View Full Version : My current product list

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
12-26-2004, 10:59 PM
I`ve been asked to do this by a few fellow autopians, so here goes:

Exterior

Normal (for me) wash: Protect All`s QEW

Conventional washing: Meguiars Gold Class

QD:Clearkote`s Quikshine. Currently testing the Race Glaze QD, which is also a nice product

PC Pads: Usually Meguiars Soft Buff Pads. I`ve tried a couple of the Excel Detail pads and really like them too, going to order more to further evaluate

Heavy polish: Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

Swirl Remover: Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze. I cannot say enough good things about this product. Very effective, reasonably quick and easy and you can go right to your LSP

Final Glaze/polish: Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose, Poorboy`s Polish w/carnauba and Klasse AIO. Really, it is a toss-up between the 3. VM is a touch wetter than the other two.

Dark paint carnauba: Cleakrote`s Carnauba Moose, Pinnacle Souveran if they pay extra

Light paint carnauba: Poorboy`s Natty`s Paste Wax

Durability carnauba: Meguiars #16. This is also my default carnauba. If I can`t make up my mind what I want to use, I go with #16

Dark paint sealant: Poorboy`s EX w/Carnauba

Light paint sealant: 4 Star UPP

Metallic paint sealant: Poorboy`s EX-P. I really liked how nice Zaino Z2 Pro looked as well but it is a bit more labor intensive, even with AIO as a base unless you don`t layer

Tire/wheel well Protectant: Armor All Original Shine, applied with an Eagle Tire Swipe. Still testing Meguiars Hyper Dressing. I am getting some minor build up with it, but maybe I am not cutting it enough

Rubber/plastic trim: Meguiars #38 Rubber and Trim Gel

Glass: Eagle 20/20 Glass Cleaner. I also sometimes use AIO or VM on exterior glass when buffing

Interior:

Leather and vinyl, all purpose cleaning: Woolite and water, cut 6:1 (6 parts water).

Carpeting and upholstry: Magnum Upholstry Shampoo, Woolite/water when I run out

Vinyl Dressing: Meguiars #40 or Armor All

Leather Dressing Turtle Wax Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (the spray version). Don`t laugh, it is a very nice product. Nice mild leather scent, soaks in quickly with a very light sheen and it won`t clog the holes in ventilated seats

Wood trim: Damp MF towel

Miscellaneous:

I use a combination of Pakshak, Excel Detail and Viking microfiber towels. I am currently testing Race Glaze products and a potential new line, similar to Klasse but with new technology. No release date yet, still being field tested. I haven`t even had a chance to try it on anything other than my dryer yet, but looks pretty good on appliance white!

If I can think of more, I`ll add to the list. I`m fixin` to go to bed, I have an Excursion to detail in the morning.

Bill D
12-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the list Scott. I`m certain many will find it very useful. :up

I don`t recall mention of Viking mfs before. The Viking brand in general seems very scarce no matter where I shop :( I assume they are in "the same league" as the premium online varieties? Where do you buy them? Thanks.

Scottwax
12-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Bill-I use their orange hemless towels. I know Excel Detail sells the same towels for a bit less, but you can buy them locally, usually at AutoZone. That way if you need them right now, you can get them...provided they have them in stock.

imported_Burlyq
12-26-2004, 11:25 PM
The Z2 pro was more labor intensive than your other sealants? Or are you saying you don`t layer all other sealants but you do with Zaino? I guess then it would be more labor intensive.

Have you tried Wolfgang sealant yet?

Autoglym twins?

P21s concours didn`t make that list?

Have you done any long term observations with 16, reason I`m asking is that Guru tests weren`t that impressed with that product, especially compared to P21s? Isn`t 16 more labor intensive?

What kind of machine do you use for your polishing, PC?

Let me clarify, you use woolite mixure for carpet extraction? What kind of carpet machine do you use?

Setec Astronomy
12-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Clay/lube?

Scottwax
12-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Burly-Yes, I have tried and like Wolfgang. I don`t use it as regularly as some of the other products though. I was just trying to stick with products I use the most often. I tend to use Wolfgang on dark non metallic paints since it seems to look best on them.

I tried some Autoglym products years ago. Very nice but I already have so many products on hand right now.

I like P21S/S100 both for appearance and ease of use, but since Meguiars #16 has such a similar appearance IMO and is definitely more durable, I go with that instead. I still have a jar of S100 though.

I use the Guru Tests more as a guideline but I don`t consider it the Bible of product testing. Some of their results have mirrored mine, some haven`t. #16 beads a lot better than S100 at the 3 month point and it holds it`s appearance longer.

I use a PC and also tested a Cyclo (which I recently returned to the owner). I will probably purchase a Cyclo in the near future.

