PDA

View Full Version : Clean between body seams?

lsanford
01-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Finding Autopia has been an educational gold mine. I`ve learned a great deal from these forums and the how-to articles.

When I wash my truck, I`m not able to get into and clean the seams between the body panels...but the dirt gets in there. This is a real eye-sore because the line of dirt screams when surrounded by nice clean paint.

I did search the forums and reviewed the how-to articles.

I could not find anything in previous threads. The how-to articles suggest using a brush to clean between body panels/seams, and several vendors sell boars hair brushes and OXO brushes under the paint cleaning/care sections.

Are these really safe for my paint?

zzyyzx
01-02-2005, 10:08 AM
There are many different detailing brush/swab kits out there. Meguiars has a nice kit with quite a few different shapes and sizes that work well for getting into these areas. Supposedly, they are washable, but I find they don`t last much more than one or two uses. But good none the less.

artm3
01-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I use those throw away foam brushes you can get a Lowes. They`re cheap, a bag has different sizes, and they have many uses.

I put some AIO on one, run it down the crack, and follow up with a clean one to remove.

C. Charles Hahn
01-02-2005, 12:05 PM
if its just dirt you`re worried about getting out of there (foam apps usually work for applying and removing product) just take it to a pressure-washer coin bay and spray out the seams before you go home and wash the rest.

Accumulator
01-02-2005, 12:58 PM
I wrap MF around long, thin objects to get in there. I`ve been able to not only wash, but even polish paint in places I never thought I could reach.

Much as I like BHBs, you gotta be really careful with them and even when soaking wet they`ll mar some paints. I do use them for washing nooks and crannies, but some spots are too tight for them to fit.

And yeah, swabs can be great, but sometimes the sticks seem pretty fragile and they can snap off leaving the head someplace inaccessible.

SK2003TypeS
01-02-2005, 01:29 PM
I try to get some of the nap from a mitt in between the cracks to wash it out. When the crack is too thin to get the nap in, I wrap an old credit card with a MF and get in there that way.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-02-2005, 01:39 PM
What I like to do is use a very soft bristle detailing brush along with plenty of car wash soap applied directly on the brush. Then during the wash process while the vehicle is still wet, I will go around and thoroughly clean all of those hard to get at areas. This is also a good way to clean away any polish or wax residue around vehicle emblems.

The key to avoid causing any fine scratches is to make certain that you have got plenty of soap on the brush at all times. This helps to lubricate the brush, reducing the chance of causing any damage. It is also helpful to use a very light gentle pressure during the cleaning process.

imported_FordTaurus
01-02-2005, 03:03 PM
For the seams, I often use the credit card surrounded in a MF trick with a QD or Q-tips depending on the size of the seam. The key is to be careful and take your time. If the seams are around your doors or hood, opening these often gives you access to areas you normally can`t reach into (for example, where the front of the door meets the front fender).

-FordTaurus

lsanford
01-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I will try to sponge brushes (from Lowes) first.

Then if I`m not satisfied, I will try a soft paint brush. This way I can have longer bristles than the OXO and boars hair brushes offer. I know there will be something hard at the top of the brush/end of the handle, but I can tape off the brush below that to protect the car.