PDA

View Full Version : New To Detailing! Help!!!

02blackbullet
12-29-2004, 08:14 AM
I have been a long time reader of this site and I`m finally ready to start getting serious about detailing. I have a 2002 Black on Black Camaro SS. I bought the car with 9000 miles on it this past year. From what I can gather, the previous owner took the BLACK car to a pay and spray. I got an awesome deal on the car so I went ahead and bought it. I have a pretty good amount of swirl marks and treated them the typical way. Someone introduced me to Zaino and I have also used Tropicare as well. I can`t get the swirl marks out so I have been eyeing a PC lately and the Merenza twins. I want an awesome, soaking wet look. From what I can gather, this is a list of the things that I plan to buy to get rid of them and produce an awesome finish. :

Porter Cable 7424 6" Variable-Speed Polisher

Sonus DAS Pad Kit

Zaino Z7

Sonus Ultimate Drying Towel

Sonus Der Wunder Mitt

Four Star Ultimate Detailing Clay

Menzerna Intensive Polish

Menzerna Final Polish

Klasse All-In-One.

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax or P21S Carnauba Wax

How does this list look? Any suggestions? If you have any, please make it much less confusing and post a link as to where I can get it and I know that this sounds very noobish of me but please do not abbreviate as I don`t know what the heck you`re talking about! :p

Thanks in advance!

You guys give awesome advise and thanks for all the good reading material. I`ve truly learned a lot! :bigups:

JeffM
12-29-2004, 09:03 AM
The AIO is a cleaner, so i wouldnt think you would need the p21s.

What about interior, tires, trim, door seals, engine compartment ect.

02blackbullet
12-29-2004, 09:19 AM
I was really just concerned with the paint right now but as for the things that you mentioned...

Interior:

Sonus Leather Cleaner

All Glass:

Sonüs Vision Glass Cleaner

Tires:

Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing

Trim:

303 Aerospace Protectant

Engine Compartment:

Simple Green and CD2 Engine Detailer

How`s it looking so far?

JasonD
12-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Sorry for the short reply, I will give you a longer one later when I get back.

For now, I`d recommend something else over Menzerna. Those are recommended for rotaries and can be hard to work with using a PC.

I`d also recommend using some EX Sealant between AIO and Souveran. This combo on black is just beautiful.

02blackbullet
12-29-2004, 09:45 AM
So, Instead of the Merenza duo, what would you suggest? My second GUESS was going to be somewhere along the lines of SSR1 and SSR2?

Eliot Ness
12-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 02blackbullet

Sonus DAS Pad Kit

Zaino Z7

Sonus Der Wunder Mitt

Menzerna Intensive Polish

Menzerna Final Polish

Klasse All-In-One.

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax or P21S Carnauba Wax.......

:welcome to Autopia!

First off here is a list of acronyms used around here that may help you out:

http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm&s=&menu=8

Your PC and pad selection look good, but you may want to consider ordering an extra polish pad or two and perhaps an extra finish pad (depending on how many products you may be using).

The wash mitt is OK, but I prefer a sheepskin (wool) wash mitt.

The clay, polish, and LSP (last step product- not listed in the acronym list!) are largely personal preference. The Menzerna line wouldnâ€â„¢t be my first choice but many here like them and get good results with a PC (SSR, Meg`s, or 3M are other good choices). There is at least one thread that shows how to use the Menzerna polishes with a PC and if you want Iâ€â„¢ll try to find it for you later.

Once you get all the swirls and defects removed from your paint your black SS will look pretty sharp! Add a coat or two of sealer and then some Souveran paste and it will be very wet and deep.

Here is a link to one sealer (of many) that would look good under Souveran (Poorboyâ€â„¢s EX):

http://www.premiumautocare.com/poexsewica16.html

Edit: here are a couple of threads on Menzerna:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47155

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47421&highlight=Menzerna

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24209

02blackbullet
12-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Awesome thanks for the help so far guys and the fast replies. I`ve revised my list a little. Tell me if I messed up anywhere or if there are better products for my black car.

(2)Sonus DAS Pad Kits

Zaino Z7

Sheepskin Wash Mitt

Poorboy`s SSR1

Poorboy`s SSR2

Poorboy`s EX

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

Do I pass the product ordering test or do I fail again have to go stand in the corner? :p

Thanks again guys. :bow

Eliot Ness
12-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Your list is looking pretty good, but with a black car that has a lot of swirls you may want to go with SSR2.5 and SSR1, it just depends on how bad the swirls are.

You don`t really need two pad kits, just order one kit and some extra pads (unless you want an extra backing plate for some reason).

You may already have this covered, but if not you`ll want some quality MF`s (micro fiber towels) to buff off polish and wax.

Here is one good source:

http://www.exceldetail.com/exceldproductspagemfs.html

02blackbullet
12-29-2004, 10:44 AM
The swirls are visable under floresent light in my garage and then they are very visable in the tell-all sunlight. I`ll have to post a picture when I get home of the condition and let you guys tell me what you think. I am really uneasy about using the PC with something that is abrasive. Also, which pad would you use out of the Sonus kit for the SSR product line? I`ll just get a second set of all the pads minus the backing plate just to have them on hand or if a friend needs one.

Do I need to worry about the SSR 2.5 hazing the black paint or will I be ok?

TIA.

Eliot Ness
12-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 02blackbullet

.......which pad would you use out of the Sonus kit for the SSR product line? I`ll just get a second set of all the pads minus the backing plate just to have them on hand or if a friend needs one.

Do I need to worry about the SSR 2.5 hazing the black paint or will I be ok? .....

For SSR 2 or 2.5 start with the green pad and then move to the orange pad if needed (always start with the least aggressive product/pad and then step up if needed). For SSR1 use the green pad. Work small areas (~2 x 2) with a fast PC speed and slow arm passes. You may need to make multiple applications depending on how bad the swirls are.

If 2.5 does leave any hazing the SSR1 will remove it.

02blackbullet
12-29-2004, 10:56 AM
:bounce

Awesome, thanks for your help. You have no clue how much it`s helped me. I will be posting some before and afters for you guys to check out and let me know if I can do anything for better results and or better techniques.

Thanks again. :bow