PDA

View Full Version : New Car Ceramiclear Paint Detailing Suggestions

Chris 45971
12-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Hello everyone. First I would like to thank everyone here for all of the great information that I have acquired at this magnificent board.

I have an 05 SL 500 with ceramiclear brilliant silver paint. After extensive research, I have determined that I am going to go with the Menzerna product line for my car`s paint. I ordered the Menzerna Kit and it should be here later this week. Currently, my car is a month old and I am very happy with the appearance of the paint; but of course, I would like to make it look better.

My question is; what do the professionals here at Autopia think I should do given my above mentioned circumstance? Should I polish out the already existing exceptional shine, use the glaze, then FMJ or should I simply clean the the surface with a cleaning spray and apply the FMJ? I am concerned that if I polish, I might somehow "hurt" the ceramiclear paint or whatever Mercedes put on the car at the factory. I am anxiously awaiting the new ceramiclear products.

Currently, after very close inspection in various light, there are no imperfections that my eye can detect on the paint. The only thing that I can find wrong is "slight graininess" when I run my hand in a sandwich bag on the paint (contamination). There is not the slightest swirl or scatch.

I am new to this and would appriciate any information that the pros here can give.

Thanks to everyone who responds.

armoredsaint
12-20-2004, 06:47 PM
:showpics

detailbarn
12-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Welcome to Autopia Chris

Congrats on your new car , that`s a beautiful car! You made a good choice with the Menzerna their polishes are my staple product for all the german cars I detail. I would suggest giving the SL a good bath first and then clay the entire car. Being in NJ myself I can tell you there is quite a bit of fallout on the finish already. After you`ve done those two steps I would polish the car with Menzerna Final Polish and then apply two coats of FMJ , it will look stunning. Here is a picture of an Audi I detailed that has FMJ on it.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/4717audi-med.jpg

imported_Larry A
12-20-2004, 07:11 PM
If it was my car I would just wash , clay, Klasse AIO and than Klasse SG. Since as you say the paint is in great shape you may not need any more polishing.

bollar
12-20-2004, 08:43 PM
The ceramic paint is pretty durable. I agree with the advice above to start with a minimally invasive technique. My SL is a year old and is still looking good. You might want to check out this thread that I posted yesterday with the results of my latest job: http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48061

Bill D
12-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Menzerna as well as Autoint/Valugard make a polish specifically for Ceramiclear. I dont think Menzerna sells that specific polish retail but you could inquire at http://www.menzernausa.com . The Valugard stuff is called Cerious Polish

Scottwax
12-20-2004, 09:55 PM
I think Doug is right. A good wash and clay, then FP and the topper of your choice. The CC paint is pretty tough stuff, I have a customer with a black `04 S500 and like your car is spider swirl free. Now if I could get him to stop leaving it in the driveway and letting the sprinklers hit it.....

Chris 45971
12-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks again for all of the advice. I will be doing the detail this weekend. I`ll let everyone know how it turns out when I am done

Scottwax
12-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Chris 45971

Thanks again for all of the advice. I will be doing the detail this weekend. I`ll let everyone know how it turns out when I am done

In addition, let us know about every 6 months how the paint is holding up scratch, scuff, spiders swirl-wise.

Chris 45971
12-25-2004, 03:37 AM
I have decided to simply wash the car, QD it and then FMJ it. I am concerned with removing/disturbing paint that is already visually spectacular. Shortly after I see blemmishes/scratches, I will do the entire thing (Menzerna Final Polish II, the Final Touch Glaze then FMJ). Who knows, they might have special polish for Ceramiclear by that time.

Yesterday, I washed the car with Menzerna`s wash, dried it real good and used Mother`s QD spray (CA Gold Showtime). Right now, the car looks better than when I took delivery on it 5-weeks ago. This morning, I am going to apply the FMJ. I am very excited to see how that car will look when I am finished.

I plan on layering the FMJ using the same process that I mentioned above. However, I was thinking about using Zaino`s Z-6 after the wash instead of Mother`s Showtime. Everything I read on Z-6 says that it is great for use on top of other Zaino products. Has anyone here used Z-6 on top of FMJ? Can it be harmful? I`d like to know before I go pick some up (there is a Zaino shop 10 minutes down the road from me in Howell, NJ).

As it stands now the whole car is beautiful. However, there is a 2 foot by 3 inch spot on the driver`s side door that continues to be rough/grainy to my touch. From a look standpoint, it looks the same as the rest of the car. The rest of the car is glassy smooth and makes no noice when I lightly run my finger across it. The spot I am talking about makes a grainy/sandpaperish sound when I lightly run my finger accross it. The Mother`s Showtime for some reason cannot remove the rough/grainy feel. Does anyone know what this could be? It seems like contamination that is too tough for the detailing spray?

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I hope to bring you good news (the fruit of your advice) when I am finished.

Enjoy Christmas everyone! :)

l33
12-25-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by detailbarn

Welcome to Autopia Chris

Congrats on your new car , that`s a beautiful car! You made a good choice with the Menzerna their polishes are my staple product for all the german cars I detail. I would suggest giving the SL a good bath first and then clay the entire car. Being in NJ myself I can tell you there is quite a bit of fallout on the finish already. After you`ve done those two steps I would polish the car with Menzerna Final Polish and then apply two coats of FMJ , it will look stunning. Here is a picture of an Audi I detailed that has FMJ on it.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/4717audi-med.jpg

:up

imported_Burlyq
12-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Don`t use a polish on that if it`s that new please. Paint cleaner like P21s then FMJ. Zaino 2 is really good on light cars. I`m a huge menzerna fan but the new Z2 is making waves. I don`t think you`ll have any problems using z6 on FMJ, just dilute 50/50 with water to make it last and get good value. Whatever you chose, pease don`t use a true polish thinking that`s going to improve your shine. Cleaner/Sealant that`s it, at the most you would want to clay first. Cleaners may shorten the durabilty of your sealants, but they also make them achieve that mirror shine.

l33
12-26-2004, 05:34 AM
Why not? FP2 has very light abrasives in it. If used with a PC you won`t hurt the ceramiclear at all. FP2 / PC is excellent for prepping before a sealant.