PDA

View Full Version : DACP and Sonus pads for swirl removal and then AIO??

henny
12-25-2004, 09:35 AM
I want to remove average swirl marks from my `97 Black GTP. After reading tons of posts I`ve decided on ordering the following:

PC with 5" flexible plate

Sonus DAP pads (Orange and Green)

DACP

I plan to start with DACP + Green and go to Orange if the swirl marks aren`t being removed. I`ll start the PC at speed 1 and end at 5 and go horizontal, vertical, and diagonal.

I`m hoping I can go straight to AIO and then EX. (I plan to apply both by hand).

Is my approach OK. Is DACP too agressive?? Can I go from DACP/Green straight to AIO??

stevet
12-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by henny

Is my approach OK. Is DACP too agressive?? Can I go from DACP/Green straight to AIO??

DACP/ Green Sonus Pad (polishing Pad) might leave some hazing that will need a less abrasive polish to remove. I say might because sometimes you can get a ready to wax finish with DACP and a polishing pad. It depends on the paint and how you use DACP. Since your car is black I think you may need to follow up DACP/ polishing pad with something less aggressive. I have had good luck with AIO and a polishing pad removing compounding haze. You migth want to try applying AIO by PC and polishing pad instead of by hand.

imported_smprince1
12-25-2004, 10:33 AM
I think in principle your approach is sound, going from green to orange pad using the least agressive first principle. My guess, though, is that you will need to use the orange pad because a black `97 will most likely have sufficient swirling that the green pad won`t cut it enough or would take forever.

If you do use the orange pad and DACP, I think it would probably be best to follow with the green pad and DACP to remove any micro-marring caused by the orange pad which will be more visible on unforgiving black. Then, it should be possible to go to AIO on green pad (but use a different pad, or at least THOROUGHLY clean and dry the pad before switching products).

So, IMHO yes you can go to AIO from DACP/green pad but probably would be better not to go direct from DACP/orange pad.

a.k.a. Patrick
12-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Average swirl marks shouldnt be a problem, I would recommend however going with the yellow if green doesnt satisfy you, as opossed to orange. The orange pad is a different beast altogether....

AIO will clean up the DACP real nice, go with 2 app`s of EX a day apart and your good to go !!

imported_smprince1
12-25-2004, 10:41 AM
For the SONUS line, the Orange is the regular cutting pad and I think there is no Yellow.

I suppose you are thinking of the LC line???

stevet
12-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

I would recommend however going with the yellow if green doesnt satisfy you, as opossed to orange. The orange pad is a different beast altogether....

Please explain.