PDA

View Full Version : Highly polished muffler on sportbike, how to polish out very fine scratches?

03WRXMA
12-20-2004, 06:21 PM
The can is made out of aluminum and is polished to almost a chrome like finish. It gets a few very small marks in it from cleaning, and grime on the road.

What product should I use to polish the marks out? Thanks!

togwt
12-21-2004, 05:25 AM
~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations

1.Use a mild polish (P21S Muti-Surface Finish Restorer) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating and restore lustre to the chrome

2.To restore chrome that is pitted or has rust spots, remove with #0000 synthetic steel wool and /or a metal polish (Auto Wenol Blue)

3.For very fine swirl marks by adding a light abrasives to a wax (1/3 abrasive to 2/3 wax) produces a cleaner/wax and use Talcum powder applied with a damp micro fibre cloth as a final polish

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

SilverLexus
12-21-2004, 12:47 PM
What TOGWT said, plus also consider Wenol and Flitz which are pretty good products as well.

Flexin
12-21-2004, 12:59 PM
It depends on how bad the scratches are. Give TOGWT`s ideas a try and if they don`t work then you may need to wet sand them. If they are not to bad you can start with 1000 wet sand paper followed by 1500 and then 2000. After that polish with a metal polish a few times then stand back and enjoy your work.

James

admac
12-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Flexin

It depends on how bad the scratches are. Give TOGWT`s ideas a try and if they don`t work then you may need to wet sand them. If they are not to bad you can start with 1000 wet sand paper followed by 1500 and then 2000. After that polish with a metal polish a few times then stand back and enjoy your work.

James

hey james! how`s it going man? this is thunderex from cf. welcome to autopia. lots of great info here.

Flexin
12-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by admac

hey james! how`s it going man? this is thunderex from cf. welcome to autopia. lots of great info here.

Hey whats up? Your right. I`m getting all kinds of good info here.

James

admac
12-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Flexin

Hey whats up? Your right. I`m getting all kinds of good info here.

James

cool. you`ll soon find youself spending too much money on stuff for washing your car and bike.

Flexin
12-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by admac

cool. you`ll soon find youself spending too much money on stuff for washing your car and bike.

I spend a bit now. When I first got the bike I would ride the bike on temps just above freezing and then wash it in my garage. And I`m going to start a business the first of next year so it will get cheaper in a way. :D I`ll pay myself to detail the bike and car. :up

James

03WRXMA
12-23-2004, 03:30 PM
The marks can`t even be left with a finger nail...

However you can kind of see them in the right light, and being crazy I just can`t handle it!

Any more good products to use?

the other pc
12-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Here`s a post over on MOL about polishing aluminum.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273

PC.