PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Paint Swirled

vosteven
12-21-2004, 12:54 PM
I just got my car back from the body shop about 1 week ago. The area where they painted has a lot of swirls they didnt do a good job buffing. I was wondering would it be safe for me to use #83 DACP on it? Or should I just use #80 Speed Glaze. What kind of swirls can #80 tackle (light, moderate, heavy). Pictures of examples would be nice. Thank you.

Michaelelts
12-21-2004, 02:12 PM
you need to wait till the paint cures. By that I mean there is a certain amount of VOC in the paint and they need to evaporate before any barrier goes on or the paint can `pop` which is micromarring or small bubbles form in the paint. Wait a month before doing anything

raymond_ho2002
12-21-2004, 02:15 PM
I think the #80+ series are bodyshop safe?

Accumulator
12-21-2004, 03:07 PM
I`ve polished fresh paint many times, and the shops I patronize have often polished it (perhaps even wetsanded it) before that.

The important thing is to only use "bodyshop safe" products that won`t interfere with the outgassing/curing.

As far as I know, Meg`s "80s series" polishes are all bodyshop safe. I also use 3M`s PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937) on fresh paint, as well as Menzerna.

If using Megiuar`s stuff, I`d generally stick with #80 (instead of trying the #83), as fresh paint is softer than usual (gets harder as it cures). Even #80 will sometime (micro)mar fresh paint, requiring a follow-up with a milder polish. Had that happen just this last autumn.

No pics, but #80 will usually remove light to moderate marring. It would be an OK product to start with in your situation- what you`re dealing with is pretty much what #80 was designed for. But just to be safe, I`d try a small spot (before doing an entire panel) in case the paint is *very* soft.

vosteven
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Thank you for your post. I think I will go with the #80. I asked the body shop if I can buff out the swirls myself and they were like why we used a "swirl free" pad already. Blah. I don`t know how a body shop can do so bad, a factory Toyota one in fact. Sucks. Oh well.

fertzguy
12-22-2004, 09:51 AM
einszet make a great line of polishes

Accumulator
12-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by fertzguy

einszet make a great line of polishes

Yeah, but most of the 1Z polishes that we talk about here contain waxes (not good for fresh paint). They *do* make a bodyshop-safe line but those products are hard to find.