I don`t have an extractor other than a Little Green Machine. I normally shampoo, wet vac, rinse then wet vac again. I find it much quicker and gives better results than the Little Green Machine. I haven`t found a small extractor that really does a great job yet. I don`t have room for a full sized one.

Setec Astronomy-I knew I`d forget something. I used Clay Magic, Clearkote`s and Meguiar`s clay bars, whichever I happen to have on hand. I know Clay Magic makes the new Meguiars bars and am pretty sure Clearkote gets their bars from them too. I normally use QEW as the lube so I can clay and wash at the same time.

SilverLexus
12-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Scott,

Thank you for the superb list. I agree with you on #16 for durability but I think P21S looks better overall. Both are great waxes.

I`m thinking about getting a Little Green Machine. I have seen them recently at Home Depot and Target.

stevet
12-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I know Clay Magic makes the new Meguiars bars and am pretty sure Clearkote gets their bars from them too.

Scottwax, what color is the new Megs Clay Bar? Is it blue like the Clay Magic bar?

superstring
12-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Hey Scott, I have a quick question about #80. How would you rate its` ability to FILL fine swirls? Does its` effectiveness come from a COMBINATION of abrading (removing) and filling? Is it better at one or the other?

Thanks.

stilez
12-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the list Scott. I see a lot of my favorites on there :)

What kind of buildup are you getting with Hyper Dressing?

a.k.a. Patrick
12-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by superstring

Hey Scott, I have a quick question about #80. How would you rate its` ability to FILL fine swirls? Does its` effectiveness come from a COMBINATION of abrading (removing) and filling? Is it better at one or the other?

Thanks.

Speed Glaze, in my opinion, doesnt really do much for filling. Its just a great all around polish for better than average swirls and oxidation. Its incredibly easy to use, leaves a beautiful finish, and provides some very minimal protection. (hope you dont mind Scott, lol) I`d give it a 9 for polishing, and a 1 for filling.....A total of 10. Great stuff, one of my main staples.

Pats300zx
12-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Great list Scott...Its a big help for new Autopians that are looking for what products the "masters" find the best. :up

Scottwax
12-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Speed Glaze, in my opinion, doesnt really do much for filling. Its just a great all around polish for better than average swirls and oxidation. Its incredibly easy to use, leaves a beautiful finish, and provides some very minimal protection. (hope you dont mind Scott, lol) I`d give it a 9 for polishing, and a 1 for filling.....A total of 10. Great stuff, one of my main staples.

Patrick nailed it. I`d consider #80 the best overall polish in Meguiars line. I also think it leaves the finish wetter looking than #9 or #82 and has more bite.

stevet-Meguiar`s consumer bar is white, the professional bars are blue (mild) and red (aggressive), just like Clay Magic`s.

Sean-just some minor build up on the tires, the product just looks thick to me.

Accumulator
12-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by superstring

..I have a quick question about #80. How would you rate its` ability to FILL fine swirls? Does its` effectiveness come from a COMBINATION of abrading (removing) and filling? Is it better at one or the other?

Slightly different opinion- I used #80 on Accumulatorette`s A8 (*hard* clear). Went over most of it twice, using the Cyclo. Looked pretty good. Then I went over it with an AIO-type product (Pinnacle`s discontinued Creme Glaze), which is nonabrasive. Quite a bit of the light marring "came back" after using the CG, and I could watch it happen panel by panel. My wife was able to clearly see it, whereas before (after just the #80), she couldn`t without *really* looking for it. Made me think that the #80 does a bit more filling than I`d expected. Perhaps "filling" isn`t exactly the right term, I suspect it`s a "hiding" property of the "Meguiar`s Trade Secret Oils" and/or the polymer protection that #80 leaves behind.

Oh, and I`ve had it be too harsh for somewhat-fresh paint. Had to follow up with a *very* mild polish to remove micromarring (yeah, I`d broken down the #80 correctly). That`s unusual, though.

Note: the above is not intended as a slam at #80 let alone a :argue with previous posts ;) The #80 *did* remove/improve the marring too, and it actually worked pretty well for the amount of time I spent on it, considering how hard that Audi paint is to correct. To *really* fix it would probably require a lot of time with the rotary (which won`t be happening :D ). But the hiding might surprise somebody so I wanted to mention my experience.

Scottwax
12-27-2004, 05:40 PM
George-it has been my experience that #80 seems to work better with a PC than the Cyclo. I did get some very light marring with #80 and the Cyclo I don`t get with the PC. It may have been with the smaller pads they load up more quickly, I don`t know.

Yes, #80 does contain a lot of polishing oils, which is why it looks so wet.