PDA

View Full Version : Using my PC for the 1st time

Web Docta
01-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I was anxious to use my new Christmas present but unfortunately I tried all the typical auto stores around here and I couldn`t find any backing plates or pads anywhere. Most of the guys didn`t know what I was talking about. :o

Frustrated, I went home and decided to use the white pad that was included with my PC7336 from Lowe`s.

I decided that since my hood on my Porsche was loaded with swirls, I would try polishing it out with a white polishing compound. I started off at the lowest speed and got the entire surface coated then gradually went over everything untile I got up to #5 speed. I cleaned everything off and buffed it with MF towels and noticed that it helped somewhat but there were still some swirling. I tried polishing everything again and it looks a lot better but it`s still not perfect. Anyway I`m assuming that if I keep polishing with the white compound it will eventually get the swirls out.

I need some recommendations for a better polishing wheel for a white polishing compound, I imagine that if I had a better wheel, the swirls probably would be out by now. Would claying the surface help or does the white polish worl better at getting swirls out than clay?

Web Docta
01-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Here`s a pic. Not too bad for a 19 year old car.

Web Docta
01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Here`s a front shot of the hood.

q_tip98444
01-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Looks pretty good:xyxthumbs . And for teh backing plate and pads, look in your phonebook for Auto Body Supply stores. Thats where I bought mine. You can also go to the meguiars website and use their dealter locater for the pro-line. Good luck.

Scottwax
01-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Very nice so far. :)

You can get a backing plate and some of the Propel pads at www.exceldetail.com

Very good pads, fast shipping and only $7.25 each! A couple of the blue and a couple of the green pads should get you started off very nicely.

Web Docta
01-12-2005, 08:02 PM
I ordered the Propel backing plate/pads kit for $29.00 and a few additional assorted pads from Excel. I should be getting them in this weekend. I want to finish "white Compounding" my car this weekend as it has some swirls and some etching that needs to be worked on.

I`m wondering what color pad I need to use for the white compound? After compounding will I need to wash everything down and then clay or do I go right to the polishing?

hirosh
01-12-2005, 08:15 PM
with your new Propel pads and backing plate, you should be able to get rid of most, if not all, of the swirls and etchings, depending on how bad they are.

i`m not sure about the color pad you would need (as there are different color schemes for different pad manufacturers) but you would probably best to start with the least aggressive pad/compound. so a "polishing" pad would be a good place to start. see how good that and your "white compound" (what product is this?) does on the swirls. if it works, continue. if not, try again as it may take a few tries.

and you could probably go right to your polishing, followed by your LSP (last step product). btw, what products are you going to be using?

nice car and have fun! :wavey

Web Docta
01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
I started on the hood last week with basic white polishing compound. I think that it`s made by dupont or something. It`s in the green & white container. It made a noticeable difference.

I really wanted to wait until I got better pads and a polishing plate to do the job.

I ordered some yellow,orange,grey,green and blue Propel pads so I`m ready for anything. :D

I have Meguiars Deep Crystal Polishing 3 step products on hand right now so I may go with that for the time being.

However, I was completely blown away by a detailing job that I saw on an Infiniti a few weeks ago that prompted my recent interest to learn about detailing.

When I asked the detailer what was on it he told me he used 3 coats of Zaino. It was a dark blue and it looked incredible so that really made an impression on me. I started thinking about what it would look like on my black porsche. :D

I think that I`m addicted already.

Pats300zx
01-12-2005, 08:45 PM
I started on the hood last week with basic white polishing compound. I think that it`s made by dupont or something. It`s in the green & white container. It made a noticeable difference.

WOW...I didn`t even know they still made that stuff. :scared :scared I would def try and start off with something less aggressive than the polishing compound.

Something like Megs #83 and a polishing pad might be a good start....