PDA

View Full Version : UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE: Hose bibb doesn`t fit!!!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Aurora40
12-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Man, so I figured this thing would be kinda big. I guess it`s my own fault for not thinking it through, but really I didn`t know what I`d need to hook onto it to make it work until I saw it.

But the overall height of this thing is 5 1/2" according to the website:

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Wall_Hyd_Parts/HC67_Roughin.gif

My ceiling space in the basement to mount it in is 9" high. So that leaves me 4 1/2" to work with, not bad I thought. Well, it is bad. By the time I screw in a 3/4" male fitting and attach a 90-degree bend on each, the freaking thing is over 10" tall!!!

I think about the only way it would fit is if I could find a 3/4" male fitting that a) had less extra thread and b) incorporated the 90 neck. But I think that`s unlikely as the 90 neck might point any which way once it`s snugged up.

The other suck thing is that even if it did barely fit, the old bibb is installed pretty high up in the 9" space. So this new one would have to be very centered to fit. Which means it wouldn`t cover up the existing hole, which sucks. The space is 9" tall by 14" wide, so maybe I should just mount it sideways... ;)

All in all, this sucks. I think I might just buy the cheaper two-knob one and see if a family member can use this one or else eBay it... :wall :(

I don`t think I`m missing anything with this one being able to fit, but obviously I`m a terrible judge, so feel free to point out something:

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Wall_Faucet_Inlet_Parts/22_Rough-in.gif

Setec Astronomy
12-31-2004, 09:37 AM
That`s 1/2" copper water pipe? 5/8" OD?

imported_Aurora40
12-31-2004, 09:44 AM
yeah, I`m using 1/2" copper pipe to supply the water. The inlets are 3/4", but actually they don`t open up much at the valves, and the pipe out to the bibb is only 1/2". So I think 1/2" supply pipe will be more than adequate. 3/4" pipe would fit even worse.

Setec Astronomy
12-31-2004, 09:45 AM
With pipe threads, you just wrench it around until it lines up the way you want. This adapter will reduce the length of the connection somewhat if you`re using 1/2 (5/8 OD) water pipe, but they will be pricey: Swagelok fitting (http://www.swagelok.com/Downloads/SalesDrawings/Fittings/Tube%20Fitting/1010%20Series/B-1010-2-12.pdf)

zzyyzx
12-31-2004, 09:45 AM
A couple thoughts....

- Can you rotate the inlets so they might be angled?

- What about cutting and changing the direction of the PVC pipe?

- Any chance of sweating the joints somehow?

- What about a flexible copper pipe?

I hope it helps!!!

imported_norahcrv
12-31-2004, 09:47 AM
OK, I`m no plumber, but what would be wrong with putting it sideways? Just rotate it 90* from the coupling to the PVC? Or would that mean having to re-arrange/re-fit the pipes inside the wall?

imported_Aurora40
12-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey Setec, I can`t really tell what that thing is... But I`ll take it with me to my local plumbing supply place to see if they`ve got one or anything else that might work... Thanks for the help! :)

Setec Astronomy
12-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Hey Setec, I can`t really tell what that thing is... But I`ll take it with me to my local plumbing supply place to see if they`ve got one or anything else that might work... Thanks for the help! :)

That`s not a plumbing item....you need to go to a Swagelok distributor. You want the B-1010-2-12, which is a fitting that has a 3/4 MNPT on one end, to screw into your bibb, and the other end is a compression fitting that will accept the 5/8 OD water tube. It looks like it might save you an inch on each end.

imported_Aurora40
12-31-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by norahcrv

OK, I`m no plumber, but what would be wrong with putting it sideways? Just rotate it 90* from the coupling to the PVC? Or would that mean having to re-arrange/re-fit the pipes inside the wall?

Heheh, the whole fixture would have to go in sideways! That PVC might be misleading you, all it does is house the rod for the temp control, nothing flows through that. It flows through the side of it. Here`s a pict that shows the whole thing better.

imported_norahcrv
12-31-2004, 10:06 AM
Oh, sorry - I`ll leave it to the pros :nixweiss

imported_Aurora40
12-31-2004, 10:47 AM
It`s cool Norahcrv. I appreciate the attempt. :)

Mike, looks like there`s one in Frederick. I think I`m just frustrated, so I`m just going to go get a tee, maybe a check valve of some kind, and hook it up straight to my existing bibb for now. That way I can have not-easily-adjusted warm water and still wash some cars. I`ll take my time assembling just the right parts for this mixing valve, and take a stab at it when I`m less frustrated.

I`ll need to re-side the area where the existing hole is, and fill the hole in, so it`ll be good to not be in a rush to get it done. :) :wavey

Peter Crowl
12-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Ok...off the wall thought...but....stainless steel braided washing machine feed hose with integral 90 degree connection. Would cut your height by quite a bit I`d think.

Peter..in Denver

imported_Aurora40
01-01-2005, 10:05 AM
I initially thought about braided hose as it would be so easy to hook up. But it is incredibly narrow stuff. The opening is maybe 1/4", if that. I think it would seriously hamper the performance of the bibb and of my hose. I could get some rubber hose that`s 1/2" or larger, but I`d worry about longevity. I think I`m gonna investigate that part Mike mentioned. I like the compression fitting too as it`s pretty tight back in the ceiling, soldering is possible but would be a real pain. :wavey

OI812
01-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Dude why didn`t you PM me. Don`t panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I`m here to help.

First take a deep breath and relax. There are several options.

First take all copper fittings off.

Get yourself a 3/4" brass(preferably brass) street 90, if you can`t find that get yourself a 3/4" galv. street 90. A street 90 will have threads on one side and female threads on the other side of the 90. That will decrease your height alot. Next if space and height are so tight that you can`t solder, the use CPVC pipe. It`s all glue joint, so working in tight spaces is easy. You have an awesome bibb, but I did tell you it was big. I even posted pics.

I`m not sure how you are getting this through the sill plate of the house, but when I install my bibb I was going to cut a square opening in the house.

Please PM me and I will help you get it in.

imported_Aurora40
01-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey Don, that kind of fitting would work fine too. Since the male threaded hookup that attaches to the 90 would be sticking back, not up, I could do that soldering before I put it up in the ceiling. Then I`d just have to screw it in which wouldn`t be hard.

I hate CPVC piping... I always get that purple crap all over me and glue all over my hands... :(