC on a black Porsche. I don`t know where it is though :nixweiss

Welcome to Autopia :wavey

scottabir
01-02-2005, 01:43 PM
for polishing I put enough weight on the PC until I notice it stops "spinning" and then lighten up a little bit until it starts to "spin" again.

imported_FordTaurus
01-02-2005, 02:54 PM
The amount of pressure that I apply to the PC varies by what type of product I am using. No matter what I am using, I never put enough pressure on the PC that it bogs down. With waxes and sealants, I always let the PC do the work under its own weight. I only use pressure if I am working with certain polishes in an attempt to remove defects. With a PC, the number of passes over an area, the aggressiveness of the pad you are using, and the product can be more important than the amount of pressure you are applying.

When you are applying waxes or sealants with a PC, you normally aren`t trying to remove any defects. While I normally apply waxes and sealants by hand, the few times that I have applied these with the PC I ran it between 3 and 3.5. A high speed isn`t needed as you are just spreading the product around and working it in. As for knowing when to move on when applying wax, use the same rule of thumb that you would when applying wax be hand. While it can vary by the product you are using, work the wax/sealant in until it begins to haze/you have ensured complete coverage of the paint surface.