PDA

View Full Version : AIO/SG on new exhaust system??

Pages : [1] 2

ExplorerXLT95
12-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Well I got an cat-back exhaust system for my `03 Cobra as a combined Christmas and Birthday present from my parents. It`s a full T-304 stainless steel system from Borla called the "Stinger". Awesome workmanship and I can`t wait to get it on!

However, being the Autopian that I am, I want to clean and protect it as best I can tonight before I put it on tomorrow because it`s easier to work with it off the car than on it.

I was thinking about maybe claying the entire exhaust, then applying both of the Klasse twins. Now keep in mind that this is stainless steel. The tips, polished correctly, will look darn near chrome (the 4" rolled tips are HIGHLY polished, but the rest of the system is just typical raw stainless steel).

Will I run into any problems with having the Klasse twins on something that is going to get so extremely hot?? Also, is there anything else I should do or consider doing tonight before I throw this thing on tomorrow morning??

Thanks in advance everyone :xyxthumbs

P.S. 300th post... WOOHOO!! :bounce

Bill D
12-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Definitely go for it. I polished my exhaust with metal polish and a 4" wool pad via PC then topped with AIO and SG. If beading is any indication of durability, the SG still beaded nicely on the mufflers, this is a turbo car as well :up

topnotchtouch
12-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Not sure I would use it. I would imagine the temps the exhaust get to would burn it off rather quickly. You could test it on your current exhaust to see how it would react. The stock exhaust on the Cobra is also Stainless. Give it a try on the tips.

ExplorerXLT95
12-30-2004, 09:00 AM
I think that I`ll at least do the tips. I`ll probably just end up doing the whole thing though. :-D

Any suggestions on procedure??

stevet
12-30-2004, 10:19 AM
It`s not going to hurt anything to put the Klasse twins on your exhaust but it`s probably a waste of time. The heat produced at the exhaust will burn of the Klasse in no time. I would just polish the areas that you want when they need it. I like Flitz for this.

Bill D
12-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Like I said, if beading is any real indication of durability ( :nixweiss) mine still do so with SG on the mufflers, tips and exhaust components

stevet
12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
I hear what your saying Bill. I don`t think the beading is from the SG though. My windshield beads great after I clay and I don`t put any protection on it. Just because it beads doesn`t mean the SG is on there. I know SG is durable but the exhaust gets really hot, I can`t see the SG lasting very long at all.

spark plugs.
12-30-2004, 12:40 PM
i wax my muffler. gives it a nice shine and keeps it that way for a long enough time.

Jesstzn
12-30-2004, 04:15 PM
You *might* find the AIO/SG will yellow with age and heat onthe SS. The following makes me suspect this .

I have made my own 316L exhaust tips that I turned on a lathe and polished. The first season I ran them with no protection at all and 316L unlike 304 etc does not tarnish. The insides of the tips won`t even pick up exhaust carbon. At the end of the season the tips were still chrome like.

Last winter when I had the tips off I repolished them to git rid of some marring fron rocks etc then like the nice Autopian I am I did the AIO / SG x4 on the outside of them.

Within a month I was noticing a *very* faint yellow tinge to the outside of the tips. The insides were fine .

I took them both off and repolished them on the lathe and did the AIO/SG x4 on one only. Sure enough in a month or so it was picking up the tinge.

BTW I out pointed a nice WRX at a car show because the insides of my tips were polished. Little did they know I hadn`t even wiped them in a month or so.

Just my observations ..

D.

Richt
12-30-2004, 04:21 PM
I have always polished up the whole of a stainless system before fitting. Im lucky my best friend is a metal polisher by trade and always makes the whole system look like the tailpipes. I have always cleaned and protected with Autogylm metal polish and super resin.

Andrew ACR 2
12-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Jesstzn

what is differant from 316 and 304 and where is the best place to buy 2 1/2 dia tubing? thank-you Andrew

Jesstzn
12-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Andrew ACR 2

Jesstzn

what is differant from 316 and 304 and where is the best place to buy 2 1/2 dia tubing? thank-you Andrew

The alloys in it and the nickle content .. The L stands for Low Carbon for ease of welding .

As for sourcing the tubing in your area .. look to the Yellow Pages.

RedMam
12-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I dont want to sound dumb but can someone tell me what AIO is please. thanks

Jesstzn
12-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by RedDog

I dont want to sound dumb but can someone tell me what AIO is please. thanks

Klasse All In One cleaner

RedMam
12-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Thanks man some of the abrs mess me up and i dont understand. thanks