PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Wax Compound

Brady
12-23-2004, 08:27 PM
I tried the search but had no luck.

Anyone know anything about Turtle Wax polishing compound? I have a can sitting on my self in the garage. It`s a fairly aggressive compound that I used once to get a few scratches out of my old Cherokee bumper. Worked pretty well but was wondering if it`s too aggressive o use on, say, a hood?

JasonD
12-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Think of it as liquid sandpaper.......don`t use it.

Brady
12-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Hey - I was just checking out your gallery and your 97 Explorer CC Failure Pre-Detail photo looks a lot like my Subi problem. What did you use?

By the way, would using the Turtle Wax be more aggressive than wet sanding? I did use it on a could bad scratches in the Rubicon`s hood and it etched it pretty good. You can still see some swirls from it but I have managed to polish most of them out.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 08:55 PM
My most aggressive polish of choice is 3M PI II RC, but that will soon change to 3M PI III RC when I run out. I used the RC (don`t confuse this with the rubbing compound you have, it isn`t anywhere near as aggressive) with a yellow cutting pad on my PC and spent about 30 minutes compounding that hood and another hour on the rest of the car. After compounding, I started polishing with 1Z PP and then moved to VM and topped it with EX. If you don`t know what these acronyms are you can check them out in the secret decoder ring section (upper left hand corner).

I wouldn`t say the TW is more aggressive than wetsanding but it can be just as damaging. You want something that is going to preserve the finish not damage it. The products I used will probably take longer to achieve the end result but will keep the integrity of the finish intact.

Brady
12-23-2004, 09:04 PM
How does the 1Z Ultra compare to the 3M products? Hopefully they`re comparable because that`s what I just ordered and am hoping that will do the trick. I have the 1Z PP but not sure what VM and EX stands for?

By the wayâ€Â¦thanks for your follow-up. You`ve been a good source of information for me.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Just like 3M is my favorite compound, 1Z is my favorite polishes. 1Z UPP is comparable to the PI III RC. PI III MG is somewhere between 1Z PP and 1Z MP.

The only difference is that I find the 3M products produce results a little faster than the 1Z products, but the end result is pretty much the same. 1Z is very user friendly and does a great job, you won`t be disappointed.

VM = Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose

EX = Poorboy`s EX Sealant

These two products are a great combo to follow 1Z polishes with and are extremely easy to work with.