PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer revisited

kevmo327
12-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Ok, wife got me a pressure washer and after returning it I think I am happy...

Attempt one was an Excell 2500PSI with Briggs and Stratton motor...I didn not like the Briggs motor and the fact it had a cheap plastic hose and a cheap adjustable nozzle that didnt wrk great.

Retrned it for (and paid extra) 2600PSI with Honda motor and interchangable tips with rubber hose...much better.

So far the only thing I had time to do is wheels but it made it a snap

Pondscum
12-28-2004, 02:30 PM
I would echo your concerns about the adjustable wands. I wouldn`t have one of them either. I`m holding off getting one until I can get a good one.

One thing about Briggs and Stratton though, they do make an excellent motor. I have a Snapper push mower that I`ve had for 15 years. It still has the original B&S motor and it still starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time and works like a charm. In the unlikely event the pump outlasts the B&S motor, you can get a replacement B&S relatively cheap. A replacement Honda motor would not be economically feasible.

kevmo327
12-28-2004, 02:45 PM
My lawnmower has a BS on it and I have had no issues...I have just heard from everypone that the Honda is the way to go....Also the Honda unit has 100PSI more and about 1500 CU more

23jam
12-28-2004, 04:16 PM
What is the consensus on pressure washing in general?

My neighbor has a pressure washer that he uses on his Expedition every week. The clear cloat is all peeling off in different spots. I keep wondering if it is all the pressure washing he has done to it?

airjames
12-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 56Oval

What is the consensus on pressure washing in general?

My neighbor has a pressure washer that he uses on his Expedition every week. The clear cloat is all peeling off in different spots. I keep wondering if it is all the pressure washing he has done to it?

Pressure washing I see it as making very grimy things clean up easier, especially hot water ones. If you hold your pressure washer right up to your vehicle, yea it will peel the paint off if powerful enough. Your neighbor, providing he`s staying a reasonable distance from the truck, the clearcoat failure has nothing to do with the pressure. If doesn`t wax it, then there`s his problem right there or just faulty paint from the factory. but most BC/CC paint jobs of todays standards are pretty durable.

If he pressure washes it regularly as mentioned, then I don`t see a need for it every week. I like to use pressure washers for cleaning up really nasty grungy things. Cars that havn`t been washed since the day they rolled off the assembly line for instance,,,,,,AR

kevmo327
12-28-2004, 04:41 PM
I am using mine for wheels, undercarrige and other household chores (washing the dog, lol)

Hemi57
12-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Here in Melbourne Australia, due to the drought over the past 4 years, we have water restrictions and cannot use a hose to clean a vehicle unless it is connected to a Pressure Washer.

I have an Alto AC mains power washer, made in Belgium. It was chosen as it was reasonably ecomonical to buy, had a 2 year replacement warranty and is fitted with a metal pump. The entry level Karchers have fibre pump assemblies.

I set the adjustable spray wide to avoid concentrating too much pressure on one spot and have been using it for over 2 years on three cars with no ill effects.

jasonmac
12-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by kevmo327

I am using mine for wheels, undercarrige and other household chores (washing the dog, lol)

Same for me -- I got one from Home Depot, and seems to work well on those areas. Even though it`s "only" 1400psi, I`m always careful not to get too close or touch the body with the spray.

SVR
12-30-2004, 12:02 AM
I have a mid range Karcher standing model with a brass pump

Operating pressure is 1000-1200 psi. I have found that the coin op self serve wash bay 1500psi pressure guns weaken the sealants on my car (when interstate) or take away some of that slick feel

They also make my top exterior trims go yucky and I have to vanilla moose, autoglym strawberry jam(07B) and wolfgang them again as forever black and black again do nothing due to the type of trim it is (very rough)

When I use the karcher I do it side on, not directly at the paint which can cause impact scratches (occasionally)

SVR
12-30-2004, 12:02 AM
I have a mid range Karcher standing model with a brass pump

Operating pressure is 1000-1200 psi. I have found that the coin op self serve wash bay 1500psi pressure guns weaken the sealants on my car (when interstate) or take away some of that slick feel

They also make my top exterior trims go yucky and I have to vanilla moose, autoglym strawberry jam(07B) and wolfgang them again as forever black and black again do nothing due to the type of trim it is (very rough)

When I use the karcher I do it side on, not directly at the paint which can cause impact scratches (occasionally)

idetailva
01-02-2005, 07:15 AM
I don`t understand the problem with using a pressure washer. Being a professional detailer I use them everyday on every vehicle. I use a pro washer that heats the water and running at 2400psi. I keep it mounted in my trailer as I do mobile detailing and have mounted a 100 gal water tank that it draws from. One just needs to learn to use it wisely.

redfish
01-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Airborne Ranger

I like to use pressure washers for cleaning up really nasty grungy things. Cars that havn`t been washed since the day they rolled off the assembly line for instance,

I use mine to clean my Jeep after off roading. It cuts down the wash time considerably, and it would probably cost me $15-20 to do it at the coin car wash each time. It`s like an Autopians worst nightmare getting all the mud/clay from under it... the stuff just keeps coming out of nowhere!

Accumulator
01-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I`ve had a number of the Karchers, but I`ve never seen the need to use them on vehicles. I *did* use one on the undercarriage of a `75 Jag that had never been cleaned, but that was an extreme situation. I *can* see a similar need with the undercarriages of vehicles that do off-road stuff or with something in really awful condition.

I don`t get it for use on decently maintained paint though. How do you not get marring from using one on dirty paint? It seems that the water pressure would force the contamination into the finish, even if used at an angle. The only way I can wash without marring it to just barely touch the dirt, using only enough pressure to gently dislodge it, and then flood it off the surface with *low-pressure* soapy water from the foamgun. Whether pressing with a mitt or with water pressure, I just don`t see how it can be done safely :confused: And I dunno, it seems like a lot of force to use around moldings/trim/etc. Maybe I`m being overly cautious, but I`d sure rather err on the side of caution...

I remember reading somewhere (maybe the TireRack) that you have to be really careful using them around the rim/bead of wheels/tires lest you cause permanent damage.