PDA

View Full Version : CLay?

q_tip98444
12-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Ok, I have a few questions about clay, not the process the actual clay

1. Do you use the whole bar or break it in half and use it half at a time? (this is what I have been doing)

2. Do you only use the clay on one car then get more? (this is what I have been doing)

3. What is the best lube to use? (I have been using Eagle One Wet QD)

Sorry guys, I know these are some really noob questions but I just recently started using clay more than just once per year and want to make sure I`m not doing anything wrong. :wavey

BookemDano
12-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Using half at a time is a good idea. Using it for only one car might overkill, but it`s not too bad. Regarding lube, just mix some car wash with water in a spray bottle. Try about a 20 to 1 ratio. That makes a great, cheap car wash.

Regards,

Dan.

q_tip98444
12-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks man, I`ll have to try the car wash idea. I only use it on one car cause I don`t want to scratch anything. Especially my dad`s bosses 7-series.

a.k.a. Patrick
12-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Qtip, I would advise even breaking into smaller peices, you can usually get 4 healthy bars out of one. Only use what you need and no more, theres no sense in polluting the whole bar if your not using it. I usually get several jobs out of each section. Of course this is dependant on the fallout/dirt with each car, its picking up. As for lube`s, i normally clay just prior to rinsing while theres still suds on the surface, or during rinsing, with clean water. That can be a little tricky because thers really no slip agent acting as lube, only water...............Too much lube, and you end up sliding over what needs to be removed, too little and you end up leaving clay matter on the surface. Make sure you clay while surface is cool, and preferably out of sun. It takes a little practice to get a method down, but you`ll be up and running <smooth> in no time at all, Happy Holidays !

JaredPointer
12-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Break it up into smaller pieces, then when you use one piece, if it makes you feel better you could toss only that one piece. That might save you some money/clay in the long run. You might also want to try claying during the washing step, as it might save you from having to purchase a lube.

kompressornsc
12-23-2004, 09:10 AM
I agree about the small pieces. I normally go through 3 or 4 small pieces, perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of a bar total. This allows me to toss the pieces more frequently when they become contaminated, and is also nice becasue I invariably drop it. I look at it like using a towel-I`m less likely to cause a problem from contamination using four 16 x 16 towels for drying vs. 1 big towel.

For lube I like a cap full of car wash + water in a 16 oz. spray bottle.

mtodde
12-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Another vote for small pieces. Depending on the size of the bar I`ll go anywhere from 4-6 pieces. I dropped a whole bar once and was not happy!

My favorite lubes are the Sonus Glyde and Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe.

q_tip98444
12-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I just needed a little re-assuring before I used the peices more than once if possible. I`m always worrying about swirls and scratches.

petraidm
12-23-2004, 05:58 PM
I`ve always break the small bar into four pieces and use it typically only 1-2 times. To be honest I never thought about using it more than twice.

racepenut
12-27-2004, 01:30 AM
I break it into 3-4 pieces and remold it often. Make sure to flip it over freaquently as well. My first time claying I used too much lube and it didnt give as good of results as I now get using much less lube. Even straight water works good if you pay attention. I have been using mothers clay bar since its locally available but will be switching to clay magic on my next internet order.