PDA

View Full Version : Etching on rims

Dylansdad
12-21-2004, 05:43 AM
I have to detail a Honda Accord Ex that has factory alloys on it. The rims appear cloudy, I assume etching from cleaners, etc from previous people cleaning. Is there any way to correct this and make them presentable?

DETAILKING
12-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Are the rims painted and clearcoated? Does the etching have a texture or is it just "faded" spots?

Dylansdad
12-21-2004, 01:08 PM
They are a polished aluminum factory rim, clearcoated, appear to be cloudy, but nothing I feel ........:confused:

DETAILKING
12-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Hard to tell without seeing them....any pics? The clearcoat could of been permeated and discolored or perhaps you have some contaminant residue on the surface? I would start by cleaning them very good with a clearcoat safe wheel cleaner. Inspect.....

The next step I would take would be a MILD polish like mothers clear coat wheel polish on the spots directly to be sure there is no surface residue present.

If you can`t get the spots out.......clean them up the best you can and wax them. Then use a HIGH GLOSS tire treatment. The DARK / BRIGHT contrast of the tires on the wheels will draw attention away from the blemmishes....try it!