PDA

View Full Version : Melting Snow/Ice Containment

zzyyzx
12-24-2004, 12:27 PM
So this is my first winter outside of Southern Cal for a long time. I`m now in Indiana. I have a heated garage, but there`s no floor drain. What I`m finding is happening now is when I pull into the garage, all the ice/snow/slush/etc. that freezes to the bottom of the car and the wheel wells melts and is creating large puddles. I stop before I pull in the garage and take a pry bar and knock off all the stuff I can, but there`s always some I can`t get. Plus, my wife won`t get out and do the same for her car so her side is pretty bad.

Does anyone know of any way to contain this mess? I was looking online as some of the spill containment mats, but I think those will be really expensive due to their specialization. I also thought about somehow securing some 1x1s on the floor and caulking around them, but I can`t think of a way to secure them that will be easily removable in the spring or that won`t permanently damage the floor.

Any thoughts/suggestions from those who have been through a winter before? Thanks!!!

holland_patrick
12-24-2004, 02:54 PM
I`m going to do the garage mat thing which will raise the floor up and have drains in the tiles..

Flexin
12-26-2004, 02:00 PM
The year I put my car in my heated garage I would just pull it in and leave it. In the morning when I was leaving for work the floor would be wet. I would kick any large chunks of snow or ice that didn`t melt yet out the door. When I came home that night it would be dry. :up Get a floor squeege. This will get rid of the water and allow it to dry faster.

James

imported_CincyDave
12-26-2004, 02:15 PM
In addition to Flexin`s suggestion, you could also add a high velocity fan to the equation. I do, and it helps the drying process considerably.

Brad B
12-27-2004, 06:13 AM
Consider taking a tarp and rolling 2x4`s on three sides of the tarp to give it structure and hold it in shape. Place this underneath the car beneath the wheels or even just beyond the wheels like a big diaper. (You can put a rubber outdoor mats where you step out of the car so you don`t get your feet wet.) The fourth end of the tarp should fold outside the garage door so the melted water can run out the door. Adjust the door so it doesn`t seal tight at that point so you don`t create a dam.

I did this for quite a few seasons before I had a heated garage with a drain and it worked great. It kept my painted floor clean and the sludge/snow/dirt contained. And it was cheap and temporary. :up

zzyyzx
12-27-2004, 07:02 AM
Brad, I think that`s the simple suggestion I was looking for... Thanks!!! I`m going to try to find that stuff and make it happen in the next few days. Thanks!!!

Brad B
12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by zzyyzx

Brad, I think that`s the simple suggestion I was looking for... Thanks!!! I`m going to try to find that stuff and make it happen in the next few days. Thanks!!!

:xyxthumbs Maybe you could take a pic when you get it done. Good luck!

Bobby G
12-27-2004, 09:54 AM
I remember seeing a garage floor mat for exactly this issue. I`ll see if I can find it again.

Flexin
12-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by DavidB

I remember seeing a garage floor mat for exactly this issue. I`ll see if I can find it again.

I seen the same thing but I can`t find it again.

James

kompressornsc
12-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Here you go, from Brookstone...

Clean Park (http://www.brookstone.com/shop/thumbnail.asp?world_code=4&category_code=43&subcategory_code=524&cmid=hdrdrop_4_43_524&search_type=subcategory&cm_re=Hdr*NAV*travel)

zzyyzx
12-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Very nice. There`s Brookstone in the mall nearby. I`ll go see if they have a sample there and if I can save shipping by getting it from there. Thanks for your help everyone!!!

wifehatescar
01-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Does anyone else but me think this would also let you wash your car in the garage by having the end nearest to the garage door open so the water flows out the door?!?!?

shaw
01-01-2005, 07:10 PM
A very nice mat indeed! The mat looks as good as some kitchen floors.:D

It would matter -no pun intended- what the temp is for washing. Water out the door may ice up quickly in freezing temps. The side edge / molding height will play a factor as well. A QEW is a definite option.

Don`t forget your vinyl protectant for the mat.:lol

Peter Crowl
01-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Hmmm...That Brookstone mat is the best value I`ve seen.

>>>EDIT>>> Spoke too soon. It`s the standard Park Smart Mat. A quick Google turned them up for less here...for one...

http://www.sparkleauto.com/park-smart-mats.html

but I still like the idea.<<<<<

Outstanding! I agree that with it in place one should be able to wash in the garage...at least as long as they`re judicious about how much water they use.

My only issue there is my garage faces north so water running out from under the door will freeze into a large and dangerous puddle.

Has anybody here tried using a Shop Vac to take up the water from the floor?

Peter...exploring new ways..in Denver