PDA

View Full Version : Christmas/ Suggestions! :cool:

hftw Audi 6
12-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey guys well my christmas was greeeaaat to say the least i got many products as well as a porter cable 7424. I am just curious! I have the sonus pad kit, SSR1, SSR2.5 SG, AIO, etc. just to name a few. I have heard different things. I have heard to start with a heavier polish and work into the lighter on and i have heard just to use the lighter one, wut pad should i be using? wut way should it truly be done? :confused: :confused: :confused: Any help wuopld be greeaatly appriciated i hope to tackle my car tomorro (dec. 26th)

wash

clay

???? (Wut heard?????)

wax

seal

SilverLexus
12-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Kenny,

Welcome to the obsession! The first rule is similar to the doctor`s oath: first do no harm. This means starting with light polishes and gently move into more aggressive territory only as needed.

I would wash, clay, polish, and wax or seal then wax. It all depends on what condition your car is in.

Do you have any pics of the car`s finish?

hftw Audi 6
12-25-2004, 05:05 PM
absolutely idk if i kno how to post em though lol

hftw Audi 6
12-25-2004, 05:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/hftwaudi6/fshwdrrdhrhrththhhhhhhhhhh.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/hftwaudi6/hthththhhhhhhh.jpg

I have always detailed cars but i just started getting into the PC and machine polishing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/hftwaudi6/4.jpg

hftw Audi 6
12-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Anyone have anymore input on the subject?

Accumulator
12-26-2004, 05:44 PM
I have *not* used the PB`s/SSR polishes, but I have rather extensive experience with silver Audis. The clear on them is quite hard, so if you have any significant marring I`d go straight to the 2.5.

As a "for instance", I had some *very* light marring on the trunklid of my S8 from where I touched it with a soft piece of cotton (as I said, *very* minor, most people could never see it). I fooled around seeing if mild products would fix it. Nope, I had to go to my 3M PI-III RC (similar, I believe, to your SSR 2.5) and then follow up with a milder product. Biggest trick was actually just *seeing* the problem, it was totally invisible under fluorescents and pretty much so under halogens. Incandescents made it jump right out at me. I used three grades of polish, all on speed six, and a lot of time, to remove this virtually invisible scratch. Hard clearcoat.

Check your work in different lighting conditions. I find high-wattage incandescents to be the best for spotting minor marring especially on silver. An old-fashioned trouble light with a strong bulb can be better than a fancy halogen! Move the light around and move yourself around too, so you hit everything from different illumination/viewing angles.

And don`t worry, there`s *no* need to be paranoid, or even really cautious, about using sensible products by PC on an Audi. You`re not dealing with a fragile paintjob ;) This is assuming factory paint. But even the repainted parts of ours (done with Spies Hecker paint) are tough.