PDA

View Full Version : Can it be helped?

Pages : [1] 2

boatmangc
12-21-2004, 05:18 AM
I bought this car last Feb. Love the car, hate the paint. It had a SOS pad detail in a past life. I gave it the Zainos treatment. (clay bar, Z5 Z2 lots of Z6 in between, I thought it was OK. Last month someone oversprayed it and I had to clay it again. When I got the overspray off and saw what I covered a year ago I flipped. I have never used a machine polisher and I am scared of finishing off an already badly damaged paint job. I discovered Autopia a few weeks ago, and although untrained I am one of you, :bow

My idea of a perfect weekend is when at the end both of my cars are picture worthy.

Here are a few pics. What do you guys think?

[http://markviii.org/~boatmangc/hood1

[http://markviii.org/~boatmangc/hood2]

www.markviii.org/~boatmangc/palmcar]

togwt
12-21-2004, 07:35 AM
:welcome to Autopia boatmangc

I think if you download the e-detailing guide by DavidB (free download on this site) you could find yourself with a new hobby (be warned its obsessive...but great fun)

JonM

BookemDano
12-21-2004, 07:51 AM
I get great results with Zaino products and Z5 will cover up some very minor marring. But it won`t cover up that much damage. (What did they use to detail, a belt sander?!?)

My suggestion... Go to a local Lowe`s and buy a Porter Cable 7336 (a PC). Then get a good pad kit. Autopia offers them, they are quality vendor and they offer discounts to the group. However, my pad of choice is the Lake Country Constant Pressure pad from Proper Auto Care (also called, "CMA"). Here`s a good kit for a newbie:

http://www.properautocare.com/hipadkitwive.html

You also might want a yellow pad, given the amount of marring:

http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html (at the bottom of the page.)

I like and use Menzerna IP and FPII polishes. Pretty easy and safe to use. Here`s a get-aquainted kit:

http://www.properautocare.com/mengetackit.html

Given the condition, start with IP and a white pad. If that doesn`t cut it, try IP with the orange, then the yellow pad. Finish off with FPII and a white pad.

You can use the red pad to apply Z5 or Z2. I get great results that way. Make sure that you wash out the red pad carefully when you switch from one to the other. I.e., don`t use the pad for both without cleaning it.

Good luck,

Dan.

Accumulator
12-21-2004, 11:58 AM
boatmangc- Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, study up and get a PC (or a Cyclo). You won`t make things worse, you`ll just get better results in less time.

imported_BretFraz
12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Another option is to have the car or hood polished by a pro detailer then maintained by you. That kind of damage will be VERY difficult to repair by hand. I`ve detailed cars "polished" with Brillo pads and its not an easy thing to fix. So maybe consider hiring someone to do the hard work for you then you take care of the rest.

:welcome to Autopia

fertzguy
12-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Another option is to have the car or hood polished by a pro detailer then maintained by you. That kind of damage will be VERY difficult to repair by hand. I`ve detailed cars "polished" with Brillo pads and its not an easy thing to fix. So maybe consider hiring someone to do the hard work for you then you take care of the rest.

:welcome to Autopia

good advice

boatmangc
12-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Thats what Im talkin about... I don`t want to learn on this car its kind of a pet. hmmm, maybe on the wifes Element.

I live in the Florida Keys, a little south of Mayberry. I wouldn`t let any of the detailers down here even wash my car. I looked in the links here hoping to find somebody in Miami or Orlando. Do you guys give referrals? I would much rather pay to get someone to do it and then maintain it myself. I would love lessons with the PC.

Thanks for the welcomes, it`s good to be here, maybe somebody understands me after all.

boatmangc
01-11-2005, 06:15 PM
OK I ordered the PC and the deluxe pad kit, mf towels and the menzerna stuff. I got no bites on a detailer in my area so I`m on my own. I downloaded the e detailing guide but it didn`t work, I`ll download it again. I`ll get my before pics ready. Wish me luck.

the other pc
01-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Start out carefully. Always use the least aggressive product first and step it up till it works, a little area at a time.

Keep checking in on your progress.

Good luck!

PC.

Ben Z.
01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

Start out carefully. Always use the least aggressive product first and step it up till it works, a little area at a time.

Keep checking in on your progress.

Good luck!

PC.

Generally good advice, but in this case I think it`s safe to assume that he would just be wasting time using his milder products.

JeffM
01-11-2005, 07:32 PM
I have only had my PC for a month. I have already done 3 cars with 2 step polish jobs. Pretty easy, time comsuming, but easy.

I did tape off body lines though, when i was using 3m pi 2 rc. Ya just cant be too carefull lol. I have only had 1 month of training.

A nice loud radio helps :)

saling4
01-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I didn`t read (sorry) the detailing guide, but be aware you might have to work the same area more than once to get it right. Take your time and enjoy!!:xyxthumbs

holland_patrick
01-11-2005, 08:51 PM
bill d lives in flordia now maybe he could help you out if you take a road trip he is excellent

DSVWGLI
01-11-2005, 10:03 PM
:wavey Welcome but be warned, once you start there`s no going back;)

boatmangc
01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Where can I find Bill D?

If you look at my hood pics, I`m already at the polish or paint it step.