PDA

View Full Version : Autopians - What kind of stereo equipment do you have in your vehicles?

Pages : [1] 2 3

stilez
12-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey all,

So I have been thinking, moreso recently, that I want to get back into the car stereo scene. Nothing crazy at all, but I want to enjoy it for what I listen to, mainly house music/techno/trance as well as hip hop/rap/classic rock/etc. I listen to pretty much everything, but I want the bass to be there when I demand it most.

In my past 2 vehicles, I had stereos that I had entered into competitions and done pretty well. For the explorer, I had a Pioneer DEH-P7000 head unit mated with an Audiobahn Mono Amplifier (first year available) mated to 3 JL Audio 12W6`s in a single chambered box. To say the least, the system was LOUD! I knew not much about tuning other than what sounded right to me. In a competetition I was hitting 137 - 140 dB.

I then moved to my Caddy ETC where I got a little more serious. The Caddy had a Bose system that would be a HUGE PITA to take out. I kept the deck and speakers, but implemeneted 100hz bass blockers for the stock speakers. For the amplifier, I had the big Alpine V12, 1500x1, mated to, 2-Kicker Solobaric Circles (12") in a dual chambered fiberglass resonated box. Along with this I had a line driver to boost the voltage that the stock deck lacked for the amplifier. I also had a bass controller which added some serious kick to the system. All in all, this stereo was well into the 140 range...Estimated around 146-149 dB by a professional.

Anyways, I did these two systems on my own and have good knowledge installation wise in the area. My Acura is already wired in 1/0 Gauge trim. I ripped the wires out of both cars because I knew how valuable they were. So I have an inline fuse and complete wiring now as well as upgraded Pioneer speakers...Nothing crazy, but definatley a lot clearer than OEM. I want to do something simple but effective. I was thinking...

- (1) Kicker Comp VR - 10"

- (1) Pioneer Deck (simple, not crazy, Mp3 not needed)

- (1) ???? Amp for the sub

- (1) Sealed box, compact in size, but definatley with the volume needed for the Comp VR

I thought Comp VR and Pioneer Deck because I`ve had a lot of success with those items in my vehicles and friends. I truly believe the Comp VR is one of the best bangs for the buck.

I just want to know if anyone has any other suggestions for stereo components...Something you have had luck with. Thanks in advance.

Blazern00b
12-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Nice setup. I have a simple Panasonic head in the dash..... Cant recall the model, its old!

I try to not work on the truck other than detailing and changing oil and what not, as my day job involves, heh, installing car audio equipment. :)

As for your amp, try something from Phoenix Gold, JL, or another Alpine. Im sure you will be happy.

Wasatch
12-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Alpine Deck, JL Sub, Alpine Amp, Crossfire Amp, Not really sure which speakers, but definitely not stock.

Wax2max
12-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Alpine Deck, Infinity Subs, CDT Audio components, AudioControl graphic equalizers, Xtant amp

imported_fireberd350
12-27-2004, 01:15 PM
I don`t like that much bass just enough:

the dodge: stock deck and stock infinity 8speaker system, 6cd changer, MTX thunderform enlosure under rear seat w/ 2 10`s powered by mild mtx amp

the buick: kick comp 12" powered by a mild kicker amp w/ a pioneer comp deck

both with 8gauge phoenix gold wiring kits.

in my firebird all I needed was a small tube since it was a hatchback and some infinity components and it sounded great, some of my friends are like you tho and have/had competition level sh!t, to me it`s just annoying!

Blazern00b
12-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Forgot to ask, whats in the doors? OEM?

I`d drop in new door speakers first, if you haven`t done so already. Spend time listening to other cars, stay out of the showrooms full of products. Trust your ears, sometimes that $1000 set of speakers isn`t the best for you. :)

stilez
12-27-2004, 09:51 PM
I upgraded to a bit higher end Pioneer speaker. They provide a much more crisp mid and high end. The low end is now my main concern. Simple, yet effective.

Scottwax
12-27-2004, 10:04 PM
I`ve got a Pioneer DEH-P6400 head unit, the rest is stock Bose. The sound is suprisingly good now. The Pioneer HU really cleaned up the sound. In fact, when I was having it put in, after the installer turned it on, my son turned to me and said "Wow! Is that our car?" No more muddy, boomy Bose sound. Clear highs, tight bass, just an overall very clean sound.

I didn`t even bother pulling my Kenwood KAC-848 4 channel amp and JBL and Infinity Kappa speakers out of my Accord. The speakers were all 6.5" anyway and my 626 takes 6 x 8 in the doors and 6 x 9 in the rear deck.

stilez
12-27-2004, 10:06 PM
I`m really looking forward to a quality head-unit cleaning up the sound. I will probably place my order tomorrow once I get all of the price quotes back :).

Robb
12-27-2004, 10:06 PM
ive got a couple yr old panasonic-top of the line then

1-12` rf hx2

1-rf 300a1

6.5`rf comps

us acoustics 100x2 amp

pt91
12-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Mine was finished a few months ago. Mine was fairly tame.

Wanted a stock look.

US Amps 5600x in custom unit

CDT upstage M519t in custom fabricated A pillars

CDT ES-630 in fully dampened doors

Image Dynamics IDQ10 V.2 D4 in custom sub box

Kenwood Excelon DDX7015 in existing console

Pics here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8577

temposs
12-27-2004, 10:19 PM
In my Explorer I`m running an Eclipse 8052 Headunit (no internal amp). Signals are being processed by matching Concept amps, 754 (bridged @ 150x2) for my front comps and 1200d (running @ 2ohm, 750x1) for the sub.

I choose to only run front 6.5 componets for optimal sound staging. I`m running CDT EF61CF`s, with 1" silk tweeters and Satnet 560 xovers. Sound amazing for the price (under 200 dollars).

For the bass I`m running a 15" Resonant Engineering SE in a 3.75cft ported box (built myself) tuned to 34hz. I`ll soon be adding another one of these in. Excellent SQL out of this sub, I highly recommend this company.

All pictures can be found here. (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/685866/2) They are a bit outdated, though.

lbls1
12-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Stock GM HU and Monsoon speaker system, complimented nicely with MTX ThunderForm 10" Sub.

MTomlinson07
12-27-2004, 10:24 PM
I have the Kicker Comp Vr 10" subwoofer that you want with a 600w kenwood amp, it is running at two ohms because of the dual 4ohm voice coils. Overall it is a good sub it sounds great with country and rock music, but seems to have trouble with the lower frequencies. I have mine in a ported downfiring box.

salty
12-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Sony es c8850 head unit powering 2 JL audio 4`` front.

Soundstream 102 powering Kenwood 5 1/4`` comp. front.

Soundstream 302 powering JL audio 6x9 back.

Phoenix Gold m100 powering 12`` Pioneer sealed box.

1/0 gauge split to 4 gauge.