PDA

View Full Version : Dull marks on car - #66

kid_dynamite
12-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi,

First time caller, so go easy on me!

Friend offered to clean up my car for me. It had a fair amount of bugs on it from highway driving.

Anyway, he went over the front of the car with a `dry wash` spray and wiping the bugs off - I was a bit hesitant about this and offered to rinse my car down but he said not to worry.

He then put down some Meguiars #66, and started buffing with a cordless drill.

He`s done an average job, and now there`s a really weird finish on my car. The finish looks and feels rough, and there are some dull patches on my car.

At the moment I just use Megs Deep Crystal Carwash. I`m starting to take a real interest in making my car look good so I`m interested in fixing this up first!

Any tips on removing the marks would be appreciated! I`ll post some pictures up soon.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
12-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Uh-oh...my condolences....

stevet
12-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by kid_dynamite

He then put down some Meguiars #66, and started buffing with a cordless drill.

:scared:shocked

Alfisti
12-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi kid_dynamite...welcome to Autopia :welcome

Nice to see another Aussie onboard.

Sounds like your friend really scoured your paint. Some questions:

1) How much of your car was done with #66?

2) What colour is your paint? Age? Condition? What car?

2) What did he use at the end of the drill? What type of pad?

3) How much did he work the polish in?

4) Is he still your friend? :D

Don`t worry, its fixable...even by hand. If you provide as much detail as possible, that will assist us to give you more accurate solutions. :xyxthumbs

Pics are helpful.

stevet
12-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Alfisti

Don`t worry, its fixable...even by hand. If you provide as much detail as possible, that will assist us to give you more accurate solutions. :xyxthumbs

Not if his friend went through the clear coat. If it is through the clear coat than he is looking at a repaint.

gbackus
12-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Meg`s #66 is not all that agressive, what scares me though is the cordless drill. Did he also use wool? Also, the roughness could be from surface contaminants, so you`d need to clay. And the weird haze could be something I was experiencing when I was first learning to use the rotary and #66. Melted product attached to the paint. If that is in fact what it is, it should be easy to clean up with clay, an orbital buffer with a foam pad(preferably a pc), and another application of #66. I sure hope he didn`t go through the clear with that drill though. good luck.

Alfisti
12-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by stevet

Not if his friend went through the clear coat. If it is through the clear coat than he is looking at a repaint.

Of course, there`s that possibility. :scared

Lets hope not! :sosad

kid_dynamite
12-27-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Alfisti

Some questions:

1) How much of your car was done with #66?

2) What colour is your paint? Age? Condition? What car?

2) What did he use at the end of the drill? What type of pad?

3) How much did he work the polish in?

4) Is he still your friend? :D

Pics are helpful.

1) It was just the bonnet he did.

2) 1996 Nissan Skyline R33. Factory White, pretty good condition.

2(again :D) Umm not sure.. he put a soft pad on the end of the drill.

3) Wasn`t watching him all that much at the time but hestarted polishing it by hand, then went to the drill, then by hand again.

4) Yeah he`s like my cousin so I can`t really disown him..haha..

I`ll post some pictures tomorrow. Hopefully that`ll give more info.

Thanks for the replies all!

stevet
12-27-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by kid_dynamite

2) 1996 Nissan Skyline R33. Factory White, pretty good condition.

Nice car. If your friend did go through the clear at least that car is worth getting repainted.

kid_dynamite
12-28-2004, 06:24 AM
It`s night time now so I can`t take any decent photos. I`m pretty sure it`s like what gbackus said and it`s just product stuck to the paint. Because I went over the bonnet once with the Megs Deep Crystal Carwash it removed some of the dull patches out. I figure the ones that are left are the parts that have really melted in.

Does this make sense to anyone? If it`s clear outside tomorrow I`ll try and take some photos to show it a bit better.

Alfisti
12-28-2004, 06:30 AM
Where do you live?

kid_dynamite
12-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Sydney..

/edit & update: my digicam isn`t doing any justice to the car, so here`s how it stands.

- Washing it, I managed to remove a lot of the dull patches and it looks fine. Pretty sure it`s just #66 & the dry wash remaining.

- I`m sure washing and a bit of elbow grease will remove the rest. Anyone know of anything that will remove it?

- Although there is a section of the bonnet that feels rough to the touch and there are some small `dots` I can see in the paint. Not sure what this is, I still think this is melted product from the attempted buff. Can someone agree/disagree with this?

There`s so much info on these forums. Really impressed with how everyone takes pride in their rides!:xyxthumbs