PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your Lawn Equipment?

armoredsaint
12-27-2004, 06:13 PM
I`m planning to use my garage for "automotive" related items, but need an ingenious plan to hide/store things like a lawnmower, shovels, trimmers and etc. I am not allowed to have a storage shed either in my development. What are your ideas?

Thanks!

zzyyzx
12-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Right now, my lawn equipment is just neatly placed off to the side of my garage. Saw something on eBay that basically raises the rear wheels and makes the handles go more verticle. I can`t seem to find it anymore, but pretty nifty. I`m going to make something like that for my stuff. Then, I`m going to put hooks on the walls (mounted to the studs) to hang whatever else I can. I suppose you could do this and then build a small wall around where the equipment is going.

Pondscum
12-27-2004, 07:34 PM
You might check with your homeowner`s association regarding storage sheds. They may only restrict certain types of storage sheds. My HOA is pretty strict and they don`t completely restrict them, they just have a few rules which govern them. If your HOA does indeed restrict all of them, you might check with the HOA board and ask them which is worse, storing everything outdoors, or having a shed?

Alternatively, I`ve seen some people put their lawnmower on a wooden pallet, then cover it with a wheelbarrow.

AudiOn19s
12-28-2004, 09:04 AM
My develpment is pretty strict too but I have a rubbermaid small storage shed that I actually have around the back of my house and sitting up to the house (it`s not freestanding in the back of the yard or anything). It`s big enough that the mower and other lawn tools can be put inside and it gets them out of my garage...not really that unattractive either and I`ve not had any complaints yet.

Don`t have any pictures of mine but here`s what I`m talking about.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/hpd/consumer/product/detail.jhtml?prod=HPFG366702+907&attributeId=HPATT4005&nextType=noValue&currentType=HPCAT02&locationId=LOC00001&thirdMenuIndex=5

armoredsaint
12-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Hey Andy, how was your X-mas? Thanks for the info, you think New Albany will let me build one of these :D BTW, which development are you at? 5 years ago we where in Oak Creek, off E Powell and Old State. I`m going to be in Windsor/Showcase Homes here in NA in 6 months, the waiting sucks!

http://www.americansteelspan.com/images/collage_storage_01.jpg

Originally posted by AudiOn19s

My develpment is pretty strict too but I have a rubbermaid small storage shed that I actually have around the back of my house and sitting up to the house (it`s not freestanding in the back of the yard or anything). It`s big enough that the mower and other lawn tools can be put inside and it gets them out of my garage...not really that unattractive either and I`ve not had any complaints yet.

Don`t have any pictures of mine but here`s what I`m talking about.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/hpd/consumer/product/detail.jhtml?prod=HPFG366702+907&attributeId=HPATT4005&nextType=noValue&currentType=HPCAT02&locationId=LOC00001&thirdMenuIndex=5

Brad B
12-29-2004, 06:13 AM
I have an attic in the garage with pull-up steps and enough space to walk around (about 7` overhead at the peak) so I keep as much non-car stuff up there as I can.

I have a trap door in the ceiling with a hoist mounted in the attic rafters so I can pull up the big items when not in seasonal use like the lawn mower and snowblower, garden equipment, etc. I keep all my rakes, fertilizer, etc. up there. I have a large basket that attaches to the hoist so I can raise and lower lots of stuff at once rather than walking up and down the stairs.

Trap door:

http://www.fototime.com/1486C6B8D57085A/standard.jpg

Trap door on upper right. Stairs out of picture on far right.

http://www.fototime.com/663E33AA5B51689/standard.jpg

Hard to see here, but the stairs pull down in front of both cars so I don`t have to move cars to get up in the attic.

http://www.fototime.com/6FF297D6E50F39B/standard.jpg

armoredsaint
12-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Brad B, that is one great looking garage! I hope to accomplish something close to that when my new house is finished being built in 6 months! What do you use on your floors and how well is it holding up so far?

BTW awesome S4 and 911:D

Brad B
12-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I only wish I had a new clean slate like you! It must be exciting to start fresh.

I used a commercial grade two part epoxy. I had it installed professionally. The two sides of the garage were done about 5 years apart, hence the color difference. (The left side was a new addition. The right side is the original carriage house)

It`s holding up very well. One side is probably 10 years old now and has been through everything you can imagine. Car restorations, chemicals, salt, etc.

Before I had this I tried the Griots system and another do-it-yourself system. I followed all instructions (I`m pretty handy and quite anal with the details) however neither one lasted. It came up under the tires, chipped too easy, etc.

I found a commercial installer and made a deal with them to do my garage "on the side" when they had time. (They normally did huge factories, etc.) It was worth it.

armoredsaint
12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Hey Brad B., what`s the specs on your fluorescent lighting there and does that set-up provide descent illumination? It`s looks good from the pics.

Brad B
12-30-2004, 08:07 PM
I bought all T-8 (I thinks that`s the designation) lights. They are cold weather ballast lights. They take the small diameter bulbs and are very bright. They don`t have the typical "hum" of regular flor. lights and they start instantly without warmup or flicker no matter how cold it is.

The trick is to get as many of them as you can. Place them not only above, but also far enough in front and to the sides of your car so the light gets to as many places as possible. The more lights the better. And, if you like, break up what comes on/off by setting them up on different circuits/switches.

When doing the garage electric be sure to have PLENTY of electrical outlets all around the perimeter of the garage. I have them every 6` or so. Also have extras in the ceiling for drop down cords and reel lights. Plan ahead now!

AudiOn19s
12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Ray,

Christmas was great...got some Audi and BMW flags to decorate the new garage and more detailing stuff from the wife. We live in a new addition to a M/I development that`s a few years old, Wynstone. Nothing fancy really, not even an M/I showcase home but I was still pretty shocked when I read the homeowner association rules.

Sounds like you`re building the house that I`m dreaming of down the road. I hope to be financially ready for that home when I`m 30 (nearly 5 years away still).

Andy

txz28
12-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Brad probably has one of the nicest garages. :up :up

SilverLexus
12-31-2004, 08:02 PM
Brad,

I forgot how nice your garage is. :bow

How did you find your contractor for the commercial grade epoxy?

Thanks.

Brad B
01-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

Brad,

I forgot how nice your garage is. :bow

How did you find your contractor for the commercial grade epoxy?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I simply found them in the phone book and went to their facility and told them what I wanted. They said they only did big jobs but that my request was common and that their workers did small jobs on the side, with approval from the company. They had several names right there at the front desk. I called a couple and just set up a price and time. He came out in the company truck on a weekend. It was pretty cool. I imagine many companies do the same thing. (On or off the record!);)