PDA

View Full Version : Car doors freezing shut?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Corey Bit Spank
12-19-2004, 06:42 PM
:( Yup. 3 degrees will do it. How do I fix this problem?

zzyyzx
12-19-2004, 07:08 PM
What`s freezing? Hinges? Locks? Door opening mechanism? Was there water around the door and it froze?

I remember I was in Gallup, NM many years ago and it was 40 below and lots of stuff froze on our car, including the locks. We just had to wait until it unfroze. Thank goodness we were only there for a night or two. When it`s not frozen, you can try some graphite inside the lock.

White95Max
12-19-2004, 07:18 PM
To keep your locks from freezing, you can inject some WD-40 into the locks and insert the key a bunch of times and turn it back and forth for several minutes.

If you mean the actual doors won`t open because they`re frozen shut, just make sure that the door jambs are free of any water when it`s going to be below freezing. Make sure you get any water out of / off of the hinges too.

Corey Bit Spank
12-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Oh it`s the door itself to the car, i think.

imported_Adamah
12-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Next time make sure your door seals are dry and use 303 or Gummipflege on them. That will help. Also use a small square of electrical tape over the keyhole when you wash to prevent any water from entering. And never use WD-40 on any lock. It may unstick the lock but will collect dust and you`ll have another problem to deal with later. Try heating the key with a lighter and thawing out the lock. Thats always worked for me before they made keyless entry.

Corey Bit Spank
12-19-2004, 07:44 PM
I don`t have a problem with the key holes (keyless entry).

I`m going to put some dressing on the seals next time it thaws, clean the door jambs, and put some wax on the painted part of the door jamb where the seal makes contact.

Jesstzn
12-19-2004, 08:54 PM
As much as we don`t seem to like them this is where the silicone products shine ( Hahaha a pun .. oh well ) Use the high silicone content tire dressing on the rubber .. GM made a dressing for the rubber that was a silicone emulsion and it works great in the cold also.. I wash my car a lot at anything above 32F and it drops below that after and I don`t have issues.

A graphite spray on the rubber will also help.

Flexin
12-19-2004, 08:58 PM
BTW make sure you turn your locks every now and then. I seen a woman that couldn`t get in her Jeep because the battery went in her key fob so the keyless entry wouldn`t work and the locks wouldn`t turn because she never uses them.

James

Corey Bit Spank
12-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Hmmmmm I`ll have to break out the good old armor all!

Or if i can find some, finish 2001!

White95Max
12-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I would also recommend applying Gummipflege to the weatherstripping. That stuff is great. (I ordered a second bottle from David even though I`ve only used the first bottle twice and have almost a full bottle left!)

stilez
12-19-2004, 09:09 PM
My dad always taught me for ice...

With a glove on, clench your fist, and like your banging on a home door, bang around the perimeter of the door. It has always worked for me.

ScubaStevo
12-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Just pull really hard. :)

BoxsterCharlie
12-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Flexin

BTW make sure you turn your locks every now and then. I seen a woman that couldn`t get in her Jeep because the battery went in her key fob so the keyless entry wouldn`t work and the locks wouldn`t turn because she never uses them.

James

Good point! :up

Corey Bit Spank
12-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Flexin

James

This happens often because I lose my keys and use another set quite often. :o

Corey Bit Spank
12-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

My dad always taught me for ice...

With a glove on, clench your fist, and like your banging on a home door, bang around the perimeter of the door. It has always worked for me.

That didn`t work :( It is really really cold. :mad: