PDA

View Full Version : PBW Vs Meguiars Swirl Removal

petraidm
12-27-2004, 04:53 AM
#83 Vs SSR2.5; #80 Vs SSR1.0

For those that have tried / use both what are the advantages / disavantages of of the Meguiars #83/ #80 combo over an SSR2.5/1.0 Combo ( for example I has been stated that SSR`s don`t breakdown good with damp pads or high humidity - a definate disadvantage here in Louisiana) I currently have / use Meguiars but am being lured by the dark side to buy more stuff to try even though I may not need it. So help me all you Obi Wan`s out there.

DCT
12-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Just a little FYI here first............ #80 would be more comparable to SSR2 in abrasiveness and performance. SSR1 is more comparable to #9.

Anyhow, all those products you have mentioned are excellent products, and work extremely well if used correctly. I really like how easy PB`s polishes break down with a PC. I also like the way SSR2.5 leaves the finish. You can sometimes go right to your LSP after 2.5. On the other hand, DACP will sometimes leave some light marring/cloudiness that needs to be cleaned up with a lighter polish.

That being said, my favorite prep process is........... SSR2.5 or SSR2 (depending on paint condition) followed by Menzerna FP II.

Again, you won`t go wrong with any of the products you`ve mentioned.

stevet
12-27-2004, 08:01 AM
If you are looking for an alternative combo to #83/#80 try 3M Perefect It III Rubbing Compound and Perfect It III Machine Glaze. Very user friendly by hand or PC. PI III RC is more abrasive than #83 and PI III MG is about the same as #80, maybe a little less abrasive. Both 3M products can be purchased local at a body shop supply store.

fertzguy
12-27-2004, 08:09 AM
You should think about trying Einszett polishes. I think you will be very pleased with the results

Eliot Ness
12-27-2004, 08:22 AM
One advantage the SSR line has is the ability to work it in the sun.

Scottwax
12-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

One advantage the SSR line has is the ability to work it in the sun.

Very nice advantage for those of us who are mobile.

I haven`t used the PBs SSR line enough to have a firm opinion of them vs other products, but the ones I tried did seem to work very well.

I just haven`t found a moderately aggressive swirl remover that finishes off as nicely as #80. I just love how wet paint looks after using it.

SVR
12-30-2004, 12:14 AM
I love the poorboys. Meg`s #9 followed by IP and FP didn`t do much but the ssr range is great

Quarter way through refinishing my car and SSR`s are the key

Have used ssr3 followed by 2.5 twice, meg`s #9 (ssr 2 and 1) on the way, menzerna twins, klasse AIO and SG X 4

Done all this by hand as I need new pads for rotary and really need one of you autopia rotary masters from OZ to teach me

Safer that way

Really happy with the paint condition and the swirls are extremely fine

Go PB