PDA

View Full Version : Caddy had new paint technology for 95/what changed?

imported_Speedy
12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
I did a little research on my 1995 STS, as I could recall that Cadillac introduced a new type of paint techique that year...but I knew nothing further.

I came across a blurb that said,

"And for 1995, new waterborne paint technology provides an even more lustrous finish."

So what gives? Does anyone have any idea why this new technology gave such a "lustrous" finish?

I like the thought of my car having "new and improved" paint on it (well, ten year old new and improved), but how great can it be? Or was it just Cadillacs marketing people at the time hyping something up?

Does my car really have special paint on it, or do I have nothing to get excited about?

Any ideas?

Here she is too...

Wicho
12-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Nice to see another caddy owner around here. I have a 97 Deville. I can`t really tell you about the "spcial" paint but if no one here can answer your question you might want to take it to a cadillac forum. I am a member of cadillacforums.com and they have VERY knowledgeable people. There is one member who was a designer and/or engineer for the northstar, he can answer anything relating to the engine. Hope you find your answer.

imported_Speedy
12-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks Wicho!

I feel the same...us Caddy owners are rare in these here parts!

I call the Caddyinfo.com forum my home, and I believe the engineer you are refering to is Bbobinski?

You are right, he is an incredibly knowledgable man, and a great "inside" resource.

I`ll try posting there aswell.

Andrew ACR 2
12-22-2004, 12:28 AM
I believe that they just replace the solvents with water as most car factories use today because of the EPA.

jock82
12-22-2004, 06:03 AM
I am a Caddy owner, 94 black Concours and white 89 de Ville, I am also a member of the Cadillac forums

togwt
12-23-2004, 06:22 AM
Water-Borne Paint Finishes:

In the past twenty years, environmental and occupational safety concerns have put great pressure on the oil-based coatings industry. Many industries have seen the migration of coatings toward water-based formulations.

These changes moved approximately 20% world`s automotive industry to water borne coating by 1999, since this change there has been a lot of talk about the durability of these automotive paints.

However, water borne paints have some drawbacks:

First-Water borne paints are softer than acrylic oil based paints. The quick forced dry process using higher curing temperatures causes the paint to dry fast, but not as hard. As a result, these paints scratch more easily.

Second- Water borne paints also have difficulties with increased orange peal and production line runs and sags. The increased orange peal causes a reduction in overall smoothness and gloss.

Third- Water borne paints are also more porous than conventional acrylic finishes. This accelerates a process known as drift. Drift is the process of waxes and sealants soaking into the pores of the finish.

Because the finish of a painted surface looks similar to the surface of the moon, peaks and valleys etc., as sealants heat and cool, they soak into the finish.Drift occurs in every known finish, however the water borne paint allows this process to occur much more rapidly, in some cases, even as short as a two week period of time.

As drift occurs, the paint is left susceptible to the outdoor elements. This leads the paint to loose gloss and be susceptible to water spots, acid rain. Industrial fallout and many other forms of foreign particles

Maintaining -water borne finishes isn`t dramatically different than caring for a conventional paint finish.