PDA

View Full Version : Bimmers 540 or 525 mesh rim.

Pages : [1] 2

klnyc
12-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Man, how do you clean those biatch? I hate cleaning those mesh rims. You guys know what im talking about right?

Those BBS wanna be...I think are BBS no?

derekz
12-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Yup I think you mean the ones made by BBS. I have BBS wheels on my MX-5 (Miata) and yes they are a pain in the a** to clean. When I first got the wheels I soaked and cleaned them with lots of Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner as they hadn`t been washed in a year or more. Then applied Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. I`m guessing any polish, wax or sealant would do. This really helps to stop dirt and dust "sticking" and makes washing much easier.

For washing I use an old MF with NXT wash, wipe down the main surfaces of the wheel. Then wrap the MF around my index finger and individually clean each spoke. I think there are something like 16 spokes on each of the wheels I have. This takes about 10-15 minutes for all 4 wheels, less if I`m feeling lazy and do a quickie.

Probably the best advice I can give you is just to make sure you wash them every week and keep them polished maybe once a month or so. I have been slacking lately with the polish and brake dust is starting to stain the centre caps brown. I need to fix this when spring rolls round by pulling the wheels for a thorough detail.

klnyc
12-29-2004, 06:04 PM
I was wondering, if Simple Green will cut it? I was also thinkinng using OXY clean? U think its too harsh?

imported_hadboosttroy
12-29-2004, 06:33 PM
they are made by bbs, fyi.

derekz
12-30-2004, 06:29 AM
I think Simple Green and Oxy would probably work, though I`ve never used them. You may also want to try a specific alloy wheel cleaner, but be careful as they are strong. Also not all of them can be used on forged alloy wheels, I`m pretty sure all BBS alloys are forged.

klnyc
12-30-2004, 06:44 AM
I`m going test it this weekend and see. Thanks for the help guys.

NavindraLR
12-30-2004, 08:50 AM
i wouldnt use oxy clean on rims... i just use a2z tire and rim cleaner, really effective. they might require some brushing though, because german cars suck with brake dust. the bmw rims are made by bbs. i`d say that they are going to require more effort than other rims, but its worth it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/NavindraLR/bmwwax1.jpg

Accumulator
12-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I`d be *very* careful about what products you use on the rims, lest you do irreparable damage. Simple Green has been documented as (occasionally) damaging the finish on wheels, clearcoated/painted/polished/you name it. Not always noticeable after a few uses, but by the time you *do* notice it you`re looking at refinishing. No way would I use that stuff on automotive wheels. Heh heh, you think cleaning BBS wheels is a pain, try refinishing them ;)

MF gloves work OK as long as you don`t let things get too grungy. BHBs work great around lugnuts (if exposed), rivets/bolts/valvestems/etc. Theres just no way around the time it takes to clean things like BBS wheels.

And since it`s really hard to get to the back side, I found that pulling them off every now and then is pretty much mandatory unless you`re just gonna let the backs go, which can make for issues with mounting the weights (you *do* use adhesive weights mounted only on the back side, right ;) ).

If you keep them sealed/waxed you can just clean them with regular shampoo, otherwise I`d use a quality wheel cleaner (I`d even pick one that`s approved by BBS). Something fairly strong like the A2Z should be as aggressive as you need (you can also use clay and stuff like AIO or SRP).

bufferman71
12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Ive used those Mr clean sponges from Home Depot, works great on rims

klnyc
12-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Okay, I stopped over by AZ while I`m at lunch and bought me bottle of those Egale One wheel cleaner. I also ordered one those Autoglym crap.

So, my best bet, it`s pull off each wheel huh, PITA...

Oh well, so much with Simple Green and OXY huh? Im going use those for my engine bay hehe.

Accumulator
12-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by klnyc

Oh well, so much with Simple Green and OXY huh? Im going use those for my engine bay hehe.

I`d even be careful in the engine bay...don`t let the Simple Green ruin any metal component`s appearance. As you can tell, I`m pretty paranoid about that stuff, I`ve seen pics of what it can do.

Bill D
12-30-2004, 03:11 PM
I stay away from Simple Green entirely for the reasons noted above. I find even the dilutable Catrol Super Clean to work rather well and safely for those applications.

klnyc
12-30-2004, 05:22 PM
What about Woolite? Can that cut gump in the engine bay.

Woolite mix with OXY with 3/4th of water. I wonder how that work.

NavindraLR
12-30-2004, 05:35 PM
i would not use woolite, or oxy clean on ANYTHING on the exterior... a2z works well on wheels, fender wells, and the engine bay. to clean the exterior, you should use products that are specifically dedicated to that purpose

1 Clean WS6
12-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Those wheels are fun to clean!! :rolleyes: Especially if they are chrome and I have to apply a sealant to them!!

I use Meg`s Wheel Brightener from their Detailer line. Spay on...let set for 30 seconds...then blast off with a pressure washer. Get`s all the brake dust and saves me from uttering countless expletives.