PDA

View Full Version : Viking MF very good choice

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Burlyq
12-21-2004, 01:46 AM
I`ve recently got into a discusion about what to use to dry a car, chamois, absorber, or MF. I`ve been using the first two and I`ve been using my MF`s for all my other tasks. We`ll so many peps where raving so i decided to try another brand. I checked my goody drawer and I have 5 brands of MF. Cheap ones from Cosco and Rightlook, and if you had to pick between these two definitly get rightlook.

Anyhow, I also 3 other brands and they are all the non`linting expensive ones but they aren`t that much better than the cheap ones, and they are 5 to 10 times more money. I ordered the Viking and it is my favorite to date. It`s plush, absorbes very good, no lint, and perfect size (for me, I don`t like the huge ones). It has very nice edges that are designed to last. I still use chamois and absorber for drying, but I`ll probably use Viking MF too, depending on my mood. IMO one of these Vikings is worth more than the 16 package at costo. If your looking for a good MF give it a try.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-988400.html

Pondscum
12-21-2004, 02:37 AM
I use different types of MF for different chores. I have MF from at least 10 different sources. I have waffle weave, high density, low density, high nap, low nap, no nap, you name it. Some were costly, some were cheaper. When I`m quick detailing or drying, I tend to reach for the green ones I got from Winner`s Circle. I don`t know why I like these the best. It`s hard to quantify, but I just like them better. I guess they just strike a good balance between many MF aspects and they are excellent quality. On my last order from Winner`s Circle, I also ordered one of the glass cleaning towels he had for a $. I`ve only used it once so far, so the jury is still out, but it`s definitely different than any other glass towel I`ve used. It`s not MF as far as I can tell. It`s not soft and is more canvas-like. It glides across the glass and seems to have excellent scrubbing power, although I haven`t used it on really dirty glass yet.

I don`t particularly like towels larger than 16x16. It`s just my personal preference. When I`m drying, I can wring out a 16x16 and get plenty of use out of one, and I have lots of them so I can always reach for another if I need it. The 16x16 are easier to fold and manage. The Costco ones run a close second for drying. I kind of like the ones from Costco. They have a higher fiber density than just about any other MF I`ve seen, so they will retain more water than most. They are also cheap enough that I can regulate some of them to things like wheels, tires, and trim that I would not use a more expensive towel on.

imported_Burlyq
12-21-2004, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I should clarify I do like the costo ones too, but they leave lint trails on my windows so I only use them on painted surfaces, where the cheap ones from Rightlook dont lint hardly at all and are very similar in feel. Both are cheap and you don`t care if you get them all messed up. But Viking is perfect for me because it is still small (slighly bigger than costco) but can handle a lot of work. You can do all you windows in and out and it would just start to be getting damp. Bottom line is having a lot of cheap ones and a couple good ones like Viking would be beneficial for someone who does a lot of detailing like me. But if you just detail your own cars I would just get maybe two Vikings, it would be all you need.

To follow up on Patrick`s comment, I ordered from RL and they sent me a sample of the new blue ones not purple, I`m not sure if that`s the same one you got. I liked it so much I bought a bunch and they were only about 99 cents each, but those were still no-where near the quality of my Viking. I`m trying to find a place where I can get a discount on 10 or more Vikings, Autopiacarcare is a pretty good deal because they are on sale plus I think you get an additional 15% off so I probably get them here. Funny, I`ll spend hours online to get the best deal on detailing products but when it comes to store shopping I just walk in and buy something quick so I can get the heck out of there.

a.k.a. Patrick
12-21-2004, 06:18 AM
I had purchased some purple ones from RL last yr sometime and dicovered they were a little on the thin side. They would actually leave a corduroy trail upon product removal. I still use them in one hand, but follow up with another favored towel in the other hand, so they get used for the dirtier portions, of my product removal stage.

Wasatch
12-21-2004, 07:21 AM
I like the ExcelDetail Blue WW, Elite Hemmed Edge, and the Supreme these are excellent MFs for all uses. WCDs green plush MFs are also an excellent towel for QDing and interior work.

Scottwax
12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Are you talking about the hemless orange MFs they sell at AutoZone? If you are, I agree. They are very nice towels. Especially good for QEW washing and windows.

stevet
12-22-2004, 02:18 AM
I have two different types of Viking MF. I have the 16 x16 gold edgeless and the 16 x 24 very plush blue one that Viking markets as a drying towel. I purchased both at Autozone.

The gold edgeless one is very good for buffing off difficult to remove products. It has a lot of bite to it. It`s also great on glass. Low nap no lint.

The 16 x 24 blue drying towel is an excellent towel but not for drying in my opinion. This towel is very plush and soft and has a nice silk microfiber border. It`s excellent for QD and final buffing. I have no idea why Viking markets this as a drying towel because it`s very similar to my other MF that I use for QD and final buff. It`s not Waffle Weave and IMO nothing beats WW MF for drying a car. This towel is the best quality MF I have seen available in a store.

Burlyq, give a Waffle Weave MF a try for drying your car. I seriously doubt you will go back to a chamois, absorber, or anything else again. They are the best way to dry IMO:xyxthumbs

BigAl3
03-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by stevet

The 16 x 24 blue drying towel is an excellent towel but not for drying in my opinion. This towel is very plush and soft and has a nice silk microfiber border. It`s excellent for QD and final buffing. I have no idea why Viking markets this as a drying towel because it`s very similar to my other MF that I use for QD and final buff. It`s not Waffle Weave and IMO nothing beats WW MF for drying a car. This towel is the best quality MF I have seen available in a store

i actually prefer this over my ww (for drying), because it`s softer (not to mention there are two different sides, one plush other is fine) and not too big. this towel works perfect (depending on the size of your car, mine is small; fold it in quarters and dry, works perfect!) and as i mentioned before.... it`s the best microfiber towel i own (have several different ones, this is top notch quality!) whether it be available in a store or not. :xyxthumbs

imported_dpeezy415
03-28-2005, 02:53 AM
I agree with imacarnut, my Viking 16x24 is the most used MF that I have, and it is GREAT for drying. I`ve got PakShak, Adam`s, 4* (WWs too), Cobra, Walmart and Excel Detail ones, but the Viking seems to do a killer job and holds A LOT of water.

Unlike my WWs, I can wring the Viking and it still dries well. It is the perfect size and I bought it locally. I wasn`t cheap, same price as quality MFs of the same size, bt if I happened to run across another one I`d pick it up in a heart beat.

SilverLexus
03-28-2005, 08:56 AM
I have tried some less pricey MFs but I find often you do get more quality at the higher price points. You get better construction such as hemmed edges, finer threads, more plushness, etc. Two examples that come to mind are the PakShak Ultra Plush Plus and Ultra Fines and the Cobra Miracle Towel.

I`d rather spend a dollar or two more and get something that will last longer and be more effective.

Bill D
03-28-2005, 09:11 AM
I did get two Viking polishing cloths ( gold color, low nap) from Auto Zone at $5 and I find it tobe probably one of the best locally available mfs. Decent construction, peel off tags and most importantly, they don`t scratch for me. My black paint would indicate that right away.i use to wipe off polish residue. In a pinch, for something locally, I`d consider them.

SilverLexus
03-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Burlyq, give a Waffle Weave MF a try for drying your car. I seriously doubt you will go back to a chamois, absorber, or anything else again. They are the best way to dry IMO

I agree and you can find waffle weaves cheap. Patrick sells one in Bay White for $5.

I find they soak up water a bit better than plush drying towels but those work well also.

imported_NYV6Coupe
03-28-2005, 11:50 AM
The green MF`s from Winner`s Circle are surprisingly nice for the money but I prefer the plush blue Miracle towels from CMA or the Magic towels from AutoGeek. They appear to be the same towel (based on texture & appearance) and Poorboy`s Mega Plush towel is not far behind ... also very nice.

Adam`s gray WW towels are excellent & seem to be thicker than most other WW`s I`ve tried. I was going to buy a couple Big Blue II`s from CMA but a caught a good deal at Adam`s so the BB II`s from CMA (perhaps similar to PakShak`s) will have to wait.

SilverLexus
03-28-2005, 11:59 AM
For plush towels, Waynes and Poorboys are the same I believe and a great $5 value.

I have not tried the Adam`s WW yet.

BigAl3
03-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by dpeezy415

I`ve got PakShak, Adam`s, 4* (WWs too), Cobra, Walmart and Excel Detail ones, but the Viking seems to do a killer job and holds A LOT of water

agreed. this towel is just as good, if not better then pak shak, cobra, etc.... :up