PDA

View Full Version : GOT cockpit WOOD What to use?

hd-nut
12-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I got some fake wood on the dash and around the shifter

of my i30. What do you use to polish this up? How about the plastic lens over the speedo that seems to scratch every time

you look at it. What are your favorites !!!

JasonD
12-23-2004, 07:07 PM
:welcome :usa

Plexus works great for me. :up

Raven
12-23-2004, 07:58 PM
JDookie, would Meg`s PlasticX ( think that`s the name) work on the plastic wood pieces as well or is Plexus a much better choice?

mtodde
12-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

:welcome :usa

Plexus works great for me. :up

Plexus is the best thing I`ve tried on the fake wood and it leaves some protection behind too. I found PlastX to be a bit too harsh for my fake wood.

stilez
12-23-2004, 08:07 PM
I use S+W to clean and gloss.

To remove light marring, scratching, a light plastic polish will work just fine. I like Meguiar`s Marine Polish (I think it`s #10 or #15). Work in with a terry applicator for extra bite, remove with an MF. Repeat if necessary.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by raven

JDookie, would Meg`s PlasticX ( think that`s the name) work on the plastic wood pieces as well or is Plexus a much better choice?

I believe PlastX is more for oxidation for heavy scratch removal vs. enhancement.

Another product I used to use on my tanning bed acrylics when I had my tanning salon was Novus Plastic Polish. This stuff is awesome on plastic. They have three grades #1, #2 and #3, with #3 being the strongest. It`s a lot like a three stage polish for paint but for plastic. #1 is a spray protectant and #2 and 3 are for repair. I find Plexus to be the best maintenance product but when it comes to repair, Novus is the way to go, IMO.

mtodde
12-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Good advice Jason. I learned the hard way that Novus # 2 was too harsh for my fake wood when trying to remove a scratch.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Yeah, that fake wood plastic is very soft and thin. It certainly doesn`t take much, that`s why I like the Plexus. Very mild, yet effective.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Something else to keep in mind, Todd, is if you use Novus with a foam pad it isn`t as aggressive as with a terry towel or applicator. Which did you try to use?

mtodde
12-23-2004, 08:41 PM
a microfiber towel....#1 was fine but the scratch was still there. I should have tested it in an inconspicuous area first. Fortunately I was able to correct the damage after 10 or so applications of Plexus.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Wow, that`s some soft stuff! At least you got it out, that`s all that matters. Live and learn, huh?

TW85 HHI
12-23-2004, 08:45 PM
I use AIO to clean and protect.

Have swirls in my fake wood trim that I want to remove and PlastX didn`t do a thing.