PDA

View Full Version : Why expensive cars = careless owners?

Pages : [1] 2 3

KenSilver
12-20-2004, 09:20 AM
I`m really surprised at the number of client`s high end cars, both here and on other forums, that show long term owner neglect. Not just swirls and bad cleans, but downright abuse.

It`s not only on the forums, but all round me. There`s a nice 2003 Mercedes SL500 in my area that is constantly dirty and has blackened front wheels from a lot of brake dust. It hasn`t seen a wash since the last rain. It`s typical of a lot of Mercs here.

My SL500 was in the paint shop recently, and while I was there visiting a couple of times I saw a late model Porsche was being worked on - it looked like crap.

And they also had this 2001 Ferrari 360 - which shows up nicely in the photo below when they did a quick detail after a repair. But on close inspection there are stone chips everywhere. The body paint looks like 20 years old, the engine see-through cover is badly scratched, and the interior looks more like a 4x4 after a weekend of offroad.

What is it that causes this affliction among the rich? Is it new money - they`re not used to looking after good stuff? Too little time in the day to keep up appearances? The `I have so much money I don`t care` kind of thing?

Maybe it`s not a bad thing... it keeps a lot of detailers here in business!

Ken Silver

--------------

1999 Mercedes SLK, 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas). Finish detailing, then start all over again...

http://www.kensilver.com/ferrari.jpg

GoodnClean
12-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Yep, thats definately the case. I think its a kind of "breifcase" mentality where to them a car is simply an expendable item that is used for a while, then replaced. A lot of it probably also has to do with the prevelence of leasing in high end cars too. The "its just a rental" thing...

splattj
12-20-2004, 09:35 AM
If you break-down the hourly pay that people who can truly afford those cars make, you`d find out why it`s too much to ask of them to take care of the cars. They usually have more money than time so they`ll just pay to have the cars "fixed" instead of taking proper care of the them. Maybe they`re paying the gardener to wash the car with a gritty rag. Who knows. Just take their money and smile.

Pondscum
12-20-2004, 09:47 AM
I don`t think income level has anything to do with it. It`s not any different than people at lower income levels. My dad always taught me to take care of our things. Some people are either taught this by their parents, or learn it on their own, but many just don`t have much self-respect.

I live in a very nice neighborhood. I spend a lot of time maintaining my house, lawn, trees, bushes, etc. Fortunately we have an active home owner`s association that gets after people who don`t properly maintain their property. Believe me there are plenty.

scottabir
12-20-2004, 09:54 AM
detailing for money on the weekends has made me realize that it is not just people with money that dont take care of their cars or lack the knowledge of doing it correctly. The only difference is the price tag of the cars.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by KenSilver

What is it that causes this affliction among the rich? Is it new money - they`re not used to looking after good stuff? Too little time in the day to keep up appearances? The `I have so much money I don`t care` kind of thing?

Maybe it`s not a bad thing... it keeps a lot of detailers here in business!

From the viewpoint of successfully marketing a professional detailing business, it just goes to show that you do not have to look too far to `Find A Need And Fill It`.

Just look around. Dirty, neglected vehicles are everywhere and in many cases the owners are just waiting to pay someone to properly maintain their appearance.

AudiOn19s
12-20-2004, 10:18 AM
I agree with what Scott Said. I find that I often look at a 100k car with bad paint and wonder how the owner could have let the car slip into that condition...the reality of it is that weather it`s a Honda or a Ferrari if it was owned by this person it would be in the exact same shape as the cause is that they simply don`t know how to properly care for it rather than a case of neglect.

just my .02 though

raymond_ho2002
12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by KenSilver

But on close inspection there are stone chips everywhere. The body paint looks like 20 years old, the engine see-through cover is badly scratched, and the interior looks more like a 4x4 after a weekend of offroad.

Hey that means the owner actually drives it! :) I think what bothers me more is people that have a car like that just to own one. If one is too afraid to drive it, then the car probably cost too much to them and they should`ve bought something they would`ve enjoyed more often.

TW85 HHI
12-20-2004, 10:47 AM
A lot of times, regardless of income or cost of the car(s), neglect is a result of not having the time to take care of the car. That is the case with most of the people I know.

Then you have the people that just do not give a rats ***. I know a couple of people that fall into that category.

safetyman2010
12-20-2004, 01:22 PM
I have a number of clients that fall into this category and find that they just don`t care. They will get a new Mercedes every 3 years and that is basically their version of a clean up - replacing the car. I have turned one guy around and now he gets his new s430 done every week or two but I still have to call him and bug him or he will just forget and leave it. Really sad. The whole thing about earning enough to afford a nice ride is enjoying it. What`s the point if it just gets trashed?

jfelbab
12-20-2004, 02:11 PM
In my experience most of the leased cars are treated like crap and the owned cars are better cared for. I suspect that the leasor doesn`t really care about it if he plans on replacing it in a couple years. In fact the people who bring in leased cars seldom comment one way or the other on my details while the owners always express their gratitude for a good job.

CaseyH
12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
I think it just stands out more to see a dirty expensive car . You wanna see a dirty car, look at 90% of the beaters out there.

imported_memnuts
12-20-2004, 03:06 PM
It all depends on where your priorities are. Some drive vehicles for transportation and do not give one hoot if it is dirty. Some love, like us, to maintain that pristine appearance no matter if an economy vehicle or hi-end sportscar.

What bothers one as a health care provider is the vehicle owners that spend more time making their vehicles look cared for and their own personal appearance (fitness, obesity, etc.) is neglected. One can always buy/lease a new vehicle, but we are given only one heart, lungs, liver, skeletal system, etc.:nixweiss

SilverLexus
12-20-2004, 04:15 PM
You should have seen the Lamborghinis at the 2004 Auto Show in Atlanta...bad swirls and these were brand new vehicles. The detailers they hired were walking around the show with cotton terry towels :shocked wiping down the cars with Windex and lord knows what else.

And this was an Auto Show!

hftw Audi 6
12-20-2004, 04:44 PM
I live in Shoreham New York not far from the hamptons and around my area and out east more there are people with every exotic and expensive car you can possibly think of and maybe 10 percent of them are properly cared for! It`s sad really!