PDA

View Full Version : rotary only detailers?

Carl Anderson
12-23-2004, 07:03 AM
I`ve noticed that some detailers almost exclusively use a rotary. For example, Sean uses the rotary only on many of the details he shares on

this forum. I also noticed that the professional detailer that originally helped me get started for the most part uses a rotary and rarely gets out the PC. Since I now have a rotary, and am starting to get the hang of using it, I would be interested in what advantages the rotary has for routine detailing. Is it a speed issue? Does it do a better job? I know it is more effective in getting out certain types of paint defects, but what other advantages does the rotary offer?

usdm
12-23-2004, 09:47 AM
All that you mentioned are the primary reasons for using the

rotary. But like anything else, how well it does its job depends

on how well the user does his or her job.

The PC will always have a place in my work. Because sometimes

it will handle tasks that a rotary cannot.

stilez
12-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Does a quicker job, but with more risk.

Using a rotary also arguably produces a better finish from those that are more battered due to it`s heavy polishing abilities.

In the end, it`s mainly quickness of cutting, and brilliance of shine. Many products will leave buffer marring when used via rotary, but I have found the Menzerna polishes, when used correctly, to leave a flawless finish...BTW: They are made EXCLUSIVELY for the rotary.

stilez
12-23-2004, 10:54 AM
usdm: Like what tasks? Just curious :)

6']['9
12-23-2004, 08:08 PM
sean: like applying some glazes i.e vm, 7, and sealants ex, exp etc....

416 Auto
12-23-2004, 10:07 PM
For me high speed means faster and better results. I have and sometimes use a PC but a high speed with the right pads and products is better for speed and finish. I went to shop a few months back and the owner of the shop was more of a products seller (but detailed on the side) and he used a PC with some SMR. It did take out the swirls (Nancy Webs) but left behind the moderate scratches. This guy charged $300.00 for and exterior polish. If it was my car I would not be happy.Anyways IMO the rotary is faster and can bring back the finish better than a PC, but I do use the PC to put on waxes and sealants.

Clinton

Mike_Phillips
12-23-2004, 10:41 PM
The direct drive rotating action of the rotary buffer offers both a cleaning action, (defect removal), and a polishing action that cannot be equaled or duplicated by an oscillating type polisher.

So depending on what your goal is,

Removing Orange Peel

http://meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2500_WetsandingToolBox1.jpg

the rotary may or may not be the right tool. In the cleaning step, depending on you pad material and your product of choice, it can either remove a lot of product real fast,

Removing sanding marks

http://meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2500_OEMProducts.jpg

Bringing the surface to a super high gloss simply by changing pad material and product choice.

http://meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2RotaryBufferPolishing.jpg

End-result

http://meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2toolbox4-med.jpg

My recommendation from the years I have behind the rotary buffer has always been to encourage people to learn on something that`s not important to them, (or anyone else), so that if you do make a mistake, nobody`s in trouble.

Mike

NavindraLR
12-23-2004, 11:00 PM
nice post mike.. im just curious, but what car is that in the background with the volks? :cool:

Carl Anderson
12-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the informative post Mike.

usdm
12-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

usdm: Like what tasks? Just curious :)

I should rephrase that to mean task that I am not ready to

handle with the rotary such as polishing chrome, glass,

bumper covers, etc. As much as I like using a rotary, I

also understand for myself that I am not quite at the level

some of you guys are, so I am not quite that daring, yet.

imported_Burlyq
12-28-2004, 12:48 AM
"In the end, it`s mainly quickness of cutting, and brilliance of shine. Many products will leave buffer marring when used via rotary, but I have found the Menzerna polishes, when used correctly, to leave a flawless finish...BTW: They are made EXCLUSIVELY for the rotary."

YUP.