PDA

View Full Version : Soap

Pages : [1] 2

Web Docta
12-28-2004, 08:08 PM
How important is the type of soap that you use to wash your car?

I`ve basically been using "Dawn" to wash my vehicles.

bimmerzhp
12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
You might want to stop using Dawn. It will remove any wax on your car you may apply and also remove the oils in your paint. Get yourself a good quality car wash soap. You can try Meguiars Gold Class or Meguiars NXT wash. I like Zymols car wash. Try a search for car soaps or go in the reviews section at the top of the home page and read reviews about loads of different soaps used by members.

White95Max
12-28-2004, 08:34 PM
In addition, Dawn will dry out your rubber door seals. Once you get some car wash soap, I`d highly recommend a product like 1Z Gummipflege (Better hurry - Check the Autopia Store) to revive your dried-out seals.

JeffM
12-28-2004, 08:39 PM
At the local auto part store they have an assortment of washes. I think it is PRO that makes a wash that says it has a wax in it, whats everyones take on this type of product?

Also i think i saw a turtle wax wash with wax capsules in it, i already have turtle wax company on my banned list so that one is out.

Web Docta
12-28-2004, 08:44 PM
OK, I will be saving what`s left in the bottle for my dirty dishes.

:D

It`s amazing what I DON`T know about detailing.

imported_DARKSTI
12-28-2004, 09:03 PM
i lik Eagle One Wet Wash

az57chevy
12-28-2004, 10:22 PM
You might save the Dawn. Zaino recommends it for removing any and all previous waxes before you use their product line; so that you start fresh with whatever product/s you choose!

Web Docta
12-29-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by az57chevy

You might save the Dawn. Zaino recommends it for removing any and all previous waxes before you use their product line; so that you start fresh with whatever product/s you choose!

I was just thinking the same thing!

BTW, nice car.

cwcad
12-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Web Docta

:D

It`s amazing what I DON`T know about detailing. [/B]

have read that comment more than once since becoming an Autopian.

also, your comment is dramatically more poignant because i uttered those very wordsafter about the same number of posts. give or take a few.

just be careful. detailing can become an addiction.:D

JeffM
12-29-2004, 07:52 AM
So what about these washes with wax in them?

Accumulator
12-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Most of the washes with wax don`t have much wax at all. Almost just a marketing gimmick. And anything that *does* have a lot of wax in it might cause issues with glass, rubber (tires), etc. and also with the bonding of any subsequently applied products. I`d stick with washes that pretty much just *clean* and rely on other products for other results.

Opinions differ on this topic, but *I* find that using high-lubricity/high quality shampoos makes a big difference- far less wash-induced marring. Some shampoos seem especially well suited to certain LSPs; they clean well without stripping the protection.

I like Griot`s Car Wash and Meg`s #62 myself.

Detailr75
12-29-2004, 12:15 PM
These two threads are informative on this topic -- got them from DetailKing:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36785&highlight=dawn

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=42742&highlight=dawn

The gist is, that no one has ever seen any problem or damage caused by use of non-car detergents. Of course, common sense indicates that you use a product that leaves nothing behind: no hair shampoos with conditioners or medications; no car shampoos with "wax"; etc. Hence the focus on Dawn dishwashing liquid -- Dawn is yer basic basic detergent.

I think the technique you use is more important than what you mix in the water.

fertzguy
12-29-2004, 01:24 PM
even the cheapest car wash is better than using dawn all the time

JeffM
12-29-2004, 03:36 PM
LOL, i just read 80% of that thread.....if you use Dawn, keep it hush hush around here :)

Web Docta
12-29-2004, 03:55 PM
I just went out to the garage today and I realized that I have been using Kirkland Dish Washing detergent ( I practically live at Costco ) instead of Dawn....thats probably even worse. :o