PDA

View Full Version : 4*UPP Questions

petraidm
12-31-2004, 05:48 AM
I am getting ready to purchase this product but have a few easy questions:

1) How does 4*UPP compare to WG / EX-P for ease of application and removal?

2) Since I ran out of AIO I have been using VM exclusively before applying EX or EX-P. Can 4* be applied successfully over a glaze like VM or #80?

DCT
12-31-2004, 11:58 AM
1. I haven`t used WG yet, but I have used UPP and EX-P. If applied properly, they are both easy to apply and remove. However, I would say UPP is actually a little easier.

2. You probably can apply UPP over VM, but I wouldn`t. I would apply UPP (or any other sealant for that matter), to polished/clean paint, or to a product similar in makeup........... like AIO (another synthetic) or a previous layer of UPP. Don`t get me wrong, VM and #80 are great products. However, I believe that VM has a bit of wax in it (I think), and #80 is loaded with oils. To me, those things just don`t mix well with synthetic waxes. Of course, this is only a concern if you are looking for better protection/durability from the UPP. If that`s not your main concern............... mix and match away! :D

jeff5614
12-31-2004, 02:49 PM
I`ve used WG, EX-P and UPP and found them all about the same to apply, very easy. Just put them on thinly.

petraidm
01-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks I may have to experiment! Is there anyone who has applied UPP over VM or #80?

If not, what products have you sed successfully as a base to UPP? --- I know AIO will work and I am sure It should work well over a pure polish like FP.

jeff5614
01-01-2005, 11:23 AM
I`ve only used UPP within the last month and it`s on top of AIO. I have two coats of UPP applied within a week of each other. It`s still slick, beading and looks good. Of the 3 I mentioned, it`s my favorite look on the metallic gray of our TSX. I think it lets the flake show through the best.

petraidm
01-05-2005, 09:41 PM
One last attempt to pump this thread then I give up. Anyone successfully apply UPP over VM or #80?

EBPcivicsi
01-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by petraidm

One last attempt to pump this thread then I give up. Anyone successfully apply UPP over VM or #80?

Never used VM, but I have applied it over #80 many times.

Here is what I think, for MAXIMUM durability it should only be applied over UPC or AIO. Applied over #80 (or anything that preps the paint correctly) it will look great, but again MAXIMUM durability will not be achieved. Just my opinion of course.

Scottwax
01-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Ranney (aka Pakshak) sells a VM/UPP combo. He might be the one to ask. He seems to feel comfortable enough to sell them as a pair.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Ive used it succesfully with VM. Im with Civic though, you will suffer some durability, but the VM is worth the sacrifice! VM under anything is as good as UPP on top of anything. They both give you a real wet look.....Reminds me of my favorite BF....

AudiOn19s
01-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I`ll chime in here too with one other suggestion. I really like UPP over SSR1 as prefered to AIO. I find that SSR1 leaves a bit more of gloss than AIO does so I skip the AIO step and go straight to my LSP in most cases unless I know that I won`t see the car for ages and feel the the added durability is worth it for the customer. I`m not sure how it compares to VM as I`ve never used VM. SSR1 is supposed to contain no fillers that would typically cause bonding issues BUT I`m sure there`s some oil or something in there that provides the better gloss than AIO.

Accumulator
01-06-2005, 01:19 PM
I too prefer UPP over a "cleaner/clearer looking" polish as opposed to AIO. My fave is the "pro" version of 1Z MP.