PDA

View Full Version : using my new cyclo

tooklean
12-31-2004, 01:22 PM
I got a cyclo polisher for christmas. After reading the directions it says to never use the green pads on black or dark colored vehicles because it may cause scratching. What in the world am I suppose to do for dark colored cars? Maybe just polish by hand and use the white pads to apply and remove wax? Any feedback would be most helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

Accumulator
12-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a good Christmas present, I wouldn`t let the "green pad warning" bum you out.

If (and that`s a pretty big "if" in my book) the green pads are too aggressive you still have a few options. You could just use the white Cyclo "finishing" pads for a follow-up. You could get some 4" white CMA/Lake pads. Or you could cut up some larger pads that you like (Anthony O. has done this lots of times and it worked OK when I tried it) and use them.

But I dunno about the green pads being so coarse as to cause micromarring anyhow, I suspect it`s just a "CYA" disclaimer. Yeah, such problems show up more on dark colors, but it`s all gonna depend on how hard your paint is (and what polish you`re using). Plenty of pros have been using Cyclos (with those green pads) on dark cars for a very long time. Don`t assume/expect the worst, just remember to try a small test area so you don`t have to fix a whole panel if you *do* run into problems.

I don`t remember having any problems on dark cars with those pads, and they are *not* too coarse for my Jag`s *very* soft lacquer (they don`t leave any marring on it with mild products).

For removal by Cyclo, I like to use MF bonnets over the yellow cutting pads.

Bill D
12-31-2004, 04:01 PM
I`ve used Lake Country pads exclusively with my Cyclo I see they are finally sold conveniently at http://www.autogeek.net. Also, be on the look out for the 4" Sonus pads coming out soon from the Autopia store.

Anthony O.
01-08-2005, 09:49 AM
As already noted, this is just the usual disclaimer to cover their "behinds".

I have used the orange Cyclo pads on blacks and while it may leave some marring you then follow up with a finer polish and the white pads and/or the green pads.

I am testing out now some of the Lake Country 4in pads and will try and post a review up later today.

Anthony

Bill D
01-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Anthony,

The flat or VC? Definitely let us know what you think. I`m happy with my VCs. Also, what`s the status of these totally revised Cyclo pads ( enabling rotary like capabilty) ? Are they coming out soon?

Anthony O.
01-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Bill,

The VC pads. The other paint correction pads are coming along OK but we need to design holders for them. I will be doing a whole BMW hood with them soon, I`ll take pictures and post them up.

Anthony

Bill D
01-08-2005, 07:33 PM
I think you might like them :up