PDA

View Full Version : paint chip repair

spree
12-20-2004, 11:38 AM
While I was washing my car yesterday, I noticed that i had a paint chip on my passenger side door. I want to repair it because it is noticeable, but this would be my first time attempting something like this. I plan on following the scratch/chip repair guide that`s up on this site. I just have a couple of questions...

1) I have a black `04 ford cobra. I don`t have any Ford touchup paint, but I do have some black GM touchup paint. Would it be alright if I used the GM paint, or do I have to get some Ford paint?

2) Where can I buy some meguiar`s unigrit? This would be my first time wetsanding, so what grit should I go with?

3) Would SSR2.5 with a cutting pad on a PC be good enough to repair the area that I wetsanded, or do I need something more abbrasive?

And of course...please let me know if you have any other handy tips/suggestions for repairing it.

zzyyzx
12-20-2004, 12:12 PM
I would get the exact Touch-Up paint from Ford. Or at least verify the color code is the same. You may not think there would be a difference, but there probably is. Also, check out paint pens like the following:

http://www.paintscratch.com/

I`m not recommending that brand as I haven`t used it, but those are usually a lot easier than the brushes.

You could probably by the sand paper at a local body shop. There`s lots of them in the LA area. Use very very ultra fine grit designed for automotive use. If you run your finger across it, it will almost feel smooth.

The SSR2.5 would probably work. I shined up an area that had been wetsanded with some DACP and a cutting pad this weekend. Once you`ve run over it a couple time, use some less aggressive pads & polishes to really shine it up.

When it warms up here, I found a LOT of chips that I need to repair. It is going to be a bunch of work. :(

airjames
12-20-2004, 12:13 PM
1.) Very nice ride. You could use the black GM paint, but IMO, GM seems to have a softer type of paint whereas Ford, theres seem to be harder. To be honest, never tried this before either so just be safe, I would buy some like Dupli-Color Universal Touch up paint.

2.) For touch up work, I don`t really know why wetsanding would help anything, other than grit up the surface and clean out any impurities in the paint chip. IF it were me, I would completly dewax and degrease the area, get it perfectly cleaned out. Maybe something like Meguiars APC diluted 3:1 with a spray on application and wipe clean would work. I don`t know much about repairing paint chips but if wetsanding is necessary here, you can buy Meguiars Unigrit Finishing Papers either straight from there sit or some sort of PBE store would have these. Start off with there 3000grit, this is the least aggressive Meguiars makes.

3.) For removing sanding marks, a rotary with a cutting pad and a good name brand compound is usually the ideal tool and combo for this job. You could try the PC and see how it works.

All in All: I am by far no expert in this field but I do know some basics. Maybe some other members that have more of a expertise understanding of this can help you out more. Please anyone feel free to correct information I gave out,,,,,,,,AR

Jesstzn
12-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I have done the same proceedure your looking at on my Black VW numerous times. It works if you follow it to a *T*

Also if you find the Unigrit hard to come by use 2000 wet and 2.5 on a cutting pad should do it .. I use DACP.

There is also a link on my web page to chip filling.

I have used Duplicolors GM black on my VW and its a match but on a Jag/Ford it wasn`t.

I tried the pens .. didn`t like them if your going to sand or use Lanka.

Eliot Ness
12-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by zzyyzx

..........Also, check out paint pens like the following:

http://www.paintscratch.com/

I`m not recommending that brand as I haven`t used it, but those are usually a lot easier than the brushes.......

That site also sells their touch-up paint is small bottles with a little brush. They also have some FAQ`s on doing touch-up`s if you`re interested.

salty
12-20-2004, 05:53 PM
If it is basic black with no met. flakes GM black should work. Remember that you will be applying several coats, letting the paint dry in between. If the paint doesn`t match after the first coat then order the right paint. Phone your dealer with your VIN number and it should arrive the next day. Also if the chip is down to metal , you should prime it first. Always keep the paint in the chip, this goes for scratches too. If you don`t like the little brush in the paint tube, go to Wal-Mart or such and buy an ultra fine artist brush, really good for fine scratches.