PDA

View Full Version : Heating the garage

rockford33
11-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Since I know a few of the people here use their garage regularly during the winter, I was wondering how you heat it? I have a small townhouse garage, just big enough to move around the car. I plan on doing some work under the hood on my weekend car, plus really giving it a good detailing to get rid of some of the clearcoat pits, etc. At the moment, I have a small fan/space heater. It just doesn`t cut it. Takes forever to warm up the garage, so last winter I actually never did anything out there because it was too cold. I have looked at the Redy Heat (?) at Home Depot (looks like a small jet engine), but I just don`t have enough room to stick it. I`m afraid I would bump it and burn my leg or worse, burn something on the car. Any thoughts? Also want something that I don`t have to worry if I tip it over (kerosene heaters, etc.). Thanks.

scottlee
11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
how about something like this
http://www.heatershop.com/7060_overhead_radiant_space_heater.html
good weather stripping around the doors is a good idea as well even if the door isnt insulated at least keep the wind from blowing in

rollman
11-10-2004, 08:01 PM
If you have a propane BBQ grill you could use the tank and porpane of course and get yourself a heater head that fits on it . Home Depot carries them .They look like the one in this link >>link (http://www.shopfnc.com/gasheater/allpro3.htm) They work pretty well for small places like your one car garage.

OI812
11-10-2004, 10:21 PM
I agree with rollman on the BBQ/propane thing. Unless your garage is insulated it will take some BTU`s to heat it up. What I would get (actually I own one) is a small portable forced air heater. Something in the 50,000 BTU range. Here is a link to one I am talking about click on me (http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=1&index=12&options.parentCategoryKey=133&infoParam.itemKey=30007803) I wouldn`t get much bigger then a 50,000 BTU heater because you burn the gas off to fast the tank will freeze up. If you can get a 100lb tank then you won`t have that problem. You can get those heaters also for kerosene, but I don`t recommend that since they are a dirty burning unit. Also have to contend with smell. You can buy clean kerosene, but it is really expensive. Good Luck

CharlesW
11-10-2004, 10:25 PM
If you use a combustion type heater whether it be kerosene or propane, remember that they burn up a lot of oxygen. You need to have some provision for ventilation.
I use a 90,000 BTU torpedo shaped heater like the one you saw at Home Depot. I fire it up, leave the passage door to my garage open about 6", let it heat the garage then turn it off and close the door. My garage is 24` x 33` so I have plenty of room for the heater.

Charles

OI812
11-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Gee, maybe thats why I get so goofey.

CharlesW
11-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Gee, maybe thats why I get so goofey.I doubt it. No oxygen doesn`t make you goofy, it makes you dead.

Charles

NYV6Coupe
11-11-2004, 12:13 AM
charles, you have a way with words :rolling

Bob
11-11-2004, 08:25 AM
http://www.heatershop.com/propane_forced_air_35_fac.html

I use one of those. I usually kick it on for a bit before I do any work out in the garage so it is not runnign while I am in there. My garage is small and heavily insulated so it does not take long to heat up and it stays heated for a long time. Usually if I am doing something that requires moving around I am more than comfy in a t-shirt and no coat.

rockford33
11-11-2004, 08:29 AM
I agree with rollman on the BBQ/propane thing. Unless your garage is insulated it will take some BTU`s to heat it up. What I would get (actually I own one) is a small portable forced air heater. Something in the 50,000 BTU range. Here is a link to one I am talking about click on me (http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=1&index=12&options.parentCategoryKey=133&infoParam.itemKey=30007803)

I think my garage is actually too small for the torpedo type heater. I have roughly 3 feet along the sides of the car (including shelfs along the wall, so about 2 feet to walk on one side), maybe a foot in the rear, and about 3-4 feet in the front of the car. An ex-girlfriend`s brother had a torpedo style and burnt his leg a little because he accidently walked in front of it. I do have a propane tank, but am kind of nervous about using it in an enclosed area, plus possibly tipping it over in the tight quarters of my garage. I like the ceiling mount suggestion, but wonder how well it will heat the garage. A friend of mine suggested a portable ceramic heater. He has a townhouse also and says it heats his garage up pretty good. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I think I need to make a run to Home Depot and check things out.

Bob
11-11-2004, 08:37 AM
I think my garage is actually too small for the torpedo type heater. I have roughly 3 feet along the sides of the car (including shelfs along the wall, so about 2 feet to walk on one side), maybe a foot in the rear, and about 3-4 feet in the front of the car. An ex-girlfriend`s brother had a torpedo style and burnt his leg a little because he accidently walked in front of it. I do have a propane tank, but am kind of nervous about using it in an enclosed area, plus possibly tipping it over in the tight quarters of my garage. I like the ceiling mount suggestion, but wonder how well it will heat the garage. A friend of mine suggested a portable ceramic heater. He has a townhouse also and says it heats his garage up pretty good. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I think I need to make a run to Home Depot and check things out.

Jsut kick it on for a while and then shut it off when you are ready to work...it`s what I do.

rockford33
11-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Jsut kick it on for a while and then shut it off when you are ready to work...it`s what I do.

It doesn`t melt any paint off of your car if it is only 2-3 feet away? :hot I guess I could aim it down the side of the garage. I`ll have to check one out at HD. Thanks.

CharlesW
11-11-2004, 09:22 AM
It doesn`t melt any paint off of your car if it is only 2-3 feet away? I guess I could aim it down the side of the garage. I`ll have to check one out at HD. Thanks.
It could damage paint if you were to have it blowwing directly on the vehicle, but by doing what you said about aiming it down the side of the garage, you should be fine. Keep in mind that you don`t need to heat the area to 70 dgrees. Anything in the 50 to 60 degree range will work for most products. At those temperatures, you probably will have to wait a little longer for them to dry.

Charles

Bob
11-11-2004, 10:24 AM
It could damage paint if you were to have it blowwing directly on the vehicle, but by doing what you said about aiming it down the side of the garage, you should be fine. Keep in mind that you don`t need to heat the area to 70 dgrees. Anything in the 50 to 60 degree range will work for most products. At those temperatures, you probably will have to wait a little longer for them to dry.

Charles

Yes, it gets so hot it could melt a bumper easy. Don`t aim it at the car!