PDA

View Full Version : NXT vs Yellow Wax - can`t tell the difference

KenSilver
12-23-2004, 03:20 AM
I conducted an informal but exacting Meguiar`s wax test today. On the hood of my perfectly shiny black Mercedes I sectioned off one half for my first ever try of NXT, and the other half for Hi-Tech Yellow Wax which I`ve been using for years.

I followed the instructions on both bottles to the letter. Applied them with separate foam yellow pads in shade, left them to haze, then wiped off with 2 microfibers. Then I stood back under the glare of my overhead fluorescents and searched the surface from every angle.

I couldn`t see any difference between the two waxes. Not one. If I was really picky I might have said that NXT was slightly streaky, but a few more goes with a MF and that solved that.

So why should I use one over the other if I`m not going to see any difference? Meguiar`s promised on their NXT bottle that this would outdo any other wax, and I would see a deeper, more glossy shine than any other. This hasn`t been the case. Is there some other advantage to using NXT that I have overlooked?

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

DCT
12-23-2004, 03:56 AM
I would apply two coats of NXT (24 hours apart) to one side of the hood, and two coats of #26 (24 hours apart) to the other side of the hood. Then, wait a couple of days........... wash or QD, and then judge the looks......... under various light conditions.

Not saying that you will see a difference, but I do. The NXT has a bit more of a "sealant" type look, whereas the #26 has a softer richer look.

audio1der
12-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by White_F150

Not saying that you will see a difference, but I do. The NXT has a bit more of a "sealant" type look, whereas the #26 has a softer richer look.

As an avid user of both, I agree wholeheartedly.

:wavey

imported_wblynch
12-23-2004, 09:20 AM
So which is better?

The sealant type look?

Or the softer richer look?

(the words, "softer richer", sound better)

the other pc
12-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by wblynch

So which is better?

The sealant type look?

Or the softer richer look?

(the words, "softer richer", sound better)

So which is better, brunette or redhead? :o

PC.

Scottwax
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
You may notice a slight advantage with NXT if you apply it via a PC and polishing pad. Durability seems similar to me. You may want to try using NXT and topping it with #26 and see what you think of that combination. #16 works very well over NXT, I imagine #26 would as well.

Rudamous
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Redhead, so much more exotic. Don`t see them everywhere. :cool:

KenSilver
12-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by White_F150

I would apply two coats of NXT (24 hours apart) to one side of the hood, and two coats of #26 (24 hours apart) to the other side of the hood. Then, wait a couple of days........... wash or QD, and then judge the looks......... under various light conditions.

OK, worth a go.

In my search for the best look on black, my description would be "wet" and "sharp." I want it to look like I turned the sharpness and contrast way up on Photoshop.

So far I`m not quite getting it, but every so often I come back to the car in a different setting - say, under a service station canopy - and it absolutely pops. I want that look all the time under all light conditions. I had hoped NXT would give that.

So, if not, then what?

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

KenSilver
12-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

You may notice a slight advantage with NXT if you apply it via a PC and polishing pad. Durability seems similar to me. You may want to try using NXT and topping it with #26 and see what you think of that combination. #16 works very well over NXT, I imagine #26 would as well.

Thanks Scott, that`s a couple of ways I`ll try.

Ken Silver

--------------

Mike_Phillips
12-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi Ken,

Like someone else posted, apply a second coat of each before inspecting. Two thin coats insure uniform coverage and an uniform appearance.

As for differences, the best test would be to look at the results by placing the sun directly onto the hood and then move yourself around so that you can see the sun on one half, and then the other half. When possible, always inspect all your results, (for any companies products), in two different types of light.

Like this,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2afterdemocar7-med.jpg

NXT tends to do a better job of eliminating fine swirls, especially in in bright light.

Mike