PDA

View Full Version : Terry towels make paint look deeper/wetter

Scott P
12-29-2004, 07:37 AM
I`ve seen a lot of funny things said in car detailing forums. This, however, is a new one to me. The thread was about how to avoid swirl marks. The topic of microfiber came up. Here is one of the responses.

1 More thing..................

Do the pepsi/coke challenge on the car. And u will see first

hand that the terry cloth gives you a Deeper/Weter/High gloss

shine compare to the microfiber side

I`ve compare the 2 side doors and the towels rocked it (micro) lost.

I really believe that the micro CAN at times take too much product off.

FYI, I`m 1 of those people that mix/match products together to

acheive the ultimate look

I know that somtimes I (as well as other Autopians) can be considered Detailing Elitists, but what is the deal with this? I know that many people still don`t use MF towels since cotton towels are safe and have worked for years.

But, this is the first time that I`ve seen someone state that cotton towels give a wetter finish because MF towels remove too much product. It`s an interesting view nonetheless.

Mr Monk
12-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Scott. Forget the towels . . .

I wave a chicken over my car while dancing on one leg and I swear my paint looks deeper/wetter!

stilez
12-29-2004, 08:53 AM
I`ve heard that MF towels take off ALL the product before...That was reallly funny...

But come on, NOTHING beats using Pampers Diapers...If it`s safe for your baby, it`s safe for your vehicle`s finish!

Scimmia
12-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Just to clarify, his original statement was that Megs didn`t recommend using MF with NXT because it removed too much product. When I asked him where he`d heard that, he said it was on the bottle, so I checked, and it said to use cotton or MF. When I posted that, this was his response. I don`t know if he was being serious in this post or just trying to save face.

SilverLexus
12-29-2004, 11:40 AM
...If it`s safe for your baby, it`s safe for your vehicle`s finish!

:rofl

Accumulator
12-29-2004, 11:47 AM
People post all sorts of [stuff] and you can waste a lot of time challenging it. Still, it`s too bad that people might be lead astray by misinformation.

At the Meguiar`s clinics, they use their Ultimate Bonnets (MF) to remove NXT. That should be enough to counter the NXT/MF thing.

But hey, if he`s happy with what he`s doing all you can say is that your experiences differ from his.

zzyyzx
12-29-2004, 12:38 PM
I was at the Autopia Detail Day at Megs and a bunch of people questioned Mike Phillips on that exact statement on the bottle. Why Terry Cloth instead of MF? His response was something along the line of the average consumer (i.e. majority of their sales) aren`t going to have MF and they didn`t want to confuse them or lose their sales. They definitely recommend them and did use them for everything!!!

I use my old terry clothes for drying tires and cleaning the house now.

evil_c5
12-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by zzyyzx

I was at the Autopia Detail Day at Megs and a bunch of people questioned Mike Phillips on that exact statement on the bottle. Why Terry Cloth instead of MF? His response was something along the line of the average consumer (i.e. majority of their sales) aren`t going to have MF and they didn`t want to confuse them or lose their sales. They definitely recommend them and did use them for everything!!!

I use my old terry clothes for drying tires and cleaning the house now.

:xyxthumbs

terrys make good tire and wheel well rags and good to wipe up oil when it drips from changing oil.

old microfibers are great for dusting around the house!

i use microfibers for everything! terrys only for disposable jobs.

SK2003TypeS
12-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

I`ve heard that MF towels take off ALL the product before...That was reallly funny...

I`ve heard that one before too.

My terrys are used for QEW sessions these days, otherwise I stick with MFs.

imported_The Uncle
12-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Dr Groove

I wave a chicken over my car while dancing on one leg and I swear my paint looks deeper/wetter!

Carnuba chicken or polymer?

txz28
12-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Dr Groove

Cooked, raw, or live chicken?

shaw
12-30-2004, 07:19 PM
I recall seeing a performance claim of MF on a well known site that supplies quality detailing products. I was really confused after reading it.

from the site...

"Terry or velour weave Microfiber is designed to adhere to a surface. It literally clings to grease and film, taking it off in a single swipe. While this is desirable for most surfaces, it is a disaster for a waxed finish. The plush terry microfiber cannot distinguish between a layer of expensive Carnauba wax and common greasy film."

and this...

"Gently wipe with a soft terry towel or cotton baby diaper. (Do not use terry microfiber towels on freshly applied wax)."

I questioned the logic and received a steadfast answer to support the aforementioned "facts." MF remains my towel of choice.

Happy New Year!

Accumulator
12-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Shaw- Heh heh, yeah, that sounds familiar, I bet we`ve seen the same one. Much as I like those folks, I always figured it was just a sales pitch for their UltraSuede MFs, which do, BTW, work very well on LSPs. As for the regular towel/diaper recommendation...well, it doesn`t really reflect too well on them does it :(

JustinR32
12-31-2004, 01:11 PM
1) Anyone who writes "u" instead of "you" starts of with almost no credibility with me. If a person has to take a shortcut to write a three letter word, what sorts of other shortcuts will he take?

2) I definitely recall Mike himself making the claim that mfs removed too much product, but I do believe he has backed off from that position. I think he was referring specifically to the glazes, #s 7 and 81. I personally get the best results from using terry with #7 rather than mfs; mfs "clog up" too quickly. The Koala towels are my favorite, along with the Martha Stewart 4* towels from Kmart (to me they are identical in weave and plushness).

Tom