PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Polishers

Pages : [1] 2

Web Docta
12-23-2004, 07:11 PM
I`m looking into getting an orbital polisher. I bought a cheap Sears polisher which I promptly returned because it wouldn`t take the wax completely off :doh

What are you using and where`s the best place to purchase it?

White95Max
12-23-2004, 07:13 PM
The PC 7424. They are available at the Autopia Store, among others.

You can also buy kits here that include pads, backing plate, etc...

JasonD
12-23-2004, 07:17 PM
First, welcome to the board. New members are always welcome!

Good job on returning that Sears buffer, j/k. The polisher most of us use is the Porter Cable 7424 and 7336. They are both the same, Lowes sells the 7336 and all of the online dealers sell the 7424. The only difference is the counterweight but you don`t really need to worry about that.

The difference between a polisher like this and the Sears unit you had is the PC can actually polish imperfections away whereas the Sears unit isn`t good for anything more than wax removal and you said yourself that it wasn`t all the good at that.

Most *removal* will be done by hand, but all polishing efforts come out better if done by machine and a foam pad.

Most of the supporting websites sell Porter Cable 7424`s just look in the Detailing and Car Care Supplies Web Link and go shopping.

I highly suggest downloading the Autopia Guide To Detailing before buying anything just so you have a better understanding of what you will need. There is also a host of info to learn from if you click on the Learn button at the top of the page.

Web Docta
12-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Wow, you guys are fast.

Jason, I was looking at the Porter Cable in Lowe`s this afternoon...It was about $100. I may treat myself for Christmas. :D

I`ve got a Black `87 Porsche 944S that I`m presently working on and it`s got some swirls in it. Hopefully I can get them out with the polisher in time for a March show that I`m planning on going to.

I was also looking at the Zaino products because I saw a car the other day that was detailed using three coat of Zaino and it looked incredible.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 07:29 PM
The PC at Lowe`s would be the one. It`s a 7336 and in order to use it correctly you are going to need to buy a set of pads and a backinplate for it.

Zaino is very good and is highly respected, but remember that your initial polishing lays the groundwork for your protectants so it`s not as easy as just slapping on a few coats of Zaino to make it look good. You are going to have to polish your finish to a fine work of art before sealing it up and showing it off. We will try to help you every step of the way.

Web Docta
12-23-2004, 07:52 PM
I found a PC 7424 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004SUQ8/104-2780544-1889555?v=glance) for $114. The one at Lowe`s was about $99, that must be the one without the counterweight. Should I go for the one at Amazon for the extra $14.00?

Also, I registered & downloaded the detailing guide but I need to cofirm my subscription to view parts of the guide. Where do I go to enter the link that I received. It is a non-working URL?

See below:

/box.php?p=21&e=peter@XXXXXX.com&funcml=csub&nl=16

JasonD
12-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Both PC`s have counterweights. The difference is the 7424 comes with a 5" counterweight designed for 5" backingplates and the 7336 comes with a 6" version of the same thing. You will actually do better getting the 6" counterweight because it can work with pretty much anything vs. the 5" weight and have to buy the 6" weight later ($5.00 or so)

You received the link after registering through the Ebook?

Web Docta
12-23-2004, 07:58 PM
I registered AFTER I downloaded it.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 08:03 PM
That`s correct. You should have been able to use the link to complete the registration. If not, unsubscribe and then subscribe again to receive the email again. You actually want to use the link in your web browser to complete the registration process.

Web Docta
12-23-2004, 08:47 PM
That`s not working, I`m going to have to ask David to email a password for the Ebook. I can`t access chapters 7 and up.

I`m going to pick up the 6" PC 7336 (http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=51472-000041735-7336) at Lowe`s tomorrow for $99.97.

Thanks for all the advice. :wavey

xjdmb16a2six
12-23-2004, 10:18 PM
lol your like 3 days too late... lowes had 20% off on power tools.. could have got the PC for 79.98.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh man, that sucks.

Web Docta
12-25-2004, 10:11 AM
OK, I picked up my PC7336 (Lowe`s $89.99 with 10% discount) now I need some help. I`m a newbie with detailing but extremly comfortable working with tools as I do all repairs on all my cars myself.

The first is my Black 1987 Porsche 944S. The previous owner did almost nothing in keeping it clean. I recently white compounded it by hand and cleaned it up so it`s presentable. I then used Turtle liquid black colored wax and it looks presentable but I want to get all the swirl marks out and really get it looking as good as I can.

The second is my wife`s White 1995 Saab 900S convertible. I`ve kept it clean but the finish is covered with these sort of water like spots all over the finish. I don`t know what these spots are but they are almost impossible to get out even with a white polishing compound. It`s almost like it`s imbedded in the paint but I`ve had the car since new and I can`t attribute it to anything other than possibly acid rain, hard water or enviormental factors.

I may also mention that the glass on all our cars has a similar water type stain. I actually took some white polishing compound on the winshield of my cargo van and worked it with some #0000 steel wool. It actually took the stains out of the glass and now the glass looks pretty clear.

I`ve seen Zaino products and I`d like to replicate the results on my cars but if there are products that are easier/less expensive to use, I`m open to suggestions. Also what kind of pads and supplies will I need for my projects?

P.S. - I`d like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Peter

Bill D
12-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Web Docta

I`ve seen Zaino products and I`d like to replicate the results on my cars but if there are products that are easier/less expensive to use, I`m open to suggestions. Also what kind of pads and supplies will I need for my projects?

Just keep in mind Zaino is strictly and purely a Last Step Product ( LSP). Zaino in particular will not remove or disguise paint defects. To get the best out of Zaino or other "pure" LSPs such as Klasse SG, you will need to compound/polish the paint the best you can to remove the paint defects. For a poorly maintained vehicle it can easily been a lengthy, involved and painstaking process perhaps even with a rotary followed up with the PC.

You will certainly need compounding, polishing and finishing pads. My three standards for each are Lake Country yellow, white and black pads. I`ve always had nothing but terrific results with them and I would recommend them to anyone from the complete novice to the most experienced detailer.

I`m a fan of Menzerna polishes as well as the 3m Perfect It III line. There are also plenty of outstanding choices from other brands such as Meguiars, Poorboys, etc, etc.

Definitely take some time to research these brands, pick a line or a few and try them out. I`m confident you will have fun. Let us know how you make out.

Scottwax
12-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Peter-you will need to use overspray/detailing clay to get the imbedded spots out of your wife`s Saab. Just so a search of `detailing clay` in the detailing or autopia university forums for more information.

I would suggest getting some better buffing pads. Meguiars, Sonus, Lake Country, etc all have good pads.

If you want something easy, durable and looks good, I`d suggest Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze as your polish/swirl remover, Klasse AIO, Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose or Poorboy`s Polish w/carnauba as your glaze and Meguiars #16 Paste for a carnauba last step product.