PDA

View Full Version : New to detailing, winter ?`s

AV6
12-23-2004, 04:08 PM
I live in MI so its freezing, snowing, and theres tons of salt on the roads. I should have done this before winter but I`ve just now got the detailing bug:D .

I have been reading the forums the past couple days and think I have the basic idea of detailing.

All I want to do right now is wash, clay, polish, and wax. For products I was thinking of getting one of the Zaino kits, some MF`s from pakshak, AIO, QEW, sheepskin wash mit, and any other things you guys recommend:bow .

To do this I have access to a wharehouse thats above 55F and can have running water through a hose to outside(freezing though). I can also get some water on the floor inside but not much. I was thinking that would be the best place to put on Zaino coats.

The second choice I have is my garage which I will soon be getting a heater for(not sure what temps to expect) and a brand new(not even open yet) DIY car wash thats 1/10 mile away. I`m not sure if it uses recycled water...

so now I call on the knowledge of the master detailers for their help. What would be the best way to achieve this with the above options and product choices?

this is for my 2004 Accord 6-speed in silver:)

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 04:13 PM
AIO and 2 coats of Meguiars #16 for now. Go nuts in the spring.

JasonD
12-23-2004, 04:22 PM
First, :welcome to the board. It`s great to see you.

On to business, I think Scott is right. If you are dealing with harsh winter conditions right now, I wouldn`t do anything but the best prodcut/s to protect it and worry about making it *pretty* when things start to warm up a bit. AIO will get the surface nice and clean and #16 is the most durable product you can probably buy and will be perfect for your conditions. With QEW you don`t need water, and isn`t really messy so you can do this inside your garage or warehouse.

holland_patrick
12-23-2004, 05:48 PM
collinite if you can get it... that will protect your ride..the best..

AV6
12-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

AIO and 2 coats of Meguiars #16 for now. Go nuts in the spring.

Thanks for the advice guys. That will save me a ton of money, atleast till things get warmer:p

so now I should wash, clay, AIO, #16?

I`ll do some more reading/searching to cut down on noob questions.

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 09:32 PM
AV6-you have the order correct. For the typical enthusiast, deep polishing in the spring and fall should take care of your car very nicely